Poll: GERD and Sleep Apnea

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Timing of GERD diagnoses

I have sleep apnea but have not been diagnosed with GERD
31%
I was diagnosed with GERD first and then later sleep apnea
57%
I was diagnosed with sleep apnea first and then later GERD
11%

Total votes: 261

BeanMeScot

Re: Poll: GERD and Sleep Apnea

Post by BeanMeScot » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:06 pm

I was diagnosed with GERD 10 years ago. I had an upper GI due to symptoms of stomach pain. The pain turned out to be my gallbladder but they said I had a small hiatal hernia and some reflux. My GP then put me on Prilosec but I stopped taking it when it did nothing for the gallbladder attacks. I have taken it off and on over the years when I had symptoms. When I was put on cholesterol lowering medication a couple of years ago, the GERD got much worse and I needed to take Prilosec daily. I was scoped a couple of months ago by an ENT and he said there was thickening of my esophagus but didn't say any more than that.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:11 pm

jskinner wrote:What tests should be performed to access the extent of GERD damage. My ENT did an endoscopy when I complained of feeling like I had a lump in my throat. He discovered a sore spot on my Epiglottis, said the cause was GERD, and sent me home with some Nexium samples.
I think the endoscopy should be the most comprehensive test. Here is an interesting quote from a booklet I picked up at my ENT....."A weak lower esophageal sphincter (LES) allows stomach acid to move up into the esophagus. This may cause the upper esophageal sphincter to constrict. If this happens you may feel as if you have a lump in yout throat."

I would think that the Nexiom would give you some relief if taken for 30-60 days. Good Luck

One Tired Puppy

Post by One Tired Puppy » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:24 pm

H,

I have been offline for a while so missed this post. I had GERD a couple years before being diagnosed with OSA. I also had a hiatus hernia back in 1989. I do not have much acid reflux (hardly ever). My main issue with the GERD is heartburn through chest and upper back and just before going to bed or waking up with it. Either way, it lasts for 6-8 hrs minimum. I also take Previcid 2 x day and a lot of Gaviscon in between. I just finished taking another drug for empyting the stomach faster. Last night was a very bad night and needed to sit upright again. I actually invested in a bed that has a remote to move it up or down on top and bottom. This saves me from having to shut off machine, take off mask and get out of bed to gather cushions to prop myself up with. Now I just push the button.

I personally think mine may be made worse by the cpap machine because mine started getting worse only since I started cpap. I could be wrong. It could be just a coincidence. My readings were not higher but actually lower last night. Maybe because I wasn't fully asleep most of night.

I do believe that anyone with GERD symptoms should be checked for sleep apnea as well.

Anne
I'm still working on finding a pressure that keeps my numbers down. I have been staying at one straight pressure for 10-14 days before moving up. I'm trying to not think about the centrals and that is why I haven't been online for awhile. When I get the pressure numbers right then I can allow myself to think more about this. I don't want to let the fact that I can do nothing about the centrals until the spring stress me, so need to keep them of my mind for now.

jskinner

Post by jskinner » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:05 am

A properly executed endoscopy by a good ENT should reveal the damage done.[/quote]

Should that endoscoypy include looking at the esophagus past the Epiglottis?
Encore Pro Analyzer Author
Facebook Apnea Group

roster

Post by roster » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:01 pm

What symptoms are you having? How have you responded to Nexium?

Last edited by roster on Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rooster
I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

jskinner

Post by jskinner » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:26 pm

rooster wrote:What symptoms are you having? How have you responded to Nexium?
The main symptom that I have had for a long time was feeling like there was a big lump in my throat, trying to clear my throat, difficulty swallowing, and some coughing. However since starting on the ASV, which has higher pressure, I'm started to have a sore throat a lot. I've been getting a lot of air swallowing on the ASV which seems to aggravate the situation.
Last edited by jskinner on Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Facebook Apnea Group

roster

Post by roster » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:49 pm

A "scratchy" throat was one of my GERD symptoms. I was a parttime college lecturer for awhile and had to have a bottle of water on the lectern to keep from losing my voice. I always thought the problem was allergies but it went away when I treated the GERD.

Are you still taking Nexium? The nurse at my GI doc's office told me that often a GERD patient will have to try several medications before they find the one that works for that individual. I had never heard this and Prevacid gave me immediate relief and total healing in less than three months.

Have you elevated the head of your bed to help relieve GERD?

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

jskinner

Post by jskinner » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:49 pm

rooster wrote:Are you still taking Nexium?
Yes, its been just over three weeks now.
rooster wrote:Have you elevated the head of your bed to help relieve GERD?
Yes, six inches.
Facebook Apnea Group

goose
Location: The left coast - CA... If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!

Post by goose » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:15 am

I was diagnosed with GERD at least 15 years ago (probably longer - lots of brain cells ago....) - I was going through anti-acids like candy. I never had a test or any GI work done, but the doc prescribed Prilosec, the acid went away, so the "assumption" was GERD. I've been on Prilosec ever since and I do note that if I don't take it for a night or two the acid comes right back. I've never really slept elevated other than once in a great while. I have an endoscope all the way into the stomach every couple years that shows minor irritation.....

I was diagnosed with OSA in November 2006 and have been on the xPAP since June 5th 2007 (yeah -- it took that long to get the machine after diagnosis!!!!! PSG in Nov. '06, Titration in Mar. '07, Script for xPAP mid May '07..... )
Had I known then, what I know now I'd have certainly tried to accelerate the process a bit!!!!!

I've never really thought about one being related to the other.....

cheers
goose

-the Dalai Lama

roster

Post by roster » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:32 am

jskinner wrote: .......
Should that endoscopy include looking at the esophagus past the Epiglottis?
On second thought, I would recommed the procedure I had which is esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EGD).

Regarding EGD, someone has written this advice in Wikipedia: "Some physicians advocate once-in-a-lifetime endoscopy for patients with longstanding GERD, to evaluate the possible presence of Barrett's esophagus, a precursor lesion for esophageal adenocarcinoma." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gastroesop ... ux_disease

Except for fasting, it was an easy outpatient procedure with twilight sedation.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:35 am

viewtopic.php?p=229347#p229347

The third link in my post on that page doesn't work now, but the others still do.
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

roster

Post by roster » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:54 pm

James,

To add to your body of knowledge please see this excerpt, http://www.westsideent.stirsite.com/f/S ... apters.pdf , from Dr. Stephen Park's new book, Sleep, Interrupted.

In chapter one, Dr. Park describes what we have often referred to as silent GERD. It is actually laryngopharyngeal disease or LPRD. It is associated with SDB. Pages five and on of the excerpt are quite interesting and likely related to our conditions.

The home page, http://sleepinterrupted.com/ , for Dr. Park's book has lots of interesting information.

More information is found at the web site, http://www.westsideent.stirsite.com/Homepage.html , for his medical practice in NYC.

I must say, Dr. Park may be catching up with the late Snoredog.

Best regards,

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:20 pm

Rooster,

You sure about those links? I can't reach any of them....

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

roster

Post by roster » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:34 pm

I just tested all three and they open quickly.

I hope you can get to them because they are quite interesting. Considering to order the book.

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:42 pm

Hokay, this time I could get to the info on the book, but not the other two... mebbe it's something weird with my service provider.

You're right: the book looks very interesting.

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5