Encore Pro 2 Install Difficulties

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Bear100

Encore Pro 2 Install Difficulties

Post by Bear100 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:52 am

Since it is snowing hard, I thought I would use my free time to resolve the issue with my install of the Encore 2 Pro. First off I needed 2 Pro because I have a Respironics PR System One, which only works with this version of the software. My Doctor and DME are very supportive of me having the software as they both believe in the patient having as much information as possible to help in their own treatment. I want to use the software to fine tune my sleep issues (some days great - have lots of energy, some days lethargic - with no pattern to hours slept, days of the week, food or anything else).

So I got the software - via the methods in other posts. As background I have Vista Ultimate x64 (with User Account Control turned off). According to Respironics Vista 64x is supported. I loaded it and it required some other Microsoft software: SQL Server Express, Net Framework, Windows Installer, Windows Powershift. After numerable re-starts, the install gets stuck at the Database Server page of the install wizard, I select either Windows Authentication or SQL server authentication and it gives me an error message 'Failed to connect to SQL Server'.

I then went back and de-installed it, cleaned out my registry and tried again. Same issue.

Help?
Bear100

cpapernewbie

Re: Encore Pro 2 Install Difficulties

Post by cpapernewbie » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:16 am

I have successfully installed at 2 PC with 32 bit OS Windows XP... so far - as far as I read in this forum, we can only install this software in 32 bit OS

Additional Comments: CPAP history: dumb tank, auto, PR M, PR System 1, PR BIPAP, PR System 1 model 60, Resmed S9, Resmed S10, Dreamstation
Resmed airsense 10

Bear100

Post by Bear100 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:37 am

Not sure I see the issue, as plenty of 32 bit software runs fine on 64 bit OS, for example the Microsoft Office Suite.

Can anyone shine a light on this?

blakepro

Post by blakepro » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:51 pm

I'm no expert on this, but I think it has to do with the way a 64 bit SQL server behaves v.s. a 32 bit one.

I've followed this subject quite a bit, and I dont know of anyone that has successfully gotten it to work on 64 bit. The exception to this are the people that have installed a virtual machine that is 32 bit and then they run the program out of that. I dont really count that as working on a 64 bit system because it really isnt really working on the 64 bit system. BUT, if you only have one computer, and its 64 bit, it might be the only option for you.

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:44 pm

Firewall or anti-virus software installed? I've seen others report that those tended to gum up the works.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

ClayL
Location: Palisade, CO now, was Full time in a motor home for 12 years- Anywhere USA

Post by ClayL » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:57 pm

With help from some folks here on the forum I got version 1.8.49 to work with Vista 64 bit. Maybe the process will work with V2 also.

FROM viewtopic/t48996/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45 ... 84#p410184
Postby deerhound on Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:18 pm
download sqlexpr.exe from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... layLang=en.
On this page you have a choice of 2 files. sqlexpr.exe and sqlexpr32.exe. You want sqlexpr.exe.
Now copy all of the files on the Encore Pro CD to a new folder you have created on your hard drive. Find the folder called /files/SQL 2005 in that new folder and delete SQLEXPR32.exe. Copy the file sqlexpr.exe that you have just downloaded. Paste that file in the folder you just deleted sqlexpr32.exe from. Rename sqlexpr.exe to sqlexpr32.exe. You now have the application sql Server 2005 Express which will work in 64 bit vista in the install files for encore pro. Since you renamed the file to sqlexpr32.exe, the installer program will recognize it as the file it is supposed to install. I think that you can just start the setup file from the folder you created,
but I went ahead and copied that folder onto a blank cdrom disk to create a new Encore Pro install disk, which I used to install the program.

Basically, what you are doing is replacing the application file sqlexpr32.exe which only works on a 32 bit system, with sqlexpr.exe which works on a 64 bit system as well as a 32 bit system. Renaming it to sqlexpr32.exe lets the encore pro installation program install the file you want installed, instead of the original 32 bit file.

Let me know if I can help further.
Dale

Just a follow-up on how the

installation of EncorePro went on Vista 64 bit. I followed Dale's (Gregor's) instructions and it went smoothly.
I did have an issue when I tried to do a download from my smartcard. I kept getting a "Cannot connect to device" error box, but that was my own fault because I had forgotten to go to "System settings/preferences" and set the smart card as a USB device. After that it went fine and the program works fine.

