OSA, CPAP, insurability, and life expectancy

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
MoneyGal

OSA, CPAP, insurability, and life expectancy

Post by MoneyGal » Sun May 10, 2009 4:59 am

Here's my question: If you have severe OSA, but it is treated effectively (with xPAP or, for the sake of argument, any other way), do you still have a shortened life expectancy / heightened risk of death?

Does anyone know? What do actuaries think? Is their thinking only influenced by compliance?(i.e., 30% of people with severe OSA are non-compliant with their therapies and/or therapies do not work for them, so we assume a 30% greater risk of death for the population with severe OSA). Or what?

woozle

Re: OSA, CPAP, insurability, and life expectancy

Post by woozle » Sun May 10, 2009 5:35 pm

I can only hope that it means we would have an increase in life expectancy. I was told that if I did NOT use cpap I was likely to have a stroke or heart attack within 5 years and I am 39 and have OSA severely. I know that when I was diagnosed I was close to being admitted to a hospital - and now I am playing sports and life is much much different physicall and socially. So I would have to say that my life expectancy has increased. I have researched and have yet to identify a study on this type of thing as of yet but hope they would be coming out soon.

Ganesha

Post by Ganesha » Sun May 10, 2009 8:10 pm

Here is my two cents...

If your body is getting the oxygen it needs your life expectancy should be normal. Whether the O2 comes in via a healhy airway or through CPAP machine doesn't matter.

Every person is an individual. Actuarial tables predict for the masses, not for you as an individual. It is all statistics.

That reminds me of a joke...
Two researchers and a statistician went hunting. A deer jumped out of the bushes. The first researcher takes a shot and misses by five feet in front of the deer. The second researcher shoots and misses by five feet behind the deer. Just then the statistician yells, 'We got him!".

Hindu god of intellect and wisdom. Remover of Obstacles.
I am not a Hindu or a god, just Mark from New Jersey. But the CPAP mask makes me look like Ganesha.
________________________________________________________________________________________

alnhwrd

Post by alnhwrd » Mon May 11, 2009 10:55 am

In my reasoned opinion, the effective treatment of OSA is the equivalent of quitting smoking and exercising every day. You still have the damage that has been done to live with, but you have stopped doing it every day. And with CPAP, your body has the chance to heal itself every night you use it. I don't know how much of a difference this makes to your isurance company.

Roosterdenny

Post by Roosterdenny » Tue May 12, 2009 11:24 am

I have severe OSA. I have been denied term life insurance this past week. I am 56 and in good health otherwise. I don't know what to do to get term life insurance I can afford. I have been compliant with my CPAP since I started almost 3 years ago. Has anyone encountered this problem before? Does anyone have any ideas or answers to getting affordable term life insurance? Thanks

Georgio

Post by Georgio » Tue May 12, 2009 11:38 am

I have term life insurance through my credit union, check with one. They ask very few questions. I think everyone is eligible. In my opinion, we should all be thinking about abandoning the larger crooked banks and going to depositor owned credit unions anyway, before we are taken for another expensive ride.

Georgio
M-Series W/Aflex, Swift LT, Encoreviewer

roster

Post by roster » Tue May 12, 2009 12:04 pm

MoneyGal wrote:Here's my question: If you have severe OSA, but it is treated effectively (with xPAP or, for the sake of argument, any other way), do you still have a shortened life expectancy / heightened risk of death?

Let's compare us to the population of people (population X) who do not have sleep-disordered breathing.

First, many of us went for decades before we were diagnosed and treated. A lot of damage was done in those years which you will not find in population X. This damage, no doubt, contributes to a shorter life expectancy for our population.

Second, who do you think gets more nights of sufficient, restful sleep? Those who are wearing a mask pumping air into them, or population X who is sleeping in the most comfortable position they can find and not wearing a mask pumping air into them? Lack of sufficient, restful sleep contributes to a shorter life expectancy.

I carry a large term life insurance policy that I had planned to cancel at the age of 60. After I found out what I had been suffering with for years, I told my wife to keep paying the premiums because the policy is likely to pay off nicely for her in the near future.

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

BeanMeScot

Post by BeanMeScot » Tue May 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Damage has been done during the years when you had OSA and it wasn't treated. Does it correct? I don't know. Smoking was mentioned. Doctor's say after so many years of not smoking, your lungs get back to a point that they can no longer tell you ever smoked. Perhaps OSA is the same.

MoneyGal

Post by MoneyGal » Tue May 12, 2009 6:13 pm

BMS - that's what I wonder, too. I also wonder whether someone who is perfectly compliant (me, to date) gets lumped in with the larger non-compliant OSA population. Hmmm.