First night on cpap - Have question

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Spirit

First night on cpap - Have question

Post by Spirit » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:46 pm

I used my cpap last night for the first time, Resmed auto, swift LT nasal mask, I only woke up one time, from my right nostril being clogged !!!!! Super, super dry mouth, must have been mouth breathing. I couldn't swallow. I had humidifier set on 2,. Called Resmed this morning, told me to set on 4,.
I did not wake up feeling refreshed, but did not feel like a zombie, head is not hurting, can think more clearly, slightly more alert, and not walking around spaced out, etc..... So the treatment is working.

Now my question is, when I went to sleep my nostrils were clear, but during the night right side plugged up, when I woke up, turned off machine, took off mask, both nostrils clear again.
Did anyone have nostril swelling during treatment, when first starting ?? Anything used to remedy the problem.
Thanks

Pugsy

Re: First night on cpap - Have question

Post by Pugsy » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:04 pm

Was the nostril that was congested the side that was "down"? This is common even for non CPAP users. Gravity causes "fluid" to pool in the mucosa of the nostril that is down which causes that mucosa to swell, hence congestion. They or it, will clear up when we get up and move about causing the "fluid" to dissipate. It really isn't fluid but just a general accumulation of a little excess blood and body fluids. Not something that can normally be expelled by blowing the nose. I get this myself occasionally. I forget the fancy medical terminology for it.

Dry mouth, yep, mouth breathing. Increasing humidity will not help that. You must find some way to keep mouth closed. The mouth may have come open because of the congestion or you may be mouth breathing significantly.

Increasing the humidity may help the nasal congestion. I have found that I actually have more congestion the drier my air is. So I have to use higher humidity settings to stay comfortable. Different people have different needs.
Some people actually have the higher humidity settings cause more congestion and these people have to lower the humidifier settings. You will just need to experiment a bit to see where you fall.

Dry mouth, mouth breathing will indicate less than optimal therapy because you are losing pressure through the mouth. If the nasal congestion issue gets resolved and the dry mouth persists then you have to try to find some way to keep the mouth shut. Some use tape, some use polygrip if they really are wanting to stick with the nasal mask for whatever reason. Others have to go to a full face mask to avoid losing therapy.

So while you may feel somewhat better this first night, once you get the dry mouth issue/mouth leaking problem resolved, you will likely see even more improvement. Don't be disheartened and realize that it does take some time and work to get things sorted out. While we all hoped we would be the "over night miracle", most users have a bit of work to be done to sort through before getting a handle on effective therapy.

When you have time you might update your user account profile to indicate your equipment in text format. Makes it very easy for helpers to see what you are using and saves time in re-reading posts.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

jimlux

Post by jimlux » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:44 pm

Ah, I'm only one night ahead of you! Both nights. so far, I've managed to keep the mask on all night but have gotten headaches both nights. Last night (the second night), my nose kept clogging up even though I cranked the humidity up quite a bit. Also, last night, my mouth breathing woke even me up! Mouth was dry as a bone. I've got a Resmed Escape, but I've already asked my Dr. to re-write the prescription specifically for at least an Elite II. I want to be able to access data from the get-go, but the DME wouldn't budget beyond the bare minimum of what was prescribed. It sounds like a chin strap or full face mask are in my near future. (I may eat my words later, but I'm horrified to hear of people taping their mouths shut to prevent mouth breathing). Good luck!

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:53 pm

Hi,
Thanks for all your help. Yes, I alway's sleep on my right side, and sure nough, nasal was congested. The hospital provided me a chin strap, but it keeps popping off my head, no matter how tight, I try to get it. Maybe I have a large head, Lol !!!!! The mask is super comfortable, and would like to stick with the nasal pilows, I did not have to adjust mask headset at all, after falling asleep.

I woke up, cause my mouth was so dried out, I couldn't swallow.

I will try a higher humidity setting. Prior to cpap, I used a Vaporizer beside my bed to breathe.

Do you know what type of tape is being used on the mouth, how to apply ?? I'll try anything before a full mask.

Will register, set up user account shortly, now I've recieved cpap.

Thanks.

