DME doing periodic checks of machine

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
wrenn

DME doing periodic checks of machine

Post by wrenn » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:46 pm

I get a notice once a year to bring my machine in to have it checked. As far as I know my machine only gives compliance hours so as long as it blows air how could they tell if it is "working"? I am tired of lugging it by bus just to be told...."Yep you used it".

Or am I missing something?
Last edited by wrenn on Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GumbyCT

Re: DEM doing periodic checks of machine

Post by GumbyCT » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:49 pm

wrenn wrote:I get a notice once a year to bring my machine in to have it checked. As far as I know my machine only gives compliance hours so as long as it blows air how could they tell if it is "working"? I am tired of lugging it by bus just to be told...."Yep you used it".

My DME comes to my house. Tell em you don't have a ride.

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

wrenn

Post by wrenn » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:56 pm

Well truthfully it isn't that difficult (I have inherited a whine gene from my mother), but it does seem like a bit of a waste if the machine does not show anything other than hours of use. For the last 3 years I just assumed they were checking something more but it occurred to me after reading these threads that it is probably not necessary.

Thanks for that tip though. appreciate it.

biggziff

Post by biggziff » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:27 pm

Perhaps they are checking the calibration to see if the pressure settings are accurate.

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:49 pm

biggziff wrote:Perhaps they are checking the calibration to see if the pressure settings are accurate.
But that would imply that they care.

(I know I'm cynical as hell, but it would be nice if you're right about that.)
Veni, vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

PR S1 ASV 950, DreamWear mask, F&P 150 humidifier, O2 @ 2L.

wrenn

Post by wrenn » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:53 pm

Many posts later I see I typed DEM...I guess that is because I still don't know what the letters stand for....we don't have that in Canada.

jdm2857

Post by jdm2857 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:13 pm

DME: Durable Medical Equipment provider.

You can go back and edit your first post if you want.
jeff

wrenn

Re: DME doing periodic checks of machine

Post by wrenn » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:02 pm

Thanks, I did not know that.

Bert_Mathews

Post by Bert_Mathews » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:26 am

GumbyCT wrote:
wrenn wrote:I get a notice once a year to bring my machine in to have it checked. As far as I know my machine only gives compliance hours so as long as it blows air how could they tell if it is "working"? I am tired of lugging it by bus just to be told...."Yep you used it".

My DME comes to my house. Tell em you don't have a ride.
ImageCouple things MISSED........ They don't care about your compliance "It's just something else they can CODE and send a bill to YOUR Insurance Company"Image If they don't have to make a visit or DO ANYTHING except Bill guess who its good for?

We have a couple DME here in Michigan that sent in a bill over $100 --- Claiming they disassemble and clean units then recalibrate! When the place was checked by another patient they didn't even employ a repairmen and suggested sending the unit to the manufacture......
Image DO WE THINK they were lining there POCKETS??

BERT Image

Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
http://www.sharpstones.com

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:53 am

I never claimed he did anything besides to check compliance info from the machine. In fact, he only checked the machine pressure when I asked him to. Not what I would call a calibration by any means, just used an uncalibrated pressure gage. But this does save me gas and time this way.

From the way they have treated me, I am not sure I want to let him into my house again, for anything.

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

wrenn

Post by wrenn » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:03 pm

I can see the pressure number on my machine and it is still the same and everything feels like it is working the same so I think I will skip the 'check'. Thanks for the input.

Hey Mikey!

Post by Hey Mikey! » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:39 pm

The only reason I can see to go back to your DME for anything is replacement supplies. A check up seems like revenue ploy unless they upgrade your machine to one that actually gets some good download information (highy unlikely unless you have had your machine for a few years as that is the only way they might be able to bill you for a new machine), or like I said, replacement supplies.

biggziff

Post by biggziff » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:49 pm

wrenn wrote:I can see the pressure number on my machine and it is still the same and everything feels like it is working the same so I think I will skip the 'check'. Thanks for the input.
My machine was showing a range of 7-11, but when it came on it was blowing 13 continuously. The display can be wrong. I really didn't feel much difference as I've been using CPAP long enough. These machines do go out of calibration and that can cause issues.

jweeks

Post by jweeks » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:19 pm

Hey Mikey! wrote:The only reason I can see to go back to your DME for anything is replacement supplies. A check up seems like revenue ploy unless they upgrade your machine to one that actually gets some good download information (highy unlikely unless you have had your machine for a few years as that is the only way they might be able to bill you for a new machine), or like I said, replacement supplies.
Hi,

I received a card from my DME asking me to bring the machine in for a check. I was visiting for another reason, so I asked about it. The primary thing that they do, said the CPAP tech, is check that the machine is putting out the proper pressure. She said that machines can and do get out of calibration as they get older. If you want to avoid the DME, you could probably purchase your own pressure meter and do this test yourself.

-john-

Pineapple

Post by Pineapple » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:53 am

wrenn,

My insurance company requires the DME to provide them with a compliance report to keep covering my supplies. It's to far away for me to lug my machine in, so they send me a new card to swap out with the old one. If all they are checking is compliance, there really is no reason this can't be handled by mail. If they are actually doing a maintennance check, it's probably to your benefit - but with a 5 year life span on the machine, I would hardly think your machine qualifies as "older" (I can remember when you started)

I'd ask what they are really doing.