Flying with cpapa

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
mommaw

Flying with cpapa

Post by mommaw » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:28 am

Hello everyone,

I have not posted for a long time. I lost my husband of 45 years on Sept 10th 2008 and am having a very hard time dealing with living without him. So I have decided to take my 13 yr old granddaughter on a trip to Mount Rushmore to hopefully start living again. I have not flown for over 20 years and she has never flown. We are both very excited and a lot apprehensive. I understand that my cpap is not counted as a carry on, and that you can carry on 2 bags, is this correct. We want to take our laptop, so does a carry on bag and a laptop bag count as 2? Can we still carry a purse? What about distilled water, can I take some in my carry on or do I need to purchase when I get there? Will I need anything from my doctor regarding the cpap? As you can tell I am a complete dufus about flying. Any thing I need to know about security and when to arrive before the flight will be so appreciated. Also I use PureSleep, can I take a bottle and the little tray with me?

Hope all are doing ok. I have not kept up with the forum and see that alot of new people have joined.

Thank you in advance for any info you can share,

Mommaw (Gilda)

mdpooch

Re: Flying with cpapa

Post by mdpooch » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:38 am

I also am getting ready to take flight and what I have learned is that the CPAP is not counted as a carry on and yes you can carry on two bags, I am also traveling with my laptop. I understand that when you go thru secutrity you wil need to take your lap top out so they can scan it and your cpap machine as well. As
i have read earlier on this site that you should have you cpap machine in big zip loc bags as well to get thru security-I dont know but will know soon as I will be flying to mississippi in two weeks. as far as the distilled water I am going to buy it when I get there -less hassel on the plane and where your r going you will be fine , but if you have ant meds to take along make sure you have them in a baggie as well and you shouldnt have a problem carrying those thru security as long as they are properly labeled as a perscription, I am traveling with a diabeteic and we are carrying her sharps and insulin in a small cooler, you also should have a perscription for your cpap from your doc in hand , if anyone else has any input that I
may need to know or are missing please enlighten us

mindy

Post by mindy » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:42 am

mommaw wrote:Hello everyone,

I have not posted for a long time. I lost my husband of 45 years on Sept 10th 2008 and am having a very hard time dealing with living without him.

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss!

So I have decided to take my 13 yr old granddaughter on a trip to Mount Rushmore to hopefully start living again.

Good for you!

I have not flown for over 20 years and she has never flown. We are both very excited and a lot apprehensive. I understand that my cpap is not counted as a carry on, and that you can carry on 2 bags, is this correct.

Yes, that's absolutely correct. I've flown with my cpap plus a carry-on several times, as have others.

We want to take our laptop, so does a carry on bag and a laptop bag count as 2? Can we still carry a purse?

I think that a carry on bag and laptop counts as 2 unless the laptop is in the carry on bag. I won't swear to that one! Yes, you can still carry a purse, too

What about distilled water, can I take some in my carry on or do I need to purchase when I get there?

Distilled water falls under the <3 oz bottles in a 1 quart bag rule. So the answer is no, you really can't take enough distilled water on the plane. You can purchase when you get there. Or alternatively, you can use tap water and when you get back just soak the humidifer tank in water + vinegar. That removes all scaling and such and works just fine.

Will I need anything from my doctor regarding the cpap?

In theory, no, but it's generally a good idea to have a letter from your doctor. Most TSA agents are quite familiar with CPAPs but in some smaller airports it can be a bit of a problem.

As you can tell I am a complete dufus about flying. Any thing I need to know about security and when to arrive before the flight will be so appreciated. Also I use PureSleep, can I take a bottle and the little tray with me?

As far as security, here's the drill: when you get in line, you need to take your shoes off and put them in one of the plastic bins that go through the x-ray machine. You will need to take your CPAP out of its case and put it in a plastic bin, too. Since I figure there have been oodles of shoes from *everywhere* in those bins, I bring along 2 plastic garbage bags (one for each flight) and place that in the bottom of the bin and then cpap on top. After the bins go through the x-ray machine, one of the agents will take the bin with cpap (they should be wearing rubber gloves) and will take it aside and wipe it with a small strip (I think that's to test for explosives residue!)