Spirit

Post by Spirit » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:08 pm

jimlux wrote:Ah, I'm only one night ahead of you! Both nights. so far, I've managed to keep the mask on all night but have gotten headaches both nights. Last night (the second night), my nose kept clogging up even though I cranked the humidity up quite a bit. Also, last night, my mouth breathing woke even me up! Mouth was dry as a bone. I've got a Resmed Escape, but I've already asked my Dr. to re-write the prescription specifically for at least an Elite II. I want to be able to access data from the get-go, but the DME wouldn't budget beyond the bare minimum of what was prescribed. It sounds like a chin strap or full face mask are in my near future. (I may eat my words later, but I'm horrified to hear of people taping their mouths shut to prevent mouth breathing). Good luck!
Hi Jimlux,
Sorry to read, you've experienced headaches, hopefully they resolve for you soon. That is one symptom, I can honestly say, I did not experience upon waking, as I have many months prior to cpap. Yup, my mouth was super dry, felt like I ate a bowl of cottonballs, Lol !!!!!

I was issued a ResMed S8 autoset II,.

I tried chin strap, but it kept popping off. I hardly have any hair, almost bald, maybe that's the reason. I'll probably try to tape the strap to my head tonight, and see how that works.

But I am going to try all I can before, attempting the full face, if all fails, then will try the mouth mask, one step at a time, we will get there.

Thanks for reply & good luck !!

sharon1965

Post by sharon1965 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:01 pm

some people--myself for one--find that using the humidifier actually causes the nose to get stuffy; i use my HH as a passover only; but i also use a nasal rinse (neilmed) to keep the passages moist and clear

also, the way my ENT explained it, the two nostrils sort of cycle, sometimes both are open, then only one, then the other...so it can be perfectly normal for one nostril to be plugged up some of the time

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:16 pm

sharon1965 wrote:some people--myself for one--find that using the humidifier actually causes the nose to get stuffy; i use my HH as a passover only; but i also use a nasal rinse (neilmed) to keep the passages moist and clear

also, the way my ENT explained it, the two nostrils sort of cycle, sometimes both are open, then only one, then the other...so it can be perfectly normal for one nostril to be plugged up some of the time
Hi Sharon,
Thanks for info. I will experiment with humidifier, such as not use at all, then change each level. I've alway's had severe nostril swelling (Allergies), the night of my sleep study, nostrils didn't swell at all, reason doctor prescribed Swift LT, even after I talked to him about my allergy congestion, he advised me to use nose spray's, and continue visiting allergist for relief. I love the Swift LT, and don't have any plans for a full face.

But I've been using NeilMed rinse for 2 years !! Fantastic product !

Guess, as long as both nostrils are not plugged up, which happens occassionally, I can try to adjust to the cpap.

Thanks & Good luck !!

BonnieG

Post by BonnieG » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:48 pm

[color=#8040FF]Spirit, I also have a stuffy nose, just one at a time. I cranked up the humidity & had to end up going to the allergist. She perscribed Nasonex, just before bed. It has been a big help. I still set the humidity on 2 & I have a humidity bottle on my o2 mixer. I still sometimes wake with a dry mouth, even with a FF mask. It takes time & a little tweaking. Good luck on your venture & welcome to our forum. [/color]irit wrote:I used my cpap last night for the first time, Resmed auto, swift LT nasal mask, I only woke up one time, from my right nostril being clogged !!!!! Super, super dry mouth, must have been mouth breathing. I couldn't swallow. I had humidifier set on 2,. Called Resmed this morning, told me to set on 4,.
I did not wake up feeling refreshed, but did not feel like a zombie, head is not hurting, can think more clearly, slightly more alert, and not walking around spaced out, etc..... So the treatment is working.

Now my question is, when I went to sleep my nostrils were clear, but during the night right side plugged up, when I woke up, turned off machine, took off mask, both nostrils clear again.
Did anyone have nostril swelling during treatment, when first starting ?? Anything used to remedy the problem.
Thanks

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:27 pm

jimlux wrote:It sounds like a chin strap or full face mask are in my near future. (I may eat my words later, but I'm horrified to hear of people taping their mouths shut to prevent mouth breathing)

You know I thought the very same thing before I got my machine and mask. I did it and the polygrip too. It wasn't all that bad. I even had a momentary power outage and I woke right up to live and tell about it. I can't wear anything that puts pressure on my nose so I had to make the nasal pillows work. You gotta do what you gotta do to make it work. Each person is an individual.

I wasn't a huge mouth breather though and after about 3 weeks I started "forgetting" to tape and I do just fine now without it. Guess I broke that habit. No major leaks from mouth now.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.