Septoplasty/Turbine surgery and CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
fsmitty

Septoplasty/Turbine surgery and CPAP

Post by fsmitty » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:50 am

On Dec 3rd, I am going into hospital to have Septoplasty/Turbine reduction surgery.

When other people had this surgery, did they have to take their CPAP machine to the hospital? My ENT nurse's have told me to bring the machine even though I won't be able to use it due to it having nasal pillows. I am worried that they might loose the machine during surgery. I have requested a 23 hour stay due to me living alone. Is it normal to be told to bring the CPAP machine.

Gerryk

Re: Septoplasty/Turbine surgery and CPAP

Post by Gerryk » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:37 am

Talk to your doc, both the doc doing the surgery and your sleep doc, but mostly the one doing the surgery. You will probably want to use some kind of full face mask afterwards. Also talk to someone at the hospital about having your machine checked out by their maintenance department, they will need to check it electrically and put a tag on it stating it has passed inspection.
You also want to put your name on everything. Every part of the machine even the humidifier chamber.

Gerry

cflame1

Post by cflame1 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:42 am

good luck fsmitty... and I'm watching the topic so that I know the answer as well... mine's in 17 days.

hrc54

Post by hrc54 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:14 pm

Hi-

I had my surgery in July. I was, also, told to bring my cpap machine with me. For insurance purposes, my understanding is that it's required to stay overnight in hospital because of the sleep apnea. After the procedure(turbinate reduction and deviated septum), I was hooked up with an oxygen mask. I didn't bring the cpap because I use the nasal pillows(Breeze). It was no big deal but being unable to nose breathe my oxygen levels while awake were low. They try to keep you at 97-98%. I was so wiped out that I was glad I stayed overnight.

I can't imagine how anybody can sleep. I think I slept for 45 minutes. My nose was packed & the oxygen line had a bag of water to add humidity to it kept hitting the bed every 20 seconds. Additionally, the newest strategy to prevent blood clots in legs had me hooked up to cuffs that they put on your legs that compress every 15 seconds. First one leg then the other one. All in all glad to have it done but that night was sheer misery because my nose was packed. I would do it again including the sleepless night in hospital.

Bob

fsmitty

Post by fsmitty » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:40 am

hrc54 wrote:Hi-

I had my surgery in July. I was, also, told to bring my cpap machine with me. For insurance purposes, my understanding is that it's required to stay overnight in hospital because of the sleep apnea. After the procedure(turbinate reduction and deviated septum), I was hooked up with an oxygen mask. I didn't bring the cpap because I use the nasal pillows(Breeze). It was no big deal but being unable to nose breathe my oxygen levels while awake were low. They try to keep you at 97-98%. I was so wiped out that I was glad I stayed overnight.
Bob
Thanks for the info. I will bring the machine and ask them if on the day if it is really needed. If they say no then I will give it to my friend who is taking me to the hospital. My mask is a hybrid type which has nasal plugs which I know won't work after surgery. I am thinking that they will hook me up to oxygen to make sure that I am okay. The surgery is only a few days away and it is already giving me sleepness nights. How much time did you take off work? I am planning only taking 4 days off.

hrc54

Post by hrc54 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:50 am

Had surgery on a Monday. Packing removed next day-Tuesday. Then, the clips to keep deviated septum in place were removed on Friday. Went back to work on Monday. So, a week in total. It was said on another thread that once the packing is removed you're over the hump. So true. Never experienced pain but with packing that first night was VERY uncomfortable. Stayed out for a week not from pain but the potential of blood.

Bob

fsmitty

Post by fsmitty » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:05 am

Had my septoplasty/turbine reduction surgery last Thursday. I am now on 3 days post op and am feeling very tired and congested. My surgery went without any hitches, in fact the doctor told my friend that there was minimal bleeding. Spent the first night in the 23 hour stay unit of the hospital due to the potential for bleeding and me living alone. Didn't sleep much in the hospital due to the nurses coming around to take your vital signs. Only got slight a slight nose bleed after the first day and a little crusting. After the 2nd day, the blood that appeared and crusted in my nose has now gone. The only major discomfort is the nasal congestion. Have been using the Afrin and sinus rinse which helps a little. It gets worst at night and causes me to get bad dry mouth.

The doctors note states that I can gently blow my nose after 4 days. Not too sure if I want to try that or not. Also, my follow-up will be on Dec 17th or two weeks after surgery. I don't seem to have any packing as it would get removed before my first follow-up in two weeks. Not too sure if there are any splints up my nose as I can't see anything near the entrance of my nose. Is it possible that the doctor didn't use packing or splints?

With regards to my CPAP machine, I did have to take it to the hospital but couldn't use it. I asked the nurse why I needed to bring it. She said that some people need to use their CPAP if they get breathing issues in the recovery room. Not too sure when I am going to be able to use my CPAP machine as it has nasal pillows.

This is the worst congestion that I have ever had. I am hoping that this is all worth it in the long term.

