Product Challenge 9: Chinstrap Challenge

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
forumadmin
Site Admin

Product Challenge 9: Chinstrap Challenge

Post by forumadmin » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:25 am

Howdy CPAPtalkers,

Welcome to Product Challenge 9. We are fresh off our APAP challenge and ready for more. This time we're pitting Chinstrap against Chinstrap. Respironics Premium vs. ResMed Sullivan.

Why have we chosen to follow the epic APAP battle with Chinstraps? One has only to visit CPAPtalk threads to know the reasons:

1. Quoting -SWS from this thread:
-SWS wrote:But back when that product challenge was originally launched, it left an impression on me along the lines of: "Who'd a ever thunk to have a CPAP tubing product challenge of all things...?"

Of course, it makes a lot of sense since tubing is such a crucial component.
2.Who has any data on chinstraps? CPAP.com star ratings represent the most comprehensive data collection on the planet. Not good enough!

3. CPAP.com sells a lot of them, which means there is interest and usage.

4. A lot of the designs we see baffle us. Frankly, they don't look very effective or comfortable. We need the help of CPAP users to turn mere opinions into actionable data.

5. Less is more with CPAP masks and if we could get some super effective chinstraps on the market, maybe less people would be forced down the full face path involuntarily.

Plus, It is ResMed vs. Respironics; that's gotta be good!

Here's where to sign up for Product Challenge 9 participant consideration:

Product Challenge 9 Enrollment

Those who take the time to enroll in the product challenges, but who are not selected, will be given a thank you in the form of a Sullivan Chinstrap discount code. The code will be valid two weeks after the results are released, which will give everyone the chance to review results.

My sincere thanks to the CPAPtalk community for supporting this push to improve the quality of products and freedom of information for CPAP users everywhere. Product Challenges are to CPAPtalk what voting is to democracy. Use your power, enroll for free goodies!

Johnny

yardbird

Re: Product Challenge 9: Chinstrap Challenge

Post by yardbird » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:48 am

forumadmin,

I have a challenge for YOU!

I don't have a chin strap at all, but I've been meaning to get one. Why not let me enroll even though I don't own one so I can test and compare BOTH ?

.... hey... it's worth a shot, y'know?

howkim

Post by howkim » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:28 am

I was unable to register. The error message mentioned an SQL error in line 1.

I am not a mushroom.

forumadmin
Site Admin

Post by forumadmin » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:34 am

Howkim,

Can you please paste the exact SQL error message? Once we have that, we will get right on it. Without it, we're shooting in the dark.

Johnny

forumadmin
Site Admin

Post by forumadmin » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:36 am

Howdy YardBird,

The Product Challenge is intentionally setup to mimic real world conditions. We want to know how the Sullivan will do against the Premium as measured by people who have paid their hard earned dollars for a Premium, use it and are being offered an alternative.

I see how people would think that sending two chinstraps to a CPAP user instead of sending one chinstrap to a person who already has and uses the other product would produce good feedback or level the field, but I don't agree. The field in real world shopping and preferences is NOT level. You have and use what you like already, and when you shop, you are looking for something that will beat what you have by a good margin - otherwise, why switch? The product challenge measures that switch, which is the key thing - AND it does it in a very public, unfiltered, user driven way.

For these reasons, I like the Product Challenge structure as it is. That being said, we have a new team member who will be focused on the Product Challenge. Her early suggestions and specs have been on target. I believe that the Product Challenge is in good hands. It will be fun to watch our system improve in the coming weeks and months. I wouldn't rule anything out.

It is an exciting time to be a CPAPtalker!

Johnny

howkim

Post by howkim » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:55 am

forumadmin wrote:Howkim,

Can you please paste the exact SQL error message? Once we have that, we will get right on it. Without it, we're shooting in the dark.

Johnny
Thanks for the quick reply, Johnny. I went back in to try to duplicate what I got, and it let me register.

I am not a mushroom.

yardbird

Post by yardbird » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:44 pm

I just can't argue with Johnny's logic.

But hey.... can't blame a guy for tryin' right?

ON WITH THE SHOW!

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:43 pm

I use a chin support -- my homemade Brandy Keg which works great for me. I've considered trying other chin straps, but haven't yet done so, since I have something which works.

Oh, well, another Challenge I get to sit back and watch for the results on.

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5