Need Equipment Advice

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Bear100

Need Equipment Advice

Post by Bear100 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:49 pm

I have been using the same CPAP machine now for 10+ years. Although my current machine functions, my doctor suggested a new machine, and wrote a prescription for what machine he likes, but is willing to go for any. My DME is pushing me to what he has, but I want to get what works. I am wiling to switch DME as they really offer little. Insurance is covering 50% of purchase (but only via a DME!!!).

Current pressure is 14 (no changes in more than 5 years), and I have a CPAP, I did try a BiPAP but frankly found the changes in pressure irritating. I do want to get more information regarding my sleep and my doctor agrees. He suggests models that provide information via a card or software via a usb to my PC so that I can monitor my sleep. Noise is not a problem, in fact it is good - like white noise to me. Also size is not an issue as I rarely travel.

I am confused with all the choices out there, can you help narrow it down?

Thanks Bear100

ScrappinMom

Re: Need Equipment Advice

Post by ScrappinMom » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:57 pm

Hi Bear100! I have been very pleased with my ResMed Autoset II. It of course provides the efficacy data, and you can run it in either auto or straight cpap. It's easy to operate, and the software is available.

Before buying from your DME, compare costs...your 50% copay from the DME may be MORE than outright purchase from cpap.com.

Happy shopping! cpap.com has a "compare" feature where you can compare different machines you are considering.

I'm sure others will chime in with their thoughts on other machines.

Lou Cypher

Post by Lou Cypher » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:04 pm

I was exactly where you are..

I had been using an old tank and had my sleep study 11 years ago......

Only difference is my doc didn't know anything and never even asked how I was sleeping.

I noticed I was starting to feel like the old days before cpap. so Luckily I found this site...

Lurked and read for a few months, signed up and asked questions, got great information.....

After that it was simple, I went to see my doc, told him what I did and what I wanted, He agreed and wrote the script as I told him...

Result:

Sept 30th a Resmed Autoset S8 II with H4i humidifier was delivered to my house. Of course my DME told me how to plug it in, and how to hook up the hoses and mask.. I asked about the card and she said "It is in the bag somewhere, but you won't need that"......

they had set the auto at 8.0 ... my sleep study 11 years ago said I needed 10 and remember I was getting symptoms again.

Anyway, I have averaged on the auto 11.2 for the last month and I have been slowly increasing the pressure and watching the numbers everyday........

I no longer have any symptoms, I feel great and am in control of my Apnea's.

This may or may not be the machine for you, but whatever one you decide to try make sure it has a card and use it yourself.

This place is goldmine of info, come here everyday, read, learn, ask questions......It worked for me.

birdshell

Post by birdshell » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:18 pm

I have the ResMed Vantage, the precursor to the AutoSet II. I really like it.

Others have their Respironics APAP machines that they dearly love; there are even some who have stocked up on the older "tank" models, because they so prefer those over the newer M series. (Are/were there APAPs in the tank series?)

There are also some really nice looking and (reportedly) quiet machines that are cheaper and lighter (and possibly will even bake bread :p ). The Puritan-Bennett, Fisher & Paykel, and NUMEROUS others are now joining the APAP arena. Your question isn't as easily answered now as it was even a year ago.

Here is the reference to the cpap.com APAP machines: Click here for cpap.com APAP machines

Best wishes.

Karen,
Who is glad she doesn't have to decide NOW
Be kinder than necessary; everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Click => Free Mammograms

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:23 pm

Are you going to want to use the software to see the reports? Or are you just going to be satisfied with the data off the LCD screen?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

jules

Post by jules » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:23 pm

start your search with this list

viewtopic.php?p=307168#p307168

Bear100

Post by Bear100 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:28 pm

Wow - thanks for the great advice and quick feedback.

But now I have more questions:

1) Regarding display of information, I believe that looking on a screen daily is impractical - I am not sure I would do it, but I would like to look at information weekly or bi-monthly to see how I am doing and adjust if needed. However not having that capability currently I am looking to your advice as to what works.

2) Yes the DME is sticker shock, I have been told for everything that my Dr suggested (CPAP with auto adjustment, humidifier, software, card reader) it will be over $1,500 but no firm numbers yet . And money is tight right now. If purchase via CPAP.com or other is cheaper I will go that way. What about 'used machines' is this practical or too risky? If so where do I go?

