OT.. Swine Flu, are you taking any precautions?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
tgzlavistane

OT.. Swine Flu, are you taking any precautions?

Post by tgzlavistane » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:42 pm

WASHINGTON -- The United States has activated an emergency plan to combat swine flu as the Obama administration announced measures Sunday to contain the sometimes deadly virus.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has identified the strain of swine flu and is prepared to distribute a quarter of the U.S. stockpile of 50 million doses of anti-viral medications in places around the country where swine flu has been located or may be expected to spread, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said in a briefing at the White House.

Travel advisories have not been issued by the State Department, Napolitano said, nor is the United States going to screen passengers on flights arriving from Mexico. She said funds have been freed up in case a larger response is needed.

Hand-washing, mask-wearing and other measures will help prevent the spread, Napolitano said explaining how the public can help slow potential contaminations.

"If you are sick, stay home," Napolitano said. "Take all of those reasonable measures that will help us mitigate and contain" the illness.

Goofproof

Re: OT.. Swine Flu, are you taking any precautions?

Post by Goofproof » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:03 pm

I eat them as fast as I can, My speciality is Bacon and Hams. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

tgzlavistane

Post by tgzlavistane » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:12 pm

I have to air travel for work in a couple of weeks . I have a 2 hour lay over in Dallas/ Fort Worth. I'm kind of anxious to see how many Travelers are wearing medical mask. Maybe I will wear my CPAP in the Terminal. My CPAP has a foam and fine filter system on it. Will this keep me safe from the Flu?

dels

Post by dels » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:41 pm

Not really right now, but because I get sick alot, I always wash my hands alot and so if it was where I live I would probably try and stay home a little more than usual.

Paul56

Post by Paul56 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:54 pm

I just got back from a coupla weeks in San Antonio.

While there I caught something. At first I thought it was allergies so I doubled up on my allergy meds. That seemed to calm things down, but then about 3 days before I left SA I started coughing, sneezing, nose blowing, etc.

Was still in the throws of something when I came back to Canada... and then I hear about this swine flu in Mexico and start wondering. Fortunately, I never did develop a fever.

I work from home for I'm fortunate that I'm not exposed to a lot of stuff, except my own germs, during the day. I'll certainly be washing my hands plenty when returning from my forays to the outside world and keeping an eye on developments re this situation.

Lets all keep in mind that the media reporting this like to put an additional spin on it (and other news) that I call the OMG factor (Oh My God) that sensationalizes the news.

BlissPirate

Post by BlissPirate » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:29 pm

I was in KC last week - now they have 2 confirmed cases. I'm not worried about that trip.

If it gets more prevalent, I will probably buy some face masks to wear when I'm in airports or hospitals - and purchase some hand sanitizer to keep in my briefcase and use from time to time during the day.

My biggest fear comes from having to eat food prepared by others in unseen kitchen's. The new flu is a smaller concern then some of the other things that get transmitted via contaminated food.

Captain_Midnight

Post by Captain_Midnight » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:13 pm

Mostly no. I'm pretty good at sleep getting, vitamin taking, exercise doing, and hand washing.

My biggest worry will be someone coughing on me. I'll keep my distance from those in my personal potential carrier profile. The last time I got a type A flu, it was from a foreign person (not that there is anything wrong with that, but this person did not have a clue about re-directing coughs) sitting behind me on a commercial flight. He coughed on me for hours, and there were no empty seats in the A/C. This was 3 days prior to my getting my first CPAP, and I got to adapt to the machine and mask while down with a type A flu. Memorable.

Since this flue is H1N1; and since the flu shots typically include an H1N1 component, I'll be curious to see if any epidemiological info mentions some level of cross immunity within those of the population who got flu shots in 08.

This is an unusual time of year for a flu outbreak. Something about this "outbreak" doesn't seem right.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:45 pm

In a plane you are packaged up in a tin can, plenty of chance to pass everything on. I don't think I would count on Homeland Security to keep me safe, there and the governments track record rates pretty poor. Unless you call disapearing people in the middle of the night good. Rule #1 don't trust big brother. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Trinity101

Post by Trinity101 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:57 pm

If you do opt for masks, remember they only work for a limited time- a couple of hours at most- they are not all-day devices.

I know why you're here... I know what you've been doing... why you hardly sleep,.. and why night after night, you sit by your computer... It's the question that drives us... It's the question that brought you here. The Matrix,1999

Brushy Hollow Bill

Post by Brushy Hollow Bill » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:12 am

I think it will run its course and then Mr Obama will step forward and announce that he and big government whupped it good.

SeaPappy

Post by SeaPappy » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:00 am

[quote="Paul56"]I just got back from a coupla weeks in San Antonio.

While there I caught something. At first I thought it was allergies so I doubled up on my allergy meds. That seemed to calm things down, but then about 3 days before I left SA I started coughing, sneezing, nose blowing, etc.

Was still in the throws of something when I came back to Canada... and then I hear about this swine flu in Mexico and start wondering. Fortunately, I never did develop a fever.

Paul, don't worry too much....practically everyone around these parts has been suffering from these symptoms (coughing, sneezing, stuffy, etc.) for the last several months, probably because of the drought causing extreme amounts of allergens to float around wreaking havoc on everyone's sinuses. Just another of the perks of living in S. Texas.

James
When I woke up this morning my girlfriend asked me, 'Did you sleep good?' I said 'No, I made a few mistakes.'
Steven Wright

DyannaK

Post by DyannaK » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:23 am

I am a school bus driver... What constantly astounds me is the number of parents that send their kids to school sick. The kids hack and cough their lungs up all over the bus. I have even had them throw up on the bus... I constantly wash my hands with soap and water during the day while I am home and as soon as I walk back in from driving the bus. So far there haven't been any reported cases of anything like this where I live. I am going to continue with the hand washing and buy some extra groceries so just in case we do have any reported cases I can avoid going to town. Hubby manages an auto parts store and he is getting extra bottles of hand sanitizer to put on the counters to use every time they handle money. Neither one of us can afford to come down with this and we don't want our little girl exposed to it either.
I dont suffer from insanity.... I enjoy every minute of it!

Resmed S8 Elite II CPAP, Hybrid Full Face Mask W/Nasal Pillows, H4i Humidifier,
Rescan 3.7 Software & Smart Card Reader, Pressure 12, started CPAP 1/8/2009

OwlCreekObserver

Post by OwlCreekObserver » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:29 am

Brushy Hollow Bill wrote:I think it will run its course and then Mr Obama will step forward and announce that he and big government whupped it good.
Seems like he's on TV more than Billy Mays.

Personally, I've decided to take all necessary precautions by avoiding broccoli and unnecessary labor.

OCO

SleepyRose

Post by SleepyRose » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:32 am

Im a tad worried because of our Cruise in May. I think cruise ships are breeding grounds for anything. To be safe, I have TamiFlu and some ABs to take, hand sanitizer, etc.

It seems to me that wearing a mask would help prevent the spread from the mask wearer but if youre trying to not get the Flu, wouldnt your mask just clog up with bad germs and youd be breathing them in concentrated doses?

Anyhoo, I think many of us have had our Pneumoina shot, and possibly this years Flu shot will offer some protection.

If it's the plague, I'm saved and ready.

luke

Post by luke » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:42 am

Sleepyrose wrote:

"If it's the plague, I'm saved and ready. "

Thats the ticket Rose !

Bill