Water in mask without humidifier on

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
calamityjane403

Water in mask without humidifier on

Post by calamityjane403 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:58 am

I have the new Respironics EasyLife mask and I totally love it but I have had a moisture problem the last couple of nights. I haven't been using my humidifier for about a week and the last couple of nights have woke up with moisture in my mask. I read some of the posts on this forum about hose covers but they all say to use in conjunction with a humidifier. Would it help with the mask moisture even if I am not using the humidifier? If it won't any suggestions on what will?

Thanks,
Tina

p.s. I do use my humidifier it is just that I haven't needed it the last week or so.

techno-snoreus

Re: Water in mask without humidifier on

Post by techno-snoreus » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:17 am

Whenever I wake up with moisture in my mask, it's usually from me drooling all night!!

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:42 pm

If you are using no humidifier (including passive unheated), the moisture source is your breath. It is condensing on the relatively colder mask. What temperature do you sleep in at night? A hose cover would not prevent this problem. Increasing ambient temperature, or the delivered air temperature would likely reduce or eliminate condensation. A heated hose or increased room temperature is your most likely answer.

TerryB

Post by TerryB » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:12 pm

It's likely that the moisture is coming from your own exhalations.
So, you could solve it by just not breathing, but of course the reason you're using this
tough therapy is that breathing is good for you.
So, sleeprider's advice is correct, you need to raise the temperature in the room or in the hose.

If you exhale into the mask and see a cloud of fog (look in a hand held mirror), that
condensation will build up into the moisture you're seeing.

Good luck,
TerryB

Imacpaper

Post by Imacpaper » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:25 pm

I have to say "Amen" to what has been said already. I had moisture in my Hybrid and thought it was drool. I made a heated hose with the reptile heater cord ( total cost $19.50) and now no problem, so it was moisture from breath.

PurpleSwan3033

Post by PurpleSwan3033 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:10 am

Hi, Imacpaper......

Would you please post directions on how you made your heated hose with the Repti Heating Cable and please be specific as to what and how to do it, how do you turn it off, etc.? Thanks.