Who would be a good canidate for an AUTO pap?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Wulfman

Re: Who would be a good canidate for an AUTO pap?

Post by Wulfman » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:02 pm

DoriC wrote:
Wulfman wrote:[ .....subsequently found that the pressure changes disturbed my sleep......
Den
I don't think I ever asked this question before, I've just observed that Mike does better on straight cpap and is more restless on auto. Of course when I ask him about it, he just says "something's not right". So what are the disturbances you feel?
I don't know......I just found myself waking up more frequently......and then glancing over at the LCD to see different (higher) pressures displayed. In my reports, they showed that I would have singular/individual apneas (which is normal for me) that the machine couldn't respond to, fast enough to keep them from happening. If I have a 10 - 12 second apnea, the machine can't respond fast enough from a lower pressure to stop it......and I don't necessarily have preceding events (snores or flow limitations) to preemptively bump the pressure. I've always had higher AHI numbers when using a range of pressures. Typically, I've used ranges of 10 - 15 and 12 - 15.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

YawnGirl

Post by YawnGirl » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:56 pm

Update on my quest for an Auto pap:

My sleep doc would only give me a copy of my original script instead of writing me a non-brand specific script. After explaining to his office staff about the gastrointestinal pain and bloating I was having, they said they would notate it for the doctor and I could discuss it at my next appointment, which is one day before my 30 day return runs out on the current DME equipment. Of course, I tried to explain that to the office staff but got the "deer in headlights" look for my trouble. Good grief!

I have submitted my prescription to both cpapauction.com and cpap.com in hopes of getting approved and purchase what I want online.

This is a pretty small town and through a little investigation, I found out it is "probable" that my sleep doc's wife is a partner in the DME he sent me to....Weird the things people unwittingly tell their bankers

- Eleanor Roosevelt

karessamom

Post by karessamom » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:04 pm

Most insurances will require you to "fail" cpap before they'll allow you to have an autoPAP, unless your dr has specifically written out the RX for an autoPAP. Fortunately the "failure' can be for about any reason under the sun that your dr. can note and deem as failure. Good luck at getting what you want.

YawnGirl

Post by YawnGirl » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:47 am

karessamom wrote:Most insurances will require you to "fail" cpap before they'll allow you to have an autoPAP, unless your dr has specifically written out the RX for an autoPAP. Fortunately the "failure' can be for about any reason under the sun that your dr. can note and deem as failure. Good luck at getting what you want.

I may try to purchase just out of pocket and not go through my insurance. My doctor has a tendency to not get back to me for a week and I'm not that patient a person.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:42 am

I bought an auto on my own after 5+ years on a straight cpap. My doctor was not willing to write a prescription for even a machine with exhalation relief!

I bought an M Series auto with A-Flex online with my 5+ year old cpap prescription almost 2 years ago, along with the software and card reader.

I paid for it myself but it was the best move for me! Having your prescription with cpap.com and cpapauciton.com means you can do that too, as far as I know.

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

snoregirl

Post by snoregirl » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:14 am

One more thing to add to the cost discussion. You say that you are comparing costs "including mask". You may have already bought the mask (and the humidifier too for that matter) as they are usually a one time purchase and the machine is the rent to buy. Check just the machine cost to compare out of pocket no insurance to your machine cost at the DME.

Patrick A

Post by Patrick A » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:16 am

In 2006 I bought a Remstar Pro2 with C-flex. A year later my doctor wrote me a scrip for a Bi-Pap Auto I bought my M-Series Bi-pap Auto with Bi-flex with my first sleep study and the new script.
Don't Bend or Squash, My Aluminum Hat,it keeps them from knowing what I am thinking!
I need more Coffee&Old Bushmills!
"Without Truckdrivers America Stops!"
I'm not always wrong,but I'm not always right!
"Semper Fi"