What to look for in a good doctor ?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
papdad

What to look for in a good doctor ?

Post by papdad » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:39 pm

Have now been on my CPAP for just over a week. Have an appointment to go back to Dr. mid December. So far I haven't really gotten a lot from the Doc that I am seeing. He looked at my sleep study results, saw where they had written CFlex and a setting and proceeded to script the same. He was not really open to discussing any other options (machines - APAP vs. CPAP vs. BiPAP) and did not really seem to appreciate my asking questions. Is this the normal ? What shoud I expect when I go back in Dec. ? Should he download my card and go over the results with me or will he just ask how I am doing ? Do I have the option to change doctors if I am not satisified -- I have Medicare and supplement. Have been doing quite a bit of reading in this forum and it seems that most doctors don't really get that deep into xPAP treatments.

Any comments will be appreciated.
NB
ResMed VPAP Auto 25 - HumidAire 4i - Mirage Quattro FF - Invacare Platinum XL & Homefill II

boston

Re: What to look for in a good doctor ?

Post by boston » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:55 pm

In the begining I felt lucky, both my doctor and DME SAY they uses cpap, however, I seem more knowledgeable than they do.
I havent seen my doctor since he refered me to the sleep study. My DME just seems to want $$$$$.

Bring your questions here, youll get better answers than anywhere else.

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:06 pm

depends on your perspective I guess, for me, I not only want a good doctor, I want one that looks good
someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

boston

Post by boston » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:36 pm

hey snoredog, could you PM me with the name and measurements, er number of your doctor ???

OldLincoln

Post by OldLincoln » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:35 pm

My opinion only... I insist that my doctors respect my involvement in my medical care. I do research and come prepared to discuss conditions, options and their recommendations. My experiences thus far is that they take notice of my preparation and respond quite well. Some seem relieved to find a patient that is trying to learn. Without fail, if after discussing options, I say I think I'd like to try "B", instead of their "A" first they are OK with that.

Also, by actually talking with them, I usually can get some free samples of a med my insurance doesn't cover but is fun.
ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet / F&P Simplex / DME: VA
It's going to be okay in the end; if it's not okay, it's not the end.

CorgiGirl

Post by CorgiGirl » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:40 pm

Yep, I'd be looking for a new sleep doctor asap. On Medicare, you can pick your doctor -- unless you joined a Medicare HMO, but it doesn't sound like you did since you have a supplement.

We have a number of members in Texas. If you'll let us know where you're located, one of them may be able to help you find a good doc near you. If you're in the Metroplex, I can query some friends of mine in the area.

Machine: Respironics M series Auto with A-Flex
Humidifier: Respironics M series Heated Humidifier
Software: Encore Viewer

boston

Post by boston » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:50 pm

OldLincoln wrote:My opinion only... I insist that my doctors respect my involvement in my medical care. I do research and come prepared to discuss conditions, options and their recommendations. My experiences thus far is that they take notice of my preparation and respond quite well. Some seem relieved to find a patient that is trying to learn. Without fail, if after discussing options, I say I think I'd like to try "B", instead of their "A" first they are OK with that.

Also, by actually talking with them, I usually can get some free samples of a med my insurance doesn't cover but is fun.

excellent advice we should all follow

papdad

Post by papdad » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:06 pm

We have a number of members in Texas. If you'll let us know where you're located, one of them may be able to help you find a good doc near you. If you're in the Metroplex, I can query some friends of mine in the area.

Am north of Dal/Ft.Worth area nearly into Okla.
Thanks to all for the comments.
NB
ResMed VPAP Auto 25 - HumidAire 4i - Mirage Quattro FF - Invacare Platinum XL & Homefill II