I just got my machine!!!!!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
randik125

I just got my machine!!!!!

Post by randik125 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:53 pm

At 11:00 this morning, my machine arrived via respiratory therapist. It is a REMStar plus C-flex. I chose the nasal pillow mask. Since I had taken the day off for this event, I decided to give it a spin. I took a nap. It was certainly a lot less difficult than the sleep lab. I did have to reset the ramp up once because I was not yet asleep. I did fall asleep after that. My nap was about 2.5 hours. I woke up with some of the same feeling as I did doing the study...more like I had just run a race than taken a nap. I am not foggy as often happens to me after a long nap, nor achy.

Of course, this was not even a night of sleep, but I do have some questions. Is is normal to feel more like you just exercised after using the CPAP? I was a little bit put off by the fact that I got no choices as far as the machine is concerned. Any feedback about the machine? This is an apparent redesign of a previous model. Also, I asked about changing the settings. She was adamant that only she was able to do that. Right now it is set to begin with a pressure of 4 and then ramp up to 9 over 15 minutes. Board members have commented that they are able to make changes. How would I do this.

I am obviously very very new at this. All comments are welcome.
RandiK

DottyG

Re: I just got my machine!!!!!

Post by DottyG » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:54 pm

Congratulations on getting your new machine!!!

I'm only 2 days ahead of you, so we'll have to compare notes as we go along.
Certe, Toto, sentio nos in Kansate non iam adesse.

"Every time you are compliant in using your machine, you take that first step to better health"- DJ_Boxer

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:01 pm

randik125 wrote:At 11:00 this morning, my machine arrived via respiratory therapist. It is a REMStar plus C-flex. I chose the nasal pillow mask. Since I had taken the day off for this event, I decided to give it a spin. I took a nap. It was certainly a lot less difficult than the sleep lab. I did have to reset the ramp up once because I was not yet asleep. I did fall asleep after that. My nap was about 2.5 hours. I woke up with some of the same feeling as I did doing the study...more like I had just run a race than taken a nap. I am not foggy as often happens to me after a long nap, nor achy.

Of course, this was not even a night of sleep, but I do have some questions. Is is normal to feel more like you just exercised after using the CPAP? I was a little bit put off by the fact that I got no choices as far as the machine is concerned. Any feedback about the machine? This is an apparent redesign of a previous model. Also, I asked about changing the settings. She was adamant that only she was able to do that. Right now it is set to begin with a pressure of 4 and then ramp up to 9 over 15 minutes. Board members have commented that they are able to make changes. How would I do this.

I am obviously very very new at this. All comments are welcome.
They gave you a "near-the-bottom-of-the-barrel", non-data-capable machine. (so as to maximize their profits)
All it will tell you is how many hours it's been running.......nothing else.

If I were you, I'd insist on them swapping for the "Pro" model, which IS fully-data-capable. Otherwise, you won't have any idea of how your therapy is working........and how, why or what changes you would need/want to make.

And, she's a liar.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:12 pm

http://www.apneaboard.com/CPAP%20Adjustment.htm
How to get into clinician menu of various machines at above link.

You got no choice in machine? Big surprise. Did you ask? They gave you the basic compliance (hours of use only) machine. Seems like patients rarely get offered the fully data capable machines and have to ask for them and/or throw hissy fits to get one.

If you want any data available to you at all you must at least have the "Pro" model in the M Series Respironics line. With it you get some information on the LCD and the ability to use the EncoreViewer software should you decide to purchase it.

The ramp of 4 may be a little low only for comfort. I would feel like I was suffocating using 4. A pressure of 9 cm may not even require using the ramp depending on your comfort level.

The time to request a data capable machine is now if you want one. The only information this Plus machine will ever offer is how many hours you used it..

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:48 pm

When you say you were told it is a "redesign of an previous model", I wonder if you got an M Series Plus or a PR System 1 Plus.

Can you confirm which it is for me?

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

Georgio

Post by Georgio » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:51 pm

"The only information this Plus machine will ever offer is how many hours you used it.." So you won't know if your therapy is working correctly. Congratulations on your starting cpap and your great attitude. You're very fortunate to end up here where you can get advice from patient advocates, not $$$$ advocates like probably the one providing you the machine.

