elated ex-insomniac

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
macoil2

elated ex-insomniac

Post by macoil2 » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:39 am

I have no friends, relatives or acquaintences to whom I can relate,what was for me a signal event so this board will have to be my surrogate audience

After complaining to the sleep,doc that three hours was my maximum sleep time because of leg pain he did a complete neurological exam prescribed a new medication and mirabile dictu I slept through the night for the first time in decades. I feel born again and I don't mean that in a religious sense.

Macoil

SLPYHED

Post by SLPYHED » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:44 am

Ok you have our attention........what was the medication you recieved?

macoil2

elated

Post by macoil2 » Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:02 am

Doc ordered 600 MG of Neurontin at bed time.Generic version is Gabapentuin

seagull

Post by seagull » Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:29 am

I took neurontin once. Tore up my stomach and I was literally foaming at the mouth. I took it for something else though. Can't remember what now.

SLPYHED

Post by SLPYHED » Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:02 pm

Be VERY careful with this one.

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:09 pm

Use the search function on this fourm with keyword: neurontin

18 previous posts regarding it.

ozij

Post by ozij » Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:33 pm

macoil2 - I'm very happy for you - and I think most of us both feel the need for surrogate audiences, and like being it.

Way to go! I wish you many many more resfult nights like this one was.

O.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:45 pm

macoil, that's great to hear! Hope it keeps working so well for you!

sleepy gal

Post by sleepy gal » Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:37 pm

Congratulations Macoil. What a wonderful thing to be able to sleep through the night!

Neurontin is well known for helping with various types of leg/foot pain, etc. It is frequently prescribed for diabetic neuropathy and for restless leg/periodic limb movement disorder.

Glad it is working for you.

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:18 pm

About Neurontin:
Neurontin was approved for sale in the mid-1990s as a treatment for epileptic seizures. However it is believed that approximately 80 percent of all Neurontin prescriptions were filled for unapproved medical conditions. Neurontin is also believed to be linked to suicidal behavior.

It is believed that Parke-Davis which was acquired by Pfizer in 2000 had a systematic strategy to market and promote Neurontin for untested uses, such as chronic pain, bipolar disorder and migraine. It is not illegal for a doctor to prescribe a drug for unapproved conditions, however it is illegal for a drug company to market a medication for unapproved uses.

In July 2003, Dateline broadcasted an investigation which accused Parke-Davis of deliberately falsifying medical information about Neurontin so doctors would prescribe the drug to treat "off-label" conditions. State and Federal prosecutors have launched investigations into the allegedly illegal marketing of Neurontin.

In its year-long investigation, Dateline interviewed a former Parke-Davis scientist who alleges company officials encouraged him to persuade physicians to prescribe Neurontin for a number of disorders, including attention deficit disorder and bipolar disease, even though there was minimal preliminary data indicating that Neurontin could help patients with those diseases.

In May 2003, The US attorney's office in Boston said in court documents that the drug company Parke-Davis, now Pfizer, gave illegal kickbacks to doctors, including trips to Puerto Rico and tickets to the 1996 Summer Olympics, to prescribe what has become the nation's best-selling anticonvulsant, Neurontin.

Below is a list of the unapproved conditions that Neurontin was marketed to treat:

The 11 illegally promoted unapproved uses for Neurontin are:

*Bipolar Disorder
*Pain Syndromes, Peripheral Neuropathy, and Diabetic Neuropathy
*Treatment of Epilepsy alone (as monotherapy)
*Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD)
*Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)
*Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS)
*Trigeminal Neuralgia
*Post-Hepatic Neuralgia (PHN)
*Essential Tremor Periodic Limb Movement
*Migraine
*Drug and Alcohol Withdrawal Seizures

macoil2

about neurontin

Post by macoil2 » Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:30 pm

It works for me so it can be a witche's brew and I will still use it. Also
Veteran's Administration will supply, my needs which eliminates some of my worry.Thanks for the information all of which is helpful.

Macoil

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:08 pm

At your age and with what you've been through, Macoil, I'd stick with it too, as long as it works right for you. I'm sure you'll be able to watch for danger signs now that those have been posted. Those are good cautions for others who might be considering it to weigh first.

dsm

Post by dsm » Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:12 pm

Mac,

Great news!. Lets hope it keeps working for you.

I for one want to hear a followup on how you are going after a few days. Keep us posted.

Cheers

DSM

xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

elliejose

Post by elliejose » Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:28 pm

Sounds similar to what the Doc just prescribed for me. I'm not sure if I want to take it . He gave me samples first. I didn't take it the first night. However the second I tried it. Again the third. It helps the pain. But I never heard the alarm clock the 2nd night I took it. Either of the 2 alarm clocks! Must have turned the off tho. Mine is called Lyrica. Generic is pregabalin used to treat diabetic neuropathy, other neuropathy pain and seisures. Sounds as if may be the same type drug. Does anyone know anything about this one? I'm for sure not going to try it on a night before a work day. Stayed sleepy all day long that day. It did help the pain tho or either I just slept sound enough to sleep through it.

Josie

SLPYHED

Post by SLPYHED » Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:40 pm

The approval for the treatment of painful diabetic polyneuropathy is especially noteworthy since only one other oral medication has ever received this approval. The added approval for post-herpetic neuralgia means that this drug will quickly be used for all kinds of neuropathic pain.

Lyrica works by binding to the subunit of a voltage-gated calcium channel in the brain and spinal cord. This reduces flow of calcium into the axon during depolarization (firing) of the neuron thereby reducing neurotransmitter release from that neuron.

In studies of painful diabetic neuropathy, Lyrica at 300 mg daily dose was shown to reduce pain scores by at least 30% about 2/3rds of the time. A 30% pain score reduction has been shown to correspond to a reduction the patient felt were clinically meaningful. Benefits were seen by the end of the first week. Dizziness and sleepiness were the most common side effect but overall the drug is very well tolerated. For a diabetic, the side effect of weight gain is likely to be most troublesome in its use.

Lyrica was also shown to be useful in the treatment of post-herpetic neuralgia. Response rates are somewhat lower than with painful diabetic neuropathy but occur at lower doses of Lyrica with 150 mg being an adequate dose. The response was rapid and seen during the first week. I suspect the reason for this is the general older patient population of PHN who would clear the drug from their blood stream more slowly.

Lyrica will be released in a large number of tablet sizes to allow physicians to choose the best dose for their patients. The drug will apparently be a scheduled drug and at the time I wrote this in April 2005 I did not know why this was determined. I expect the drug will quickly gain wide acceptance due to its FDA approval and overall low toxicity.

Lyrica was initially given an approvable letter as an add on agent for epilepsy but not given final approval in this area. I do not know the reason for this. Its mechanism of action for seizures is different than other AEDs on the market with the possible exception of gabapentin.

The use of pregabalin in anxiety is beyond the scope of this web site but promises to be a hot topic. In September 2004, the FDA denies its approval in this area.

Hope this helps