3) Since my numbers are stable over the last 5 years (and only changed by 1 in 10) what good is the 'auto' feature or is this just something that is not needed and can be left off for cost reasons?

4) Thanks for the links to the evaluations and lists, but I just don't where to start - it seems like going to a car dealer and no knowing what to ask. I just don't know what to look for, or which product is better.

Not sure that this matters I do use Xyrem at 3.75 twice nightly to ensure I get to REM 3 and 4 (without it I hardly have any, totally stuck in REM 1 and 2). If you want advice on Meds and Surgery I have plenty.

Thanks Bear100!!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:53 pm

Check cpap.com for their prices on auto machines and software. Also go to each software that is shown and see if one strikes your fancy more than the other. I liked the EncoreViewer software the best so I got the Respironics auto machine then the software.

Respironics bundle $765... Auto machine, humidifier, software and the card reader. Nothing else needed.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage-bundle ... undle.html

examples of the software here, just scroll through the images
https://www.cpap.com/viewImage.php?PNum ... Cover2.jpg

Get an auto unit. Cost is not that much different and the auto unit can be run in cpap mode if you wish. Essentially 2 machines in one.

ResMed auto machine with humdifier $639

The ResScan software is no longer available for purchase from US suppliers but it can be bought from an Australian supplier for around $100 then you also need the card reader which is around $70. I can't find images of what is in the software to show you examples. ResMed doesn't want patients having this software.

Personally I liked the EncoreViewer best because it also gave me Snores and Flow limitations in addition to the usual AHI, HI, AI, pressure and leak data. ResMed doesn't give Snores and Flow Limitations but it does offer length of time of each apnea event.

These are the 2 most commonly used machines. There are others and hopefully someone with one of those can offer information on those.

Whatever you do, brand new is going to be about half what you were told with DME.
You can also get a gently used and even new machine at cpapauction. Check the link at the top of the forum page for it. Then you have to get the software and card reader. So check around for those prices to take into consideration.

You could get a straight CPAP machine bundle like this one for $704. For $61 you can get the APAP.....

I have the Respironics M Series APAP with AFlex along with the software. Best money I have ever spent.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

drubin007

Post by drubin007 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:13 am

(may as well throw in my 2 cents here)

look at the Fisher and Paykel HC254 as well... its an auto, and based on my experiences with it over the past few months I am liking it.

It has a usb card built in, not as easy to get the software but with it you can make any changes you need, the reports look pretty fresh, and you can see the efficacy data on the display if you want. I started on the Resmed S8 but was moved up to an auto machine and I like this one much better.

Autopapdude

Post by Autopapdude » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:17 am

Definitely take a look at the Intellipap. It is extremely easy to use, very responsive as an Autopap, and can also be used in fixed pressure mode. It is reliable, and is full data capable. In addition, you can look up smartcodes on the internet to get most of the data that you'd need--so it may even do away with the need for software, and still give monitoring capability. I find it quiet, convenient, and extremely easy to breathe with, and love its algorithm.

What is the use of an autopap? Well, you don't sleep the same way every night. If you want to adjust to your fixed pressure as a minimum, and give yourself some "head room" for rogue events (occasional nasty apneas that come as a surprise, and are spikes from your normal pressure--I get them sometimes), the autopap is definitely the way to go.

2flamingos

Post by 2flamingos » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:53 am

I have a Respironics M-Series Auto with A-Flex and love it. Have been using it for a year this Thursday! and have not had one problem.

Good Luck!

Old enough to know better

Karma is a Wonderful Thing.

Rt410years

Post by Rt410years » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:08 pm

Don't worry. If it aint broken don't fix it..I've seen this happen alot. I used to work for a Dme american @#$%^ you know nationwide. Well anyways ,we would encourage the customer to get a new machine "just incase"..its a lie. Yours is good, its the ceos of these big companies that push the sales team to market these units like crazy..Stick to your old machine..Take it to any DME and have them check it with a pressure manometer and make sure you watch them do it , otherwise they will tell you its not working. The manometer simply verifies pressure.