POLL: Are you a lurker? If so that's fine. But why not post?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Which statement best describes why you lurk? "As a lurker, I don't post here because . . .

Poll ended at Fri May 21, 2010 1:19 pm

I just like hanging out reading other people's posts for now because that's how I am with everything."
11%
I don't feel that I understand forum procedures and etiquette well enough to post, so I am uncomfortable with the idea of it."
4%
I have not yet been motivated to post, but I would not hesitate to do so if I needed to ask for help."
5%
Hey, I'll be posting soon, so don't worry."
7%
I assume everyone who posts here knows everybody else, so I feel like an outsider."
5%
I would very much like to post, but I do not do so because I am afraid I will say something wrong and get 'yelled' at."
5%
You people scare me because too many of you seem to have 'issues.'"
4%
What a stupid poll! I should flame your a**!"
40%
What is a lurker?"
7%
None of your business."
11%

Total votes: 55

jnk

Re: POLL: Are you a lurker? If so that's fine. But why not post?

Post by jnk » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:55 pm

Sleepy Taz wrote:JNK

I enjoy reading the thoughts of others and offer mine when I feel it may be useful. Sometimes I think that I am invisible as my comments usually go unnoticed but that is OK because for the most part, what I am saying is irrelevant. I did vote that you should be flamed but that is because you are so deserving!!
Hey, did you just say something?

Just kidding.

I feel invisible sometimes too. But I take pride in being irrelevant. And I secretly crave getting flamed on a regular basis, so thanks for acknowledging how much I truly deserve it!

jnk

Re: POLL: Are you a lurker? If so, why?

Post by jnk » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:00 pm

nobody wrote:8)
Thanks to nobody.

Please note that nobody would have said more, but when nobody's cheeks are that full, all nobody can do is to make momentary delurkations in emoticon-ese.

(Also note that this avatar-related comment was made to nobody in particular.)

jnk

Post by jnk » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:08 pm

drubin007 wrote:I post when I have something to offer. Sadly, its not often
I think this is one board where making brief encouraging well-placed comments like "I know what you mean" and "Me too" and "I sometimes have that problem" and "Hang in there" to new ones can do a lot of good. I know some boards frown on making "me too" comments to inflate posting numbers, but this kind of support board seems to me to benefit a lot from posted pats on the back and thank-you comments, especially if it looks like someone needs acknowledgment but isn't getting it. That is only my opinion, but take it for what it is worth. You may have done a LOT more good than you know.

jeff

Rebecca R

Re: POLL: Are you a lurker? If so, why?

Post by Rebecca R » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:03 pm

Wulfman wrote: I hope everybody also checks out the "Flame Warriors" link (noted at the bottom of that link that Rebecca R noted. I did notice that the link has changed, but you'll be shown another screen to click on the current link......which is this one here:

http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/

....I've since become a member of a few other (non-CPAP) forums.......on which I mostly lurk and read......with an occasional post. Some of them can get or have gotten pretty nasty. This forum is "mild"......compared to others.

Den
One of the forums on the Flame Warriors site is dedicated to Random outbursts and pontificating as well to settle differences with people from other forums!!! I looked at a few threads and can't make heads or tails of them. Perhaps this is how this forum seems to outsiders. Seriously though, you are correct--this forum is mild compared to others.

JNK, did you lose a bet with CarbonMan? Why do you owe him a new keyboard and have to clean his desk?

r

ozij

Post by ozij » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:27 pm

Rebecca R wrote:
JNK, did you lose a bet with CarbonMan? Why do you owe him a new keyboard and have to clean his desk?

r
On this forum, with some members, it's better not to have coffee tea or any other liquid in your mouth when you read. carbonman must have been thinking he's on his bike, and forgotten that basic safety rule for cpaptalk members....

Another way of describing the splutter of surpised, overwhelming, uncotrollable laughter.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Severeena

Post by Severeena » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:35 am

I did not see one for Missing in Action.

Not all Masks work for everyone. Each Person is Different.

Patrick A

Post by Patrick A » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:46 am

carbonman wrote::lol:

Can I unregister and vote for “What a stupid poll! I should flame your a**!"

