suggestions to Johnny for the board

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jnk

Re: suggestions to Johnny for the board

Post by jnk » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:01 pm

desert rider wrote:While the Suggestion Box is open, I would love to see categories for the posts. This is the only forum I follow that doesn't organize posts by categories. I find it much more difficult to follow this forum when all of the topics are listed in one long "bucket". Topic categories make it easier to find the topics that interest you and skip the ones that don't.

Possible categories might include:
  • Newcomer's Corner: Welcome to the start of your xPAP journey
  • xPAP Devices: Everything about the xPAP machines & humidifiers
  • Masks: Everything about masks and leakage
  • Other Equipment and Mods: Hoses, filters, headgear, and general modifications and upgrades
  • Readers and Data: Working with those pesky card readers and your nightly data
  • Water Cooler: The place to discuss topics not entirely related to xPAP
A further related reason for no categories is to keep this forum newbie-friendly. In apnea boards with categories, newbies' questions get lost when they are posted in the wrong category, as they inevitably are. Experienced posters here can scan the 'big bucket' in seconds to find the posts with zero replies to make sure people get help in a timely fashion. The quicker the Wulfman pounces to give help, the better.

desert rider

Post by desert rider » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:30 pm

jnk wrote:A further related reason for no categories is to keep this forum newbie-friendly.
I actually found it to be just the opposite. I found the long list of topics to be a little overwhelming and at least one response to my "new guy" thread was not welcoming at all. I've also found it harder to track threads I want to follow because they fall down the list so quickly if they haven't been bumped within the past few hours. It's like reading a book where the chapters are constantly in a different order than the last time.

Special "newbies corners" are very helpful though, because the old-timers know they have to be on their best behavior there. What I call the "Water Cooler" area also serves a purpose, because it makes a good contained environment for the bare knuckle debates that are normally too politically charged for the more civil threads (the recent healthcare topics are good examples of threads that do better in their own "cage").

I follow quite a few forums, and this is the only one that isn't categorized. It's funny, because the randomness of the topics actually adds to the apnea fog.

Anyway, it looks like this has been suggested in the past. So be it. Just thought I'd toss in my opinion. That's how "bad" things get to be "good" and "good" things get better.

"Being an optimist has its ups."

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:49 pm

desert rider wrote:
jnk wrote:A further related reason for no categories is to keep this forum newbie-friendly.
I actually found it to be just the opposite. I found the long list of topics to be a little overwhelming and at least one response to my "new guy" thread was not welcoming at all. I've also found it harder to track threads I want to follow because they fall down the list so quickly if they haven't been bumped within the past few hours. It's like reading a book where the chapters are constantly in a different order than the last time.

Special "newbies corners" are very helpful though, because the old-timers know they have to be on their best behavior there. What I call the "Water Cooler" area also serves a purpose, because it makes a good contained environment for the bare knuckle debates that are normally too politically charged for the more civil threads (the recent healthcare topics are good examples of threads that do better in their own "cage").

I follow quite a few forums, and this is the only one that isn't categorized. It's funny, because the randomness of the topics actually adds to the apnea fog.

Anyway, it looks like this has been suggested in the past. So be it. Just thought I'd toss in my opinion. That's how "bad" things get to be "good" and "good" things get better.
I went to and re-read your first thread and didn't find any such thing.
All the responses you got in that one were helpful.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=46117&p=413680#p413680

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

jnk

Post by jnk » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:02 pm

There is another apnea forum that is like a stodgy library where every dusty book has its shelf and people whisper and wait for the librarians to hit them over the head when they least expect it if they put a book on the wrong shelf or dare to discuss the venerated volumes disrespectfully.

In order to make sure this place looks and feels different from that one, it has been put together differently, and many of us have come to enjoy the free-form flow of the random scattered picnic tables and sawdust floor and the people yelling across the room while keeping an eye on the door for the thirsty traveller wandering past.

This place ain't perfect, but at least it ain't like the other place. And for those who like the feel of it, it soon feels like home, even if we visit "over there" once in a while, just to shoot spit balls and throw paper wads behind the librarians' backs. And we have come to take pride in the disorganized un-library atmosphere here. Sorry if it doesn't suit your fancy. Yet. But we'd prefer it if you'd stick around here and put up with the format and let it rub off on you as you humor everybody else. Heck, we even have an ex-librarian or two here, I do believe!

jeff

carbonman

Post by carbonman » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:35 pm

Wulfman wrote: at least one response to my "new guy" thread was not welcoming at all.

...yea, I hit him w/a spit ball that was intended for his DME......
he didn't know that.

I apologized as best I could.
Am trying to be more careful w/my aim.....

....do'n the best I can.

We haven't had a good "Lets categorize" thread in awhile.
They always help new folks get to know us......

Rock and Roll....lets have at it.
"If your therapy is improving your health but you're not doing anything
to see or feel those changes, you'll never know what you're capable of."
I said that.

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:16 pm

Just in response to desert rider concern about "newbie corner" - there are 2 long threads right above the main posts section, devoted to newbies (as suggested in the titles).

Also the CPAP wiki, where newbies are referred is very helpful.