You can take the PurSleep - it would be part of that 1 quart bag with each bottle containing less than 3 oz. The tray could just go in your carry-on bag.

If you are staying at a hotel, you might want ot bring an extension cord in case there's no outlet near the bed -- or check ahead of time if the hotel has one.

Hope all are doing ok. I have not kept up with the forum and see that alot of new people have joined.

Mommaw (Gilda)
Any other questions, just ask!

And I hope you have a great trip with your granddaughter

Mindy

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
--- Author unknown

mindy

Post by mindy » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:45 am

mdpooch wrote:I also am getting ready to take flight and what I have learned is that the CPAP is not counted as a carry on and yes you can carry on two bags, I am also traveling with my laptop. I understand that when you go thru secutrity you wil need to take your lap top out so they can scan it and your cpap machine as well. As
i have read earlier on this site that you should have you cpap machine in big zip loc bags as well to get thru security-
Unless the cpap in ziploc bags is something new, I've never needed that. Someone may have done that to keep their machine clean? When the TSA needs to swab for explosives residue they would need to take it out of the zip loc bag anyway. It sounds like a good alternative to the trash bag solution for keeping the cpap clean.

Mindy

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
--- Author unknown

Fredman

Post by Fredman » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:57 am

I always leave my CPAP in the carry case. No objections from TSA. I have flown through major airports of the last year and the year before...Miami, LAX, Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton. Never, never have they asked for me to take it out. It's medical equipment and should not in my opinion be placed on the non sanitary belt nor bin. A laptop is not life essential, why TSA treats them differently I don't know. I just keep mine in it's nice little warm bag!

They may or may not swab your unit. If they want to. They confirm that the unit is yours and advise that they are going to swab it. They open the case, they may remove the unit or they may not and they swab it with a clean sample swab. A few seconds latter the test is done and you are on your way.

Cheers!

kteague

Post by kteague » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:17 am

Gilda,

Love your picture - it does look like a piece of paradise, the kind of place I'd like to go to if I were on a getaway. Living in the midwest, the shores are appealing to me. Hope your trip (way) inland is enjoyable and memorable.

I am so sorry to hear of your hubby's passing. My husband died when we were practically youngsters after less than 4 years and it was understandably quite an adjustment. Can't begin to imagine how "different" life would feel after 45 years of marriage. May this trip with your granddaughter be the beginning of many of life's pleasures you have yet to enjoy. Would love to hear about it when you return, and of your experience with the cpap and security.

Kathy

bunkit

Post by bunkit » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:26 am

mommaw wrote:Hello everyone,

I have not posted for a long time. I lost my husband of 45 years on Sept 10th 2008 and am having a very hard time dealing with living without him. So I have decided to take my 13 yr old granddaughter on a trip to Mount Rushmore to hopefully start living again. I have not flown for over 20 years and she has never flown. We are both very excited and a lot apprehensive. I understand that my cpap is not counted as a carry on, and that you can carry on 2 bags, is this correct. We want to take our laptop, so does a carry on bag and a laptop bag count as 2? Can we still carry a purse? What about distilled water, can I take some in my carry on or do I need to purchase when I get there? Will I need anything from my doctor regarding the cpap? As you can tell I am a complete dufus about flying. Any thing I need to know about security and when to arrive before the flight will be so appreciated. Also I use PureSleep, can I take a bottle and the little tray with me?

Mommaw (Gilda)
Since I'm a flight attendant, I can answer some of the bag questions. No, your purse does NOT count as a carry on. You may have two carry on bags AND your purse.
The water you will not be able to get through security so you'll have to buy it in the airport after going through TSA. Then it's usually more expensive. I recommend taking snacks with you. Especially on a long flight. I don't know who you're flying but most carriers charge for everything now (except the one I work for).

I am SO SORRY about your husband. I lost mine 5 years ago. It's VERY HARD. No one can tell you how long it takes to even begin to feel like living again. Some days it seems as if it happened a long time ago, some days as if it just happened.

I hope you have a fabulous trip. It will do you good!