Upper Back Pain

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
nightsoncpap

Upper Back Pain

Post by nightsoncpap » Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:42 pm

I'm new to this forum and CPAP, having only been on a machine for less then three weeks. In the last four days I am waking up after several hours with extreme chest/rib and upper back pain. The pain subsides after sitting upright in a chair for a period of time. Have others encountered this and if so is there a fix?

Kdin1

Re: Upper Back Pain

Post by Kdin1 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:53 pm

nightsoncpap

I am also new to a BiPap machine I also had the sme problem on the first night only.

Not sure why

One Tired Puppy

Post by One Tired Puppy » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:33 pm

nightsoncpap wrote:I'm new to this forum and CPAP, having only been on a machine for less then three weeks. In the last four days I am waking up after several hours with extreme chest/rib and upper back pain. The pain subsides after sitting upright in a chair for a period of time. Have others encountered this and if so is there a fix?

I have been having a lot of upper back and chest discomfort this past couple months, but it is caused from GERD. I can only get relief by sitting upright while sleeping. Mine usually lasts 6-8 hours and begins either before bed or sometimes during the night. If it continues, see your doctor as you may need Prevacid or other protein pump inhibitor. In the meantime, try some Gaviscon (liquid, as it works faster). Make certain you are not eating anything that is spicy or gassy as this will really aggravate the condition.

It's best to see your doctor as heart attack symptoms can be very similar, especially if you are a woman.

Anne

kavanaugh1950

Post by kavanaugh1950 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:43 pm

I think you are probably lying in a different position and not moving for a period of time. I know thats what happened to me when I first started with the cpap. Its better now.

GuyK

Post by GuyK » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:22 am

One Tired Puppy wrote:I have been having a lot of upper back and chest discomfort this past couple months, but it is caused from GERD. I can only get relief by sitting upright while sleeping. Mine usually lasts 6-8 hours and begins either before bed or sometimes during the night. If it continues, see your doctor as you may need Prevacid or other protein pump inhibitor. In the meantime, try some Gaviscon (liquid, as it works faster). Make certain you are not eating anything that is spicy or gassy as this will really aggravate the condition.
I have had the same back pain problem, starting about two weeks into therapy. It has been better the last two weeks or so (after maybe three months total of therapy), but it hasn't gone away completely. In fact, I woke up about a hour ago with back spasms.

There was an earlier thread, I think around October 1, that also talks about back pain. In it, it became pretty clear three things are blamed:
1. sleep position (on therapy, you maybe move around a lot less and staying in one position for a long period of time)
2. rib cage expansion, from breathing more deeply
3. aerophagia

What Anne lists above was also mentioned by my somnodoc, and he prescribed "omoperazole" for me (I think he may have meant omeprazole, but I need to check with a pharmacist -- I think it is a commonly-misspelled drug). I told my somnodoc that I haven't had any reflux issues since starting therapy, and he said that is normal, but didn't revise his advice on back pain. He also told me that it wouldn't be rib cage explansion "because that would be felt in the chest, not the upper back", and that sleep position might be likely too.

On my own, however, I've noticed that while I don't have abdominal pain from aerophagia, I do expel a little bit of gas upon getting up in the morning. After about twenty minutes or so, the back pain subsides. I'm content at thinking the back pain might be related to aerophagia, and possibly GERD. As soon as I try om-whatever, I think I'll have a better idea.

Guy

nightsoncpap

Post by nightsoncpap » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:33 am

Thanks everyone. That gives me some things to consider. I'm wondering if it isn't related to over expanding my chest from deep breathing. My machine is set up for 15 and it may be I'm just not use to it yet. Strainage though it started after a couple of weeks and not right away. I have a follow-up on Monday and will see if the doc has any thought on it as well. Again thanks for the input.

nikitasa

Post by nikitasa » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:52 pm

What will help lower back pain from standing on hard floor at work? I stand on a hard floor for 8 hours a day (everyday) at work. By the time I go home my back is hurting so bad I find it hard to stand up-right and walk. Back belts are not allowed. Is there anything I can do to ease the pain while I'm working?

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:11 am

I had a lot of physical discomfort getting used to CPAP: my lower ribcage area hurt esp in the back like a kidney infection but dull & achy not sharp, it hurt to take deep breaths (it hurt so into the second wk that I called doc who said this was normal & take some aspirin for a few days), I woke up stiff from not moving around while asleep, my face hurt from the straps (lotta twiddling to find the sweet spot), my nose hurt if I didn't set the precise right angle on the pillows, the center cartilage between my nostrils hurt if the mask shifted on my head (learned to use hair spray on hair in back of my head to keep the headgear from slipping), my nose got congested and ran like crazy for the 10-30 minutes after I woke up, my nose felt dry after the runniness (hadda play with humidifier settings), my throat hurt (right setting on humidifier fixed that), my neck and shoulders hurt from the weird angle my head was positioned at while sleeping the first few weeks.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:20 am

nikitasa wrote:...stand on a hard floor for 8 hours a day...Is there anything I can do to ease the pain while I'm working?
pelvic tilts every 30-45 mins, shift weight from 1 foot to the other, shift weight to the front of the foot while slightly raising your heel then reverse with weight on the heel and slightly raise the front of foot, get a small box and prop one foot on the box for awhile then shift to the other foot, wear the brace under your clothes.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:16 am

nikitasa wrote:What will help lower back pain from standing on hard floor at work?
Really, really good shoes. What shoes does you where? I know its odd but if you help your feet, they help your back. I found this out while doing x-ray tech work in hospitals and clinics where the floor was mainly concrete.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:30 am

What will help lower back pain from standing on hard floor at work?
Proper support and gel insoles. Think about a house - if the foundations are weak the whole house shifts.
Exercise for the whole pelvic region and abdominals will help They are the muscles that work to keep you upright.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

beatherica

Post by beatherica » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:01 am

What can I do to ease back pain while driving? I have a 2005 Pontiac Vibe. I drive it about 80 miles round trip 2-3 times per week. After each trip, I have pain in my mid-lower back. I have explored new vehicles with lumbar support, but I'm not sure if that will really solve the issue. Any suggestions on relieving back pain associated with an extended period of driving?

KatieW

Post by KatieW » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:28 am

beatherica wrote:What can I do to ease back pain while driving? I have a 2005 Pontiac Vibe. I drive it about 80 miles round trip 2-3 times per week. After each trip, I have pain in my mid-lower back. I have explored new vehicles with lumbar support, but I'm not sure if that will really solve the issue. Any suggestions on relieving back pain associated with an extended period of driving?
This is what worked for me: Look at the seat of your car--does it tilt down so your hips are lower that your knees? If so, adjust the seat if possible, so it is level. If your seat doesn't adjust use a few towels or a firm foam wedge to level it. Try a small cushion, or rolled up towel for lumbar support. Make sure your are closed enough to the pedals, so you don't strain to reach for them. Have your arms at 9 and 3 o'clock, rather that at 12. Hope that helps.