Encore Pro 2 Software Problem

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
GumbyCT

Re: Encore Pro 2 Software Problem

Post by GumbyCT » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:28 pm

Are YOU logging on an Administrator acct.??

Or do you have some software to protect your machine??

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

Muffy

Post by Muffy » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:30 pm

Try the unregister re-register thing:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555175

Hey, if it works for Ver 1.0, why not 4 or whatever we're up to?

Muffy

Machine: Dell Dimension 8100
Mask: 3M N-95 (during flu season)
Humidifier: Avoided, tends to make me moldy
Software: XP Pro
Additional Comments: You can't find a solution when you don't know the problem

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:41 pm

Muffy wrote:Try the unregister re-register thing:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555175

Hey, if it works for Ver 1.0, why not 4 or whatever we're up to?

Muffy
Is that the ICM registration??
Keywords:
kbpubmvp kbpubtypecca kbhowto KB555175

Great find ICM Gold Muffy!!

;)

barry15

Post by barry15 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:37 am

Well, at least I fixed the problem with Windows Installer. Thanks, Muffy, I did indeed have to re-register Windows Installer service, and now I can install programs again. I found that the path to the program for Windows Installer was incorrect in the registry, so I had to correct that, then re-register it. I have no idea how the path got changed, though. Funny stuff is going on here.

Anyway, I was able to install programs again, so I installed the Microsoft Installer Clean Up Utility, but found no traces of SQL Server or Respironics Encore Pro anywhere. I also installed a registry cleaner (Comodo System-Cleaner), and cleaned up the registry and other things. I think that was well worth doing, but I don't see how it helped my problem with Encore Pro.

Eventually, I tried again to install Encore Pro 2, and it again hung up when it came to the step of configuring the Encore Pro SQL database. (This time I noticed an enigmatic error message that indicated that the Encore Pro Database had been "suspended", whatever that means.) I did not turn off ZoneAlarm first, so I suppose I should try that before giving up. I hate to give up on computer stuff, but I just don't know what else to try. Maybe I will come up with something when I sleep on it again tonight.

Tomorrow I will try installing it to the Vista partition and see if that works. The real mystery to me is that I was able to install Encore Pro 2.2 several days ago, but now I can't. It worked fine for three or four days, then suddenly stopped working and all these problems ensued. I suspect the issue is connected to trying to uninstall SQL Server, but I don't know why. I also have no clue as to why the program stopped working, when it had worked fine for several days. I guess some more Google searches are in order tomorrow, too.

As I said, I hate to give up, but I am out of ideas for now. Tomorrow, I'll report here on my attempt to install Encore Pro 2 to the Vista partition on my main computer, and if that doesn't work, I'll try to install it on my laptop. My wife isn't very keen on my attempting to install it on her computer, after watching me struggle with it for two days, but I might try that before I am done, too. Maybe I'll think of something else while I am sleeping tonight. At least I had a good night last night (based on how I felt, not on the data, since I can't download my data). Maybe tonight will be another "good" night.

Barry

Edit: By the way, I made a number of System Restore points along the way, and I can't restore to any of them. I don't know why, but System Restore has never worked for me at all. I can choose a restore point, and it appears to be doing the restore, but after rebooting, it tells me that it wasn't able to restore to that point. No clue as to why not. Thanks, Bill Gates. NOT!

josef

Post by josef » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:31 am

barry15 wrote: Edit: By the way, I made a number of System Restore points along the way, and I can't restore to any of them. I don't know why, but System Restore has never worked for me at all. I can choose a restore point, and it appears to be doing the restore, but after rebooting, it tells me that it wasn't able to restore to that point. No clue as to why not. Thanks, Bill Gates. NOT!
Can you give me the error code or the exact wording you receive on a faied restore??

FinceMgr

Post by FinceMgr » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:40 am

First try disabling Zone Alarm, it may be causing your problem. Frankly Zone Alarm is very invasive, naggy and not particularly effective.
Grab a copy of MS security Essentials here free and get your computer's performance back.
http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

barry15

Post by barry15 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:11 am

josef wrote:
barry15 wrote: Edit: By the way, I made a number of System Restore points along the way, and I can't restore to any of them. I don't know why, but System Restore has never worked for me at all. I can choose a restore point, and it appears to be doing the restore, but after rebooting, it tells me that it wasn't able to restore to that point. No clue as to why not. Thanks, Bill Gates. NOT!
Can you give me the error code or the exact wording you receive on a faied restore??
Sure. The system reboots, then before Windows opens completely, I get a screen that says "Restoration incomplete. Your computer cannot be returned to [name of restore point]. No changes have been made to your computer. To choose another restore point, restart System Restore."

