What is the average life of a cpap mask?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sleepyinstlouis

What is the average life of a cpap mask?

Post by sleepyinstlouis » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:19 am

Last night while getting ready for bed, I put on my mask and the one side where the ball joint goes into seemed loose. Upon further inspection, I discovered it was cracked and loose. I've had this mask for a just about a month now. I wipe the silicone every morning and give it a good soak every few days in Ivory liquid soap.

I would understand this happening if I were rough in taking it off or handling it in an improper manner. Also, the side that is cracked is not the side that I use to "pop" (using the term lightly, as I am very very gentle when I do this)the mask off in the morning.

I called this morning and I will probably not see the replacement until Monday. So that's about 4-5 days with no mask. I could probably superglue it since it's not broken broken.

For the record, I have a Respironics ComfortGel Nasal Mask, size Petite (see my sig).

drubin007

Re: What is the average life of a cpap mask?

Post by drubin007 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:24 am

don't know... I am still under 2 months on nasal pillows... well cpap for that matter.

from reading in here, I wash my equipment 9soak it) in baby shampoo and water, and then some white vinegar and water mix...

othe people say they have used the same equipment for months and months, sometimes years...

sounds like maybe you got a lemon?

RipVW

Post by RipVW » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:22 am

Should last at least 6 mo to a year, I think. Some use their for even longer.
Check out my chinstrap--> http://cpapchinstraps.com

Jason S.

Post by Jason S. » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:26 pm

If insurance offers replacement coverage after 6 months, my guess is the usable life is something like 4 months, and I was told 3 months by the DME. But who trusts them? Of course, insurance replacement coverage may vary. I got a new mask after 3 months, although admittedly there was nothing in the mask that I could detect as "worn", although I would imagine the apron skirt or gel piece (if you have one) would deform after awhile and lose its effectiveness. I only have experience with FFM.

Additional Comments: Max pressure set at 15cm

Severeena

Post by Severeena » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:50 pm

Some masks last only three months.
the life expectentcy for mask usually lies sometimes with the insurance companies.

Not all Masks work for everyone. Each Person is Different.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:06 pm

Medicare will replace a mask every 3 months. My current Resperonics Comfort Gel is now 5 months old without problems with a seal. I clean it about every 5 days.

sleepyinstlouis

Post by sleepyinstlouis » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:40 pm

My concern stems from the product standpoint. The mask itself has a 90 day warranty (according to the documentation I found this morning and confirmed by the rep from Respironics I spoke to as well), but she did express concern over breakage in less than 30 days of use. If I was popping out the ball joint roughly or being unnecessarily rough with it (as in "opps! it broke, can't use the machine tonight" type situation) it would be another story altogether. She has asked that I send the frame into them for inspection so that they can evaluate and try to better the product.

Since I'm going to be on cpap for most likely the rest of my life, I want to be sure that what I'm getting is going to be a good product. I really do like the mask, and I'm pleased with it. I plan on sticking with it for as long as Respironics continues to make it.

cpapquuen

Post by cpapquuen » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:33 pm

You're best bet is to get fit for a non-ball and socket mask. These masks break in the exact place that you described all the time. It happens more often in those with large heads.

WNJ

Post by WNJ » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:43 pm

3.5 years, so far.

I've replaced the cushion a couple of times. I have a spare mask, just in case, but I've not had to use it.

I agree that it sounds like the ball and socket arrangement should be avoided.

Wayne

jrfoster

Post by jrfoster » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:02 pm

The mask itself can last for years if you don't break some part of it. The cushion which is the critical portion should be replaced about every 90 days or so for a good seal. Some can go longer if you clean them daily. (Which I do with Citrus II cleaner) I have a box of about 6 new cushions for my mirage activa nasal mask which I will get to when my current cushion bites the dust! I have Tricare so I get 2 new cushions every 90 days and a complete new mask every 6 months with headgear once a year. In reserve I have 3 complete masks with headgear! Nothing like being prepared!

