Sinus troubles

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
card gal

Sinus troubles

Post by card gal » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:43 pm

I would love to hear some responses from anyone who has had my particular problem. I have been using CPAP for several years now. Here is the problem.

About every 3-4 weeks I will wake up in the morning sneezing my head off - at least 10-12 times. Then the rest of that day & 2-3 days afterward my nose will drip constantly. I can take 3 or 4 different sinus medicines, but nothing seems to help. This is very frustrating. I have asked my family Dr & he suggested taking Zyrtec. That's fine & I will. However, I would love to know what I could do to prevent this from happening.

I also guess it might make me feel a little better if I knew I was not the only person with this problem. I am certain it is related to the CPAP machine.

Any responses will be appreciated.

card gal

snoregirl

Re: Sinus troubles

Post by snoregirl » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:04 pm

You got my attention. My bottom line answer is humidity too low.

I just switched from my Auto M series to my tank apap and forgot to put on the humidifier Thurs night. I tend to do this once or twice a year. The M series humidifier goes on by itself, the tank you have to push the button.

I had to leave work at 11am due to sneezing, dripping (nose and eyes) and generally a sinus mess. Took me from Friday morning to late Sat night to feel human again. AND, you are right, no medicine for allergies works. Just have to tough it out and let the nose heal. This is not the first time I have done this, but it always equates with me forgetting to turn on the humidifier in the winter.

So, for the symptoms you describe that is my best guess.

What was your humidifier on and was there water in it.....

jmercer

Post by jmercer » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:42 am

Hi!

I also am having the same trouble. It has been TERRIBLE! I have been taking antihistamines, decongestants, Loratidine, Claritin, etc. Nothing is working. I was considering purchasing the more expensive Zyrtec this weekend. I have never been affected by allergies before and I do not think this is an allergic reaction anymore. I have been reducing/eliminating the humidity from my machine and was contemplating adding more to see if that would help.

Jeff

GaryGarland

Post by GaryGarland » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:58 am

Could the humidity be too high? can there be rainout going in your nose? (the dripping made me think of that). have you tried nasal rinses? i bought the neilmed nasal rinse (about $12 from CVS) and have used it about 15 times so far - i don't love it, but i like the concept. you can drip for a while afterwards if you shift your head - so that made me wonder if you have water in your sinuses that are then draining out. i doubt the sinus rinsing can hurt...

Gerryk

Post by Gerryk » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:32 am

Do you use a humidifier on your machine? Have you tried nasal rinse?