When I first came here, with little or no experience, I immediately liked this format! I could look at threads that had titles that were of interest to me and go over the rest.

One other forum (not a cpap forum) I frequent, is organized with categories. I think there may be 12 categories there but, in all categories, subjects are constanly misplaced and you find something in any category that is of interest, but is not in the right category. I end up doing what I do here but I have to look through every category so that I don't miss something that was misplaced.

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

littleredtree2

Post by littleredtree2 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:34 pm

As one of the newer crowd...I would not change a thing.

This place has helped me enormisely.
I have in turn, been able to help my son, and maybe a few others I know. The amount of knowledge one CAN get here is wonderful. And the people here are too.

I have not had one problem finding what I need. And if I can't, someone else will.

Thanks for a great place to park my hose.
''Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them,
and you have their shoes."
-- Frieda Norris

Ms.Snuffleupagus

Post by Ms.Snuffleupagus » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:56 pm

littleredtree wrote:As one of the newer crowd...I would not change a thing.

This place has helped me enormisely.
I have in turn, been able to help my son, and maybe a few others I know. The amount of knowledge one CAN get here is wonderful. And the people here are too.

I have not had one problem finding what I need. And if I can't, someone else will.

Thanks for a great place to park my hose.
Ditto here. I started CPAP on Nov 18th of this year. Within a couple of days, I was able to discuss AHI's, different type of masks, how to access the daily stats on my machine, where to get a clinician's manual...didn't even know one existed.. and the list goes on and on. Thanks guys!!

gasparama

Post by gasparama » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:48 pm

I'm a forum junkie, but I really like this non-formulated one right here. It's really easier to follow the traffic without all the categories. There's one board to which I belong that has tons of wasted topics and I never know where to go. And while it is certainly understandable that the quick pace of CPAPTalk bothers newcomers, the simplicity of it all is quite nice.

GaryG

Post by GaryG » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:40 pm

Wulfman wrote: And with good reason. You'll be more educated with all aspects of sleep apnea, CPAP use and all other issues/subjects because of the way this forum is. That suggestion has been brought up numerous times and it went nowhere......thankfully.
The other CPAP/Apnea forums that categorize their subjects have turned into ghost towns. They're also highly moderated and restrict the flow of information to those who seek it (like machine settings).

The way this one is, you can read what you want and skip whatever you don't want to read, too.

Den
Agree completely. Don't fix what works. I think it works fine this way.

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:56 pm

Hey Johnnie, add some lines that are optional so that those who wanna list more details can & those who don't can carry on as is. I like it as is.

I love the informal structure of this place! Mixes the detailed technical SDB info with the off topic, help, rants, and I'm celebrating threads...wonderful mix. Everyone's quick to help newbies and point 'em in a good direction to get started or offer serious suggestions in response to some horrific cases of mis-direction from...er, let's not go there right now .

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

OldLincoln

Post by OldLincoln » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:29 pm

As one who has tested putting forth suggestions for change and has the scars to prove it, I have discovered it much more productive to change my position than the board. When I started with CPAP, I was working 10 hr days and hungry for information, so I longed for categories for efficiencies. After being laid off and having ample time, I find I prefer the current all-in-one style. I referred to it once as sitting around the kitchen table with family.

I still would like to see efficiencies of space however, which are driven by individual posters. For example, long quotes are often used with a "me too" post, or a huge signature all take space and time to get through. That's why I put my equipment in my signature as I do. I also added my DME and think that might be a good addition especially since so many posts discuss it. However, if I were Johnny, I would like to maintain a database with demographics including equipment used. Should Johnny ever decide to take sponsors, that info would be an excellent sales tool.
ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet / F&P Simplex / DME: VA
It's going to be okay in the end; if it's not okay, it's not the end.

roster

Post by roster » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:54 am

desert rider wrote:......... I've also found it harder to track threads I want to follow because they fall down the list so quickly if they haven't been bumped within the past few hours. It's like reading a book where the chapters are constantly in a different order than the last time.
Are you aware of the function of the Subscribe Topic button?

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

desert rider

Post by desert rider » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:38 am

rooster wrote:
desert rider wrote:......... I've also found it harder to track threads I want to follow because they fall down the list so quickly if they haven't been bumped within the past few hours. It's like reading a book where the chapters are constantly in a different order than the last time.
Are you aware of the function of the Subscribe Topic button?
Yep. Thanks.

"Being an optimist has its ups."

RipVW

Post by RipVW » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:49 am

Wulfman wrote:And with good reason. You'll be more educated with all aspects of sleep apnea, CPAP use and all other issues/subjects because of the way this forum is. That suggestion has been brought up numerous times and it went nowhere......thankfully.
The other CPAP/Apnea forums that categorize their subjects have turned into ghost towns. They're also highly moderated and restrict the flow of information to those who seek it (like machine settings).

The way this one is, you can read what you want and skip whatever you don't want to read, too.
Den
Yep, call me old fashioned, but I like this forum as it is. PLEASE no “catergories,” for all of the reasons noted by wulfman. And, I think we have ample ways to post whatever we desire regarding our equipment, machines . . .
Check out my chinstrap--> http://cpapchinstraps.com