Georgio
M-Series W/Aflex, Swift LT, Encoreviewer

randik125

Post by randik125 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:52 pm

Thank you all for your input! I do get how the game works. I just do not know much about this equipment. I will call the Pulmonologist about getting an appropriate machine. I suspected what was happening when the Respiratory Therapist responded strangely to my questions. She was very guarded. I need to learn more about how this equipment works so that I have the correct language to ask for what I need.

The 4 was very comfortable for me during my drowsy period. And the 9 was actually a little uncomfortable as I was awakening. I am very small person. I am also a GERD patient, so the insufflation issue has been obvious. I seem to have been able to pass the air one way or the other pretty quickly. I am just tired of being tired. I am going to ask for a data capable machine ASAP!

Thanks again to all of you. You are great folks.
RandiK

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:12 pm

randik125 wrote:I need to learn more about how this equipment works so that I have the correct language to ask for what I need.
The link below doesn't go to "how it works", but does go to names of machines. Names that will let you know if it's a machine that records useful data (AHI and Leak info) or nothing more than recording the number of hours it's been used ("compliance.")

Being able to find, in an instant, the name of a machine that a DME wants to give you and see if it provides useful data or not, can prepare you to say, "Oh, good...thank you!" or...

"Thanks, but no....not that model. Do you have a similar model, perhaps the ___ (like the Elite II if the DME mentioned the Escape II) that will provide AHI and leak info so my doctor can check those things whenever a download is done?"

My list of machines that record "full data" (AHI and leak info) and those that don't -- updated through Sept. 2009:
viewtopic.php?p=307168#p307168

DME might not understand what "Full data" is.
viewtopic.php?p=344265#p344265
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

jweeks

Post by jweeks » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:06 pm

randik125 wrote:Of course, this was not even a night of sleep, but I do have some questions. Is is normal to feel more like you just exercised after using the CPAP?
Hi,

One unexpected side-effect of CPAP that I had is that I was waking up sore and my body felt a bit stiff. Turns out it wasn't the CPAP that did it. It was sleeping that did it. I hadn't slept well for years, so I was always moving around and was getting up every 60 to 90 minutes at night. As a result, I was staying very limber. Once I started sleeping, I would be motionless for hours at a time. My body would stiffen up and I'd wake up rested but someone sore. Adding a pillow top to my mattress and making it a bit more firm helped, as did getting more exercise during the day.

There is an adjustment period for new CPAP'ers. You body had attempted to adapt to not sleeping well. Plus the machine is causing you to breathe a little differently. It is only natural, so give it a little time and post back to update us.

-john-

soverytired2

Post by soverytired2 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:47 pm

jweeks wrote
One unexpected side-effect of CPAP that I had is that I was waking up sore and my body felt a bit stiff. Turns out it wasn't the CPAP that did it. It was sleeping that did it. I hadn't slept well for years, so I was always moving around and was getting up every 60 to 90 minutes at night. As a result, I was staying very limber. Once I started sleeping, I would be motionless for hours at a time. My body would stiffen up and I'd wake up rested but someone sore. Adding a pillow top to my mattress and making it a bit more firm helped, as did getting more exercise during the day.
John - This makes perfect sense and something that didnt occur to me! My first couple of weeks I felt sore all over. I was worried I was coming down with a cold or something. But it soon went away. I used to wake up several times per hour and never really slept. Just asked my husband and he says I sleep very still now, not at all like I did before when I was constantly waking up, turning, sitting up, etc. Don't know why that didnt occur to me and I'm glad to have that puzzle solved. thank you.

randik125 - In addition to being sore I did have some unusual sensations in my chest in the first few days, my thoat and lungs felt like I had been running a race. Now I think that was just getting used to breathing rather than not breathing My lungs werent used to the exercise.

Its going to be a whole new world for you...and great one. Starting cpap and keeping it up through all the trials and tribulations of gas, leaks, etc, along with the expense due to the 'lure of the mask' (I just can't resist trying a new mask ) has been one of the best things I've ever done for myself and my loved ones. I wish you all the best that good sleep has to offer!