Before I figured that out I had Windows do a search for an updated driver which it found and installed. The one I had first installed from http://www.ais-magnetic.com/en/index.ph ... =15:dt3500 was named 2800x64.sys and the one added by the windows driver update was the familiar 2800.sys. I don't know which is actually being used.
Both are present in "system32/drivers". The 2800.sys file is dated July 3 2009 (26.5 KB) and the 2800x64 file (26.3 KB) is dated July 23 2008.
I do get something I did not see in WInXP . The first time I run EncorePro I get an announcement saying something about needing to recompile ChartCd or something like that to get rid of the announcement. It won't show up again until my computer is shut down and restarted.
Respironics DreamStation
Pressure = 11.5 min 14.5 max
C-Flex = 1

Dreamwear FF

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:14 pm

Last edited by SleepingUgly on Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

FinceMgr

Post by FinceMgr » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:08 pm

When using VMware you will need to install a copy of windows XP into the VMware machine. I have done this with a separate XP disk (or .iso file) but have read others have done it by downloading XP mode from the micosoft site. The hold up you may be experiencing with Windows Virtual Machine may be related to not all Intel processors being supported see this to verify yours is : http://www.grc.com/securable.htm

SleepingUgly wrote:Need help installing Windows XP Virtual Mode on Windows 7...Can anyone help?

My husband installed Windows 7 Professional on my computer. When he tries to install Windows XP mode, the install tool says that my computer, which is a Gateway DX, is not set up correctly in the bios to do hardware virtualization. When he goes to the bios setup, as instructed, it appears as if hardware virtualization is activated.

He tried to use VMWare, but when he tried to open a new virtual machine, he doesn't have a .iso file. How does he use VMWare to open a virtual Windows XP mode?

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:26 pm

SleepingUgly wrote:Need help installing Windows XP Virtual Mode on Windows 7...Can anyone help?

My husband installed Windows 7 Professional on my computer. When he tries to install Windows XP mode, the install tool says that my computer, which is a Gateway DX, is not set up correctly in the bios to do hardware virtualization. When he goes to the bios setup, as instructed, it appears as if hardware virtualization is activated.

He tried to use VMWare, but when he tried to open a new virtual machine, he doesn't have a .iso file. How does he use VMWare to open a virtual Windows XP mode?
You install the VMWare , then install XP (the Real XP OS 32 bit) in a virt window, just like you are installing the OS it a new computer. (that's really what you are doing) Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

hayeswildrick

Post by hayeswildrick » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:15 am

My mind is spinning!
Can anyone give a simple, step-by-step process for installing Encore 2.2 on a Vista 32 bit system?

I'll be trying to install later this week, and anything to simplify will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:12 am

hayeswildrick wrote:My mind is spinning!
Can anyone give a simple, step-by-step process for installing Encore 2.2 on a Vista 32 bit system?

I'll be trying to install later this week, and anything to simplify will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff
First install the WindowsInstaller 4.5.exe software. You will probably need to restart.
Second, double-click EP2Setup.exe.
Follow the prompts. If you need the Smartcard software install it, but my drivers worked from the older version with no problem.

hayeswildrick

Post by hayeswildrick » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:16 am

Sleeprider wrote:
hayeswildrick wrote:My mind is spinning!

Thanks,
Jeff
First install the WindowsInstaller 4.5.exe software. You will probably need to restart.
Second, double-click EP2Setup.exe.
Follow the prompts. If you need the Smartcard software install it, but my drivers worked from the older version with no problem.

Here are the instructions I found on Microsoft's website for Windows Installer 4.5
Instructions
Download the file that is appropriate for your operating system version and platform.

For Windows Vista, Windows Vista Service Pack 1 and Windows Server 2008:
x86 Platform: Windows6.0-KB942288-v2-x86.msu
x64 Platform: Windows6.0-KB942288-v2-x64.msu
IA64 Platform: Windows6.0-KB942288-v2-ia64.msu

I'm running Vista with Service Pack 2 on a 32 bit system. Based on these instructions I have no idea which file to download - or if perhaps SP2 upgraded installer already! Sorry to sound like such a dunce, but I don't want to have my computer crash!

Jeff

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:49 am

For you Windows6.0-KB942288-v2-x86.msu

The installer 4.5 has been out since June 2008 when only SP1 was available. The same update works for SP2.