Zippered Hose Cover

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
PaulfromMD

Zippered Hose Cover

Post by PaulfromMD » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:50 am

I'm new to the board, but have been using Bipap for over a year. I heard about a zippered hose cover, but have been unable to locate one. Could someone give me a link to an on-line supplier that sells them? TIA.

hobbs

Re: Zippered Hose Cover

Post by hobbs » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:59 am

So as not to prefer one vendor over another; http://www.google.com/search?q=resmed+h ... =firefox-a

My wife and I both have one. There are made to fit A 2 METER hose. I paid about $14USD.

gasp

Post by gasp » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:28 pm

I really like the ResMed hose cover. The zipper works well and is very easy to put on and remove. I went looking for the link and found this very peculiar advice from ResMed that foil might work. Can you imagine wrapping the hose with aluminum foil?

I can't use my humidifier during some nights because my hose fills up with water condensation. What can I do about it and why does this happen?
This condensation is called "rainout." If your room is cold, the warmed, humidified air hits the colder room temperature and cools. When air cools, the amount of humidity (water vapor) that it can hold is reduced, which causes the humidity to "rain out." The amount of water air can carry varies with temperature: warmer air can carry more water while cold air can carry less. As warm air becomes cooler (eg, overnight), it has less capacity to carry water, so water condenses and forms droplets. There are a couple of ways to deal with this situation. (1) You can try turning your humidity level down. (2) You can raise the temperature of your bedroom at night to lessen the difference between the room temperature and the humidifier—make sure that your bedroom window is closed. (3) You can run the air tubing beneath your blankets to keep it warm. Alternatively, you can cover the tube with aluminum foil some type of insulation such as our Tubing Wrap. The goal is to keep the tube and its air warm.

Source: http://www.resmed.com/en-us/patients/im ... roducts#Q4

Link to the hose cover:
http://www.resmed.com/en-us/products/hu ... u=products

The hose cover works, but not well enough to prevent rainout if you have a cold room and warm air in the hose. I believe it would prevent rainout with a small disparity in temps. I like sleeping in a cold room. I'm going to give the foil and the wrap a try just to see what happens!

plr66

Post by plr66 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:39 pm

As usual, I am amazed by this forum. I was just thinking about hose covers today, and wondering about the zippered one, but thought it might be too trivial a question to raise by itself. And as usual, another subject comes up that I am interested in, and at just the right time!

So since the subject has been raised, I'm wondering if the ResMed's zipper is covered, and whether the zipper actually interferes with the flexibility of the hose. Are the Snugglehose covers easy to slip on and off for washing? And finally, are both of the same weight fleece?

Thanks for everyone's patience, as always.
DeVilbiss IntelliPap Std Plus with Smartflex; Transcend miniCPAP & Everest2 w/humidifier & batt for travel. UltraMirage FFM; PadACheeks; PaPillow. Using straight CPAP at 13.0/passover humidifier. AHI consistently < 1.5. Began CPAP 9/4/08.

MichelleFL

Post by MichelleFL » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:46 pm

This is an excellent question and for a good nights sleep you don't want to feel a cold, hard plastic tube.. Or at least I don't think so.. I have not started mine yet but it just makes sense to me..
Newbie to sleep apnea. Anxiety and panic attacks. If I can do it, you can too! It's not as bad as you think.. :)

SleepyNoMoreNotLoggedIn

Post by SleepyNoMoreNotLoggedIn » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:53 pm

I just purchased a "Resmed Zippered Hose Cover" to use over my "Aussie Heated Hose", and it is to small, errrrrrrrrr...
I thought I read a while back that someone here purchased one for their Heated Hose and it fit very well??? If you have a heated hose, I would not suggest getting this one, I bought mine at direct home medical.com for $14.00 & s&h of $4.50.
SleepyNoMore

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:10 pm

I use the PAPillow brand zippered hose cover on my aussie hose, it fits nicely.

looking4zzzz

Post by looking4zzzz » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:19 pm

hmmm...I just ordered the zippered hose cover from the first link tonight. I hadn't heard of the Papillow hose cover, but now that I've seen it, I wish I had ordered that one. Oh well, if the first one doesn't go the trick, I'll be checking out that Papillow one again. Thanks for the info.

SleepyNoMore

Post by SleepyNoMore » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:24 pm

Guest wrote:I use the PAPillow brand zippered hose cover on my aussie hose, it fits nicely.
Where did you buy it at? And how much???
Thanks
SleepyNoMore

Thank You "SNOREDOG" will live in our Hearts forever...

May you always have
Love to Share,
Health to Spare,
and Friends that Care. :)

Pineapple

Post by Pineapple » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:15 am

I made mine - 8 inches of polar fleece wrapped around my hose. Some one on this forum said that you had to make sure you could wrap the fleece around your hose twice, but I don't remember who it was. I made bands out of 1/4 inch elastic to secure it(every 6 inches), but if you didn't what to take the time to make them, you could just use rubber bands.

Gasp, have you tried the foil yet? The geek in me says it shouldn't be dangerous so long as your not using a heating cable. I'm still thinking the idea through, maybe against the hose or layered in that second wrap of fleece.

Paul56

Post by Paul56 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:41 am

I'm tossing this idea out there...

Need two hoses: The machine hose and another hose somewhat bigger... exactly how much bigger is up to you. The idea is to place the smaller hose inside the larger outer hose and insulate the space between the two. This concept works well for pre-fab wood stove chimneys to prevent creosote buildup inside the stovepipe. The outer hose protects the insulation and adds a layer of insulation itself.

The biggest issue will be the weight of the finished product and that tugging on the mask, but there may be a way around that by having a short length of uninsulated "virgin" hose between the insulated "contraption" and mask.

gasp

Post by gasp » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:22 pm

Pineapple wrote:I