Cool Air

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
caffeine please

Cool Air

Post by caffeine please » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:10 am

Good Morning. My latest issue is the cool air blowing into my mask when I first turn my machine on and am trying to fall asleep. I think warm air would be much more conducive to sleep. I have a resmed hose cover but it was for the 6 ft hose I had at the time and now I have a 10 foot hose.

I know there is a logical solution somewhere???

OutaSync

Re: Cool Air

Post by OutaSync » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:48 am

You might try the Aussie heated hose. And until that comes in, you might try heating your distilled water in the microwave before filling your humidifier. I haven't tried that, but it seems as though it might work. Anybody else?

Sleep Study Titrated to 19 cm H2O
Rotating between Activa and Softgel
11/2/07 RemStar M Series Auto with AFlex 14-17
10/17/08 BiPAP Auto SV 13/13-23, BPM Auto, AHI avg <1

RipVW

Post by RipVW » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:39 am

Yep, the Aussie Heated Hose is "the heat." It REALLY warms the air moving through the hose. You can check it out here:
http://www.sleepzone.com.au/showitems.a ... AP%20Tube'

Check out my chinstrap--> http://cpapchinstraps.com

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:56 am

caffeine please wrote:Good Morning. My latest issue is the cool air blowing into my mask when I first turn my machine on and am trying to fall asleep. I think warm air would be much more conducive to sleep. I have a resmed hose cover but it was for the 6 ft hose I had at the time and now I have a 10 foot hose.

Personally, I like the cool/cold air......but......

I was thinking the humidifiers can be "pre-warmed" (for a certain amount of time) before the machine is actually started. I know the older Respironics machines I use have that feature. You could buy some fleece and make a longer cover.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Jere

Post by Jere » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:36 pm

This is a little off topic, but could save someone time and money.

I have had an Aussie heated hose for 3 years and suddenly it stopped working. I figured that 3 years was probably the life span of the hose and its wiring so I ordered a new one. The new hoses now come with an AC adapter. On a whim I plugged the old hose into the new AC adapter and - you guessed it - it warmed right up.

So, a $15 purchase at Radio Shack would have saved me the cost of a new hose. I am not too unhappy about, as I now have an extra hose at the ready once the old one finally dies (waiting 3 weeks for the new hose to arrive was not fun).

Live and learn.
"First rule of holes: when you are in one, stop digging"

nanuke

Post by nanuke » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:23 am

How about connecting the power cable of the humidifier to a timer? I use an X10 module programmed to turn on about 8:00 PM and shut off at 6:00 AM. The water is just right by the time I go to sleep at 10:00 - 11:00, and it saves me from being a knucklehead in the AM and forgetting to turn it off.

Like I said, I use X10, but I'm sure an ordinary mechanical timer, available anywhere, would do.

Nanuke

Jason S.

Post by Jason S. » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:02 pm

I had the same question. I am supposed to have a heated humidifier but the air is never warm. It is cool when I stert up the machine, and still cool in the middle of the night. Its not cold or unpleasant though. I would think warm air would be a bit suffocating anyway with the full-face mask.

Additional Comments: Max pressure set at 15cm

caffeine please

Post by caffeine please » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:12 pm

Thank-you everyone for your ideas.
Wulfman wrote:I was thinking the humidifiers can be "pre-warmed" (for a certain amount of time) before the machine is actually started. I know the older Respironics machines I use have that feature. You could buy some fleece and make a longer cover.
I think I am going to buy some fleece to either make up the difference or just make a cover for the entire hose.

I double checked my machine and the humidifier cannot be pre-warmed seperate from the machine
RipVW wrote:Yep, the Aussie Heated Hose is "the heat." It REALLY warms the air moving through the hose. You can check it out here
The aussie heated hose is cost prohibitive for me

rippersmom

Post by rippersmom » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:37 pm

caffeine please wrote:Thank-you everyone for your ideas.
Wulfman wrote:I was thinking the humidifiers can be "pre-warmed" (for a certain amount of time) before the machine is actually started. I know the older Respironics machines I use have that feature. You could buy some fleece and make a longer cover.

Yes, the humidifiers on the S8 machines can be prewarmed. Press the right button for a second or two and release. The led screen will say "HUMIDIFER WARMING" It only takes a few minutes for the warm air to flow. I found, for me, that a very low setting on the humidifier dial was all I needed to be comfortable. If I turned it up too high, it felt like I was in a sauna! LOL

Nancy in AZ
Retirement Rocks!

nobody

Post by nobody » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:36 pm

I can't stand the heated air, makes it harder for me to sleep coz I feel like I'm suffocating

nanuke

Post by nanuke » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:44 pm

caffeine please wrote:Good Morning. My latest issue is the cool air blowing into my mask when I first turn my machine on and am trying to fall asleep. I think warm air would be much more conducive to sleep. I have a resmed hose cover but it was for the 6 ft hose I had at the time and now I have a 10 foot hose.

I connected the humidifier to an ordinary, inexpensive mechanical timer and it works just fine. On at 8:00 PM and off at 6:00 AM... or close enough to those times.

It works just fine.

SLEEP WELL