Jeff

m1k2s3

Post by m1k2s3 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:10 pm

In answer to your question, I believe the mask manufacturers would suggest every 6 months however, I think with a little care, you can extend the life of your mask to 9 months or even a year.

You and I have the same mask and I had the exact same problem with mine. Unfortunately, mine broke right off during the night! I was up at 2 a.m. trying duct tape, elastic bands, you name it, just to be able to wear it. (Of course I looked absolutely ridiculous but I did not want to try and sleep without my mask)

I contacted the local distributor who were able to replace the part but not under warranty as I had the mask for 6 months when it happened. It cost me about $25, cheaper than replacing it.

My first mask was a comfort gel mask and loved it so when I went to replace it, I naturally looked at the same kind. I think the manufacturer needs to revamp this one. It's a great mask for sleeping in but I must admit, I treat it like it's fragile glass, one wrong move and it could crack! I'd rather not replace it right now but I might have to. I must say, I'm a little disappointed with the mask and may have to re-think purchasing a comfort gel mask again.

timbalionguy

Post by timbalionguy » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:27 pm

I started out with a Mirage Quattro FFM. It fits and I liked it, except for a severe penchant to leak after it was on for about four hours (face oil!). I studied the mask carefully, noting what was most likely to break on it. I ordered a supply of these parts, as well as a new seal. I also ordered a spare forehead cushion, as I intended (and still intend) to modify it for a better fit. Additionally, I ordered a hybrid FFM to try. I ended up liking the hybrid a lot because it was comfortable (but very slightly less than the Quattro), and it does not easily leak. The hybrid also has a lot fewer parts to break, and is easier to clean.

The seal on the hybrid has held up so far, but I have had a couple 'fussy' nights as of late. If the trend continues, I will get a new seal. Will probably purchase a complete mask (or parts) in the fall just to have a spare. In the meantime, the Quattro is the spare.

I intend to see how long the hybrid mask will last, which I hope is a long time. It has a couple of structural weaknesses though, that could cause early mask frame failure. Luckily, it is made of polycarbonate, which is a really tough plastic. The seal seems to be very well engineered; so are the nasal pillows. The nasal pillows simply do not leak.

Bottom line: I believe in the broadcast engineer's solution to problems-- have two of everything!

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:49 pm

timbalionguy wrote:Bottom line: I believe in the broadcast engineer's solution to problems-- have two of everything!

My OptiLife: 6 mos on the first (the Velcro grips wear out too soon), 9 mos on the next, third one one's lasted since Feb as I don't open/close the Velcro as often. Thinking I might try fabric glue on my old headgear for backup as I never adjust fit (mark guidelines with a Sharpie on new mask when fit is perfect).

I agree with TimbaLion, the nasal pillows never leak...IF you're using the right size! I started out with large (I needed all the airflow) & tolerated fiddleing with fit, now using medium without leaks.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

TheDreamer

Post by TheDreamer » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:13 pm

I saw on twitter today, that Respironics has finally fixed the headgear clips for the ComfortGel mask, so they are now guaranteed not to break. Think I'll have to plan on getting a set at some point for my ComfortGel mask....

The Dreamer.

You may be a dreamer, but I'm The Dreamer, the definite article you might say!

73 de W0LKC

grandmma

Post by grandmma » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:01 am

Both my son & I have been using our Mirage Activa masks for nearly 2 years now.

His is still fantastic, but mine probably could do with new cushions. I've had to tighten it a lot to minimise the leaks. But my head is apparently very narrow, and no masks seal well in any case. I still need to readjust the Activa regularly, requirements change from night to night, and I'm frequently struggling with nighttime leaks as a consequence! But no other masks seems to work as well for me. I reckon if I want to keep tightening, it'll go for a few years more.

I do wipe it down every night, and disassemble monthly or so. Probably theoretically on the disassemble!

As for both of us our private health cover does not allow for CPAP, we probably don't look at masks as such a short term option! And even if it did, the rebate is extremely small and very sparse - something like $500 every 2 or 5 years. Cannot remember which, but woefully inadequate in any case.
"You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me!"