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:19 am

Welcome back. Glad to hear your surgery went well.

My only suggestion would be to find something besides the Afrin (quickly). The rebound effects are really bad with that stuff.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

cflame1

Post by cflame1 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:23 am

I'm glad that you made it through ok.

Gerryk

Post by Gerryk » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:08 am

Welcome back, sounds like everything went well. I wonder how long that congestion lasts? Keep us updated. I am supposed to have this surgery in the spring. My doc prefers to do these in the spring, saying the recovery is easier with the air having more moisture in it.

Gerry

fsmitty

Post by fsmitty » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:44 am

Gerryk wrote:Welcome back, sounds like everything went well. I wonder how long that congestion lasts? Keep us updated. I am supposed to have this surgery in the spring. My doc prefers to do these in the spring, saying the recovery is easier with the air having more moisture in it.

Gerry
Thanks for all your encouraging words. I have also heard that it is better to either have it down in the spring/summer due to the humidity levels. Yes, I will keep all you guys/gals informed on my progress. The doctor does state that you can try blowing your nose after 4 days. That will be tomorrow, not too sure if I want to try doing that or not. This morning, I did swab around inside my nasal passages and noticed a lot of mucous. I believe that is what is causing a lot of my nasal congestion. Still the good news is that I have had no pain associated with this surgery. It is the feeling tired part that is getting to me. Yesterday, it snowed in Alabama which is unusual and this morning it is in the 20's. I want to venture outside but don't know if I should. If it gets above freezing, I might venture to the local grocery store for some more comfort food, can't get enough of that.

Thanks

Cavallo

Post by Cavallo » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:46 pm

Sounds like you're healing much better than I did. The first night in my own bed, I soaked an alarming number of washcloths with blood. My OTO repacked my right nostril at some ridiculous hour in the morning, he was so concerned. After that, healing took about twice as long as the estimates, causing me to be unable to use the backstage pass I had to a Jethro Tull concert. Cosmically bad timing.

Ultimately, though, I wouldn't trade my tiny turbinates for anything in the world. If you've spent a lifetime battling congestion, it's a minor miracle.

hrc54

Post by hrc54 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:16 pm

fsmitty-

Congrats. you made it over the hump. The packing is there to stop the bleeding. I has splints to help the septum heal in place. You can feel them but, it's unlikely you can see them unless you had a special tool. The clips are put on both sides of septum & are connected with a fish wire.

As far blowing the nose-good luck!! I waited 3 weeks- blew my nose & the next day I spent 7 hours in the emergency room with the ER Doctor trying to stop the bleeding. I had to be re-packed.

Bob

fsmitty

Post by fsmitty » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:43 am

hrc54 wrote:fsmitty-
Congrats. you made it over the hump. The packing is there to stop the bleeding. I has splints to help the septum heal in place. You can feel them but, it's unlikely you can see them unless you had a special tool. The clips are put on both sides of septum & are connected with a fish wire.
As far blowing the nose-good luck!! I waited 3 weeks- blew my nose & the next day I spent 7 hours in the emergency room with the ER Doctor trying to stop the bleeding. I had to be re-packed.
Bob
They probadly didn't have to use the packing as I didn't have much bleeding. The surgeon told my friend afterwards that there was minimal bleeding. When I wiggle my nose, I do believe that there is something up my nose, this could be the splints. The only bleeding that I did get was a slight bloody drip from the left nose. When I used Q-Tips, the left nose if the only one that has more blood. That must be the side that they did most of the surgery on. I will take you advice and not try blowing my nose. It is going to be a hard two weeks as that is when my first follow-up visit is on (Dec 17th). I had my surgery on Thursday, it is now early Monday morning and I am wondering whether I should take another sick day. Over the last few days, all I have been doing is watching TV and sleeping. I am shocked at how tired I am feeling and still feel a little bit tired this morning.

You said that you waited about 3 weeks before blowing your nose. Was the splints already taken out? Did the doctor say anything about using Neilmed sinus rinse after getting your splints out? I have read a lot of forums and people recommend using the sinus rinse. It sounds like it would be better using a sinus rinse to get the gunk out of your nose instead of blowing. I will ask my doctor on Dec 17th about nose blowing even though they said that I could do it gently on the 5th day.

hrc54

Post by hrc54 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:03 am

I waited 3 weeks, blew my nose & STILL landed in the emergency room. In hindsight, I would've waited 4-5 weeks. I had the surgery on a Monday, packing removed on Tuesday(I went home from hospital) and splints removed on Friday. I went back to work next Monday-so one week after the surgery. I, for about 3 weeks. continued to flush 4-5 times a day. Now, 3 months after, I flush every night.

Everyone is different. However, if you can stay away a couple of more days all the better. "lightly blow nose" now means to me use 20-30% the force as I can & do now. Just blow out but, don't hold the end of it which really multiplies the force. 3 weeks after the operation. I came home after seeing the doctor & proudly announced "I can blow my nose"!! My wife told me to wait & thought I was crazy. She was right!!

Bob