opinion wanted-full face: Mirage Quattro or Ultra Mirage?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
lebowski8

opinion wanted-full face: Mirage Quattro or Ultra Mirage?

Post by lebowski8 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:43 pm

Both of these masks: Mirage Quattro + Ultra Mirage seem to be popular choices. I did the online fitting for each. I plan on making my purchase from cpap.com in the next 48 hours to have a back up mask for when i get nasal congestion*

Anyone have experience with both masks who can help me decide between the two?

I appreciate your insights!

*(congestion like for the last week or so, suddenly doing a ton of mouth breathing at night, my mouth just won't stay shut -- taping mouth with painters tape has helped a little, but i seem to be waking up lots with chipmunk-cheek mouth blow outs and even drool came down through the tape one night!)
Hoser since April 2009.
Feb 2009: AHI 45.8 | BP 142/97 | SpO2: 78.9%
2016: AHI 0.9 | BP 122/81 | SpO2: 96.5%

Stranger: How things been goin'?
The Dude: Ahh, you know. Ups and downs, strikes and gutters.

yorkiemum01

Re: opinion wanted-full face: Mirage Quattro or Ultra Mirage?

Post by yorkiemum01 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:49 pm

No need to mince words.........Quattro! Use my MMFF mask as backup only. For me, the biggest comfort is the
nasal bridge adjustment for comfort, and it has a great seal.

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:00 pm

lebowski8 wrote:Both of these masks: Mirage Quattro + Ultra Mirage seem to be popular choices. I did the online fitting for each. I plan on making my purchase from cpap.com in the next 48 hours to have a back up mask for when i get nasal congestion*

Anyone have experience with both masks who can help me decide between the two?

*(congestion like for the last week or so, suddenly doing a ton of mouth breathing at night, my mouth just won't stay shut -- taping mouth with painters tape has helped a little, but i seem to be waking up lots with chipmunk-cheek mouth blow outs and even drool came down through the tape one night!)
I have both and my preference is the UMFF. In my opinion it's a better quality mask. While the Quattro is comfortable and seals well, I've read that the seals aren't lasting as long (I actually haven't got that much time on that mask to find out), but I've been using my same UMFF since I started therapy in May of 2005 (it seems to get more comfortable with age) and the only thing I've had to replace was the headgear.......and that was just a few months ago. With a few exceptions, the vast majority of Quattro wearers have had to do the "Teflon tape fix" to the elbow in the front of their masks (wrap Teflon plumbers tape around both ends) because they leak there. The exhaust vent on the Quattro is quieter, but when I've worn mine, I've questioned whether there was enough exhaust......I felt like it was retaining too much CO2 and I didn't feel as refreshed in the morning.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

rogier40

Post by rogier40 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:35 pm

I've tried both masks, and for me UMFF fits better to my face. The Quattro seemed to need constant adjustment. The cushion designs are definitely different between the two, so what works for me might not for you.

Are you able to try each at your DME?

Also, I have had good results with Resprironics' Comfort Full 2. Why limit yourself to ResMed masks?

Catnap

Post by Catnap » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:52 pm

I use both, and I have a slight preference for the Ultra Mirage. The Quattro, for me, is somewhat more prone to leaks, and it does feel as if the seal and cushion are wearing out more quickly than on the UM. I prefer the venting on the Quattro, and the fit around my mouth is somewhat more comfortable, but it seems to move around more (it works its way up toward my eyes and down toward my chin as I sleep). All in all, the Ultra Mirage seems to fit more securely. It's a pretty close race, though.

luke

Post by luke » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:40 am

I have both but prefer the Quattro....unlike others I think the Quattro is the better quality unit.
I use a medium size and the Quattro is SLIGHTLY wider than the UMFF. This for me at least makes it
more stable on my face because being wider it sits around my cheek bones instead of riding on top of
them if that makes sense. I have been using the Q for about 4 or 5 months now and the cushion is doing well.

Bill

carbonman

Post by carbonman » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:24 am

lebowski8 wrote: Anyone have experience with both masks who can help me decide between the two?

viewtopic/t43265/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34880&p
"If your therapy is improving your health but you're not doing anything
to see or feel those changes, you'll never know what you're capable of."
I said that.

Rustyolddude

Post by Rustyolddude » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:06 am

The brief period in which they test fitted masks during my sleep study, I found the small Mirage Quattro to be comfortable. The adjustment feature allowed me to take pressure off the bridge of my nose and better distibute it on my face. I'm still in the diagnosis phase so don't take my word for long term comfort.

lebowski8

Post by lebowski8 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:52 pm

thanks to everyone who replied.... i'll update in a couple of weeks when i've got some data.
Hoser since April 2009.
Feb 2009: AHI 45.8 | BP 142/97 | SpO2: 78.9%
2016: AHI 0.9 | BP 122/81 | SpO2: 96.5%

Stranger: How things been goin'?
The Dude: Ahh, you know. Ups and downs, strikes and gutters.

Tom Holsinger

Post by Tom Holsinger » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:24 pm

Wulfman, that was my impression of the Quattro too. Your experience indicates this is inherent in its design, and that I should return the Quattro and try the Ultra.

viewtopic/t43193/posting.php?mode=quote&f=1&p=382392
Tom Holsinger wrote:The Flexifit HC431 does not seal as well as the Mirage Quattro. This is a problem because cold water dribbles out of the Flexifit down my neck after 2-3 hours, and wakes me right up. I am using the recommended setting of 2 on the humidifier. Less gets my mouth dry in an hour – much faster than if I do nothing at all. The Mirage Quattro seals perfectly, but exhalation is a major issue. The mask interior fills with warm moist exhale air. It seems like the exhale valve is not working properly. I can’t fall asleep with the Mirage on. Some fear and/or anxiety is involved.

This was not a problem with the oxygen-style full face mask I had used before, which had inflatable cushions to provide a complete seal. Its exhale valve worked well, as does that of the Flexifit HC431.

But there seem to be problems with the Mirage’s exhale valve. I request comments as to whether this is really a design/personal preference issue, or whether there might be some defect in my particular mask.
Wulfman wrote:The exhaust vent on the Quattro is quieter, but when I've worn mine, I've questioned whether there was enough exhaust......I felt like it was retaining too much CO2 and I didn't feel as refreshed in the morning.

frapilu

Post by frapilu » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:19 am

I've used both and I prefer the Quattro. I find the nose bridge better and I find it has less leaks. I use the small shallow size.

France