PS-you owe me a new keybrd.
and have to come clean my desk.
I second this motion!!!!!
Don't Bend or Squash, My Aluminum Hat,it keeps them from knowing what I am thinking!
I need more Coffee&Old Bushmills!
"Without Truckdrivers America Stops!"
I'm not always wrong,but I'm not always right!
"Semper Fi"

brajande

Post by brajande » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:14 am

It would be a shame if anyone who wanted to post was afraid to do so. I have written a few posts, some of them very long winded and with some awkward humor. There are so many people on this site, who understand a serious post, and will respond in kind even if your post is slightly "inappropriate" or misguided. Anytime I have read a post that was less than friendly or helpful, it usually appears as though the members have some history that led to the negative responses, or less serious/hilarious responses. Either way, my experience thus far has been nothing but wonderful. Everyone has been extremely supportive and helpful. Thanks again everyone.

secret agent girl

Post by secret agent girl » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:40 am

Last edited by secret agent girl on Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mars

Post by mars » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:47 am

Hi All

What I really want to know is -

Who are the Cyber Sisters lurking on this Forum? I can get into enough trouble without annoying one of them

http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/warrio ... isters.htm

Please identify yourself, so I can treat you with special care and consideration (even more so than I do with everybody else).

Otherwise I will be having nightmares about this.

(I can see myself getting into trouble just for asking)

Maybe it is all of you

Mars

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This post revised and continued at -

viewtopic/t49243/Lurking-Cyber-Sisters- ... nimity.htm

together with Muffy's post below.
Last edited by mars on Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
for an an easier, cheaper and travel-easy sleep apnea treatment :D

http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t7020 ... rapy-.html

Muffy

Here We Are!!

Post by Muffy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:40 am

mars wrote:What I really want to know is -

Who are the Cyber Sisters on this Forum? I can get into enough trouble without annoying one of them

http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/warrio ... isters.htm

Please identify yourself, so I can treat you with special care and consideration (even more so than I do with everybody else).

Muffy

Machine: Dell Dimension 8100
Mask: 3M N-95 (during flu season)
Humidifier: Avoided, tends to make me moldy
Software: XP Pro
Additional Comments: You can't find a solution when you don't know the problem

montana user

Post by montana user » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:19 am

I had a hard time posting for months, as it seemed sleep techs were not on the friendly list of people. But as I read more and paid attention to what was really being said, I had to jump in and let people know not every sleep tech is the same. I try to bite my tongue or sit on my hands rather when someone goes off about a sleep lab, but I am reminded that there are alot of unprofessional labs/techs and it is not a personal attack on me. But if you were a mechanic and everyone posted how crooked mechanics are, and they always leave your car with grease stains on the seats, I think you would get upset and understand what I mean.

I always re read the posts at least twice to make sure i understand the true meaning of it, and most of the time, its just frustration with the whole system. And I agree, it needs alot of tweaking! Keep up the good comments/questions/answers. I can tell you right now I have 6 of my patients that are lurkers! They have told me they look on this web site often but have not registered yet! I'm working on them

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:48 am

montana user wrote:I can tell you right now I have 6 of my patients that are lurkers! They have told me they look on this web site often but have not registered yet! I'm working on them
*waves to the 6 * (You all have a darn good tech helpin' you! )
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

Sleepy Taz

Post by Sleepy Taz » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:52 am

by carbonman on Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:55 pm
Sleepy Taz wrote: I did vote that you should be flamed but that is because you are so deserving!!

..now, that's relevant. Well said.

CM even a blind dog finds a bone once in a while!!

Sleepy Taz wrote:JNK

I enjoy reading the thoughts of others and offer mine when I feel it may be useful. Sometimes I think that I am invisible as my comments usually go unnoticed but that is OK because for the most part, what I am saying is irrelevant. I did vote that you should be flamed but that is because you are so deserving!!

Jnk wrote:

Hey, did you just say something?

Just kidding.

I feel invisible sometimes too. But I take pride in being irrelevant. And I secretly crave getting flamed on a regular basis, so thanks for acknowledging how much I truly deserve it!

Your secret is out now and it is good that you take pride in a worthy endeavour.
"I can't do anything about the past. I have no idea what will happen tomorrow. What matters is the present. And, just in case tomorrow should never come, I'm going to use the present as constructively as I can."

montana user

Post by montana user » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:53 am

you made my day RestedGal!!!!