I haven't researched this or tried to solve the mystery of why it happens, but if you can give me any hints without a lot of effort on your part, that would be great. I'll pursue a solution after all these other issues are taken care of. I have never seen any result except this from an attempt to restore to a restore point. I have tried restoring to system generated restore points and manually created ones. Same result every time.

FinceMgr - I'll definitely try it with ZA disabled, as soon as I have had some breakfast, and I'll post a report of the results here. Then I'll try some more Google searching (with respect to SQL installation problems, mostly), and then by this afternoon will try installing Encore Pro 2 in the Vista partition, where SQL has never been installed before. If that also fails, then I'll try it on my laptop. I want to see my data from the last three nights. I slept well again last night, for the second night in a row, and I want to see the numbers and the charts.

Onward and upward...

Barry

barry15

Post by barry15 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:15 am

GumbyCT wrote:Are YOU logging on an Administrator acct.??

Or do you have some software to protect your machine??
I guess I overlooked replying to this yesterday, sorry. Yes, my only account on the computer is the Admisnistrator account. The only protection software on my computer that I am aware of is Zone Alarm Internet Security. Since I installed a new version of ZA Internet Seceurity between the time I succesfully installed Encore Pro 2 (last week) and the times it has failed, it would be logical to try disabling it and trying again. I will do that shortly.

Barry

FinceMgr

Post by FinceMgr » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:23 am

Sorry EP2 in Vista or Windows 7 without a virtual machine is likely to be problematic, search the old posts.
barry15 wrote:
josef wrote:
barry15 wrote: ...

FinceMgr -... and then by this afternoon will try installing Encore Pro 2 in the Vista partition, where SQL has never been installed before. ...

Barry

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:23 pm

I don't know if this is any help but will post just in case.

I have Encore Viewer (same data as Encore Pro but no SQL) and ran is just fine with Windows Vista. Then I upgraded to Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit. I had problems immediatley with Encore Viewer. I could not get the data from the smart card and Viewer was not working.

I was having trouble with my Anti-Virus program with Windows 7, even though I was supposed to have the latest version of that AV program. I swtiched to another Anti-Virus program and, after more than a month now, things are working fine.

I am not very computer literate but, as I follow this thread, I wonder if the problem may be the same as my problem - the anti-virus program.

Just wanted to post it in case it might help!

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

barry15

Post by barry15 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:19 pm

Hawthorne wrote:I don't know if this is any help but will post just in case.

I have Encore Viewer (same data as Encore Pro but no SQL) and ran is just fine with Windows Vista. Then I upgraded to Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit. I had problems immediatley with Encore Viewer. I could not get the data from the smart card and Viewer was not working.

I was having trouble with my Anti-Virus program with Windows 7, even though I was supposed to have the latest version of that AV program. I swtiched to another Anti-Virus program and, after more than a month now, things are working fine.

I am not very computer literate but, as I follow this thread, I wonder if the problem may be the same as my problem - the anti-virus program.

Just wanted to post it in case it might help!
Thanks, Hawthorne. I tried it with Zonealarm turned off (disconnected from the internet), and got the same results twice more. The installation problem definitely seems to be connected with SQL, as the installation goes through all the installing of SQL Server 2008, and then it hangs when it tries to configure the Encore Pro 2 SQL Database.

Another possible clue - when I uninstall SQL Server 2008, it is a complicated process, and at one point I get an error message that says "An installation for Encore Pro 2 Database is currently suspended. You must undo changes made by that installation to continue. Do you want to undo those changes?" I can't see any way to answer yes to that last question, except by clicking Next at the bottom of that window, so that is what I have been doing. I don't understand that error message, as I don't know what it means for an installation of a database to be suspended. I guess I assume that it is suspended because the installation hung and I had to shut down the computer.

I'm in Vista now, and I am about to try to install Encore Pro 2 here. We will see...

Barry

barry15

Post by barry15 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:16 pm

Well, Encore Pro 2 installed just fine in the Vista partition, the first time. I adjusted the time zone, added myself as a patient, and downloaded the data from my card. We'll see if it keeps on working or if it develops problems over time. It worked fine in the XP partition, too, for several days, before becoming inoperable. It will be a minor nuisance to reboot into Vista every time I want to download data, but the reports are saved as PDF documents, so I should be able to read or print them from XP, if I want to refer to past data.

I'll continue to try to figure out why I can't re-install to the XP partition now, but it has a lower priority now.

Thanks to everyone for the ideas and suggestions. I learned some things, and it kept me off the streets for a couple of days, so it wasn't all bad.

Incidentally, my data for the last three nights matched my subjective judgment of each nights sleep quality. Last night was the best one yet, with my pressure hardly getting off the minimum until the last hour before I got up. AHI was 2.0, which is as good as I have gotten so far. I did have a large leak for an hour or so, but there were no events in that time, and my pressure just chugged along at the minimum that whole time.

I am experimenting with the various settings, masks, nasal decongestants, etc. In general, it appears that my AHI is lower with a nasal mask, but I feel more rested with the full face mask (Quattro). Nasal congestion at night (swollen turbinates) has always been a problem for me, and I have been using Claritin just before going to bed (per falcon1's suggestion in old threads here - do a search if you have nasal congestion problems), and the last two nights have been as good as it gets for my nose. It is early days yet, and I have a lot more experimenting to do, but it is nice to get a couple good nights of sleep. When I gather more data (assuming that Encore Pro 2 continues to work, knock on wood), I'll post more info on my experiences in new threads. I love this board - what a wonderful resource.

Barry

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:34 pm

barry15 wrote: I did have a large leak for an hour or so, but there were no events in that time, and my pressure just chugged along at the minimum that whole time.
fwiw - When you have leaks esp. large leaks the machine canNOT detect when/if you have stopped breathing or other events that it is capable of detecting. So just beware anytime your leaks are NOT controlled your data is suspect to say the least.

AHI data is useless without knowing mask make/model, pressure, AND leak info. JMMO - Just My Meaningless Opinion.

Glad you got it working. You might try searching here - I know I have seen people post about how they were able to get by this SQL problem.

;)

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:49 pm

I am now wondering if you have had any power interruptions which could have caused your problems?

Why was it that you uninstalled Encore? When you went to re-install Encore and it appeared locked - how did you get out of it? Did you have to pop the power? While the Installer was running?

I know sometimes Encore appears locked but it is just busy. It is not a windows friendly program.

;)

barry15

Post by barry15 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:27 pm

GumbyCT wrote:I am now wondering if you have had any power interruptions which could have caused your problems?

Why was it that you uninstalled Encore? When you went to re-install Encore and it appeared locked - how did you get out of it? Did you have to pop the power? While the Installer was running?

I know sometimes Encore appears locked but it is just busy. It is not a windows friendly program.
No power outages recently.

I uninstalled Encore Pro because, after working fine for three or four days, my computer would freeze at the log in screen for Encore Pro 2. The program opened, but when I entered the user name and password, everything would freeze when I tried to log in. Nothing on my computer would respond, so I had to power down. I tried it three or four times, and it always did the same thing, freeze when I tried to log in.

So, I decided I had to uninstall Encore Pro 2 and re-install it. Then, when I started trying to re-install, it would hang at the stage where it was trying to configure the Encore Pro 2 Database. It seemed to successfully install SQL Server 2008 Express, and then when it started into the installation of Encore Pro itself, it would hang. Everything on the computer would be frozen, and I would have to power down (while the installer was supposedly running, yes). I gave it over an hour one time, in case it was just slow. Then I would go through the whole complicated uninstall process for SQL, delete the files and folders in Program Files, and then try again. Same result every time.

I still haven't gotten System Restore to work, and I tried it from Safe Mode as well as normal mode, with system generated restore points and user generated restore points. As reported above, Encore Pro 2 installed in the Vista partition just fine, the first time. Note that my machine is a 32 bit machine. Problems in other threads seem to be with 64 bit machines and Vista or Windows 7.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. I would still like to be able to install Encore Pro 2 in the XP partition, but I am out of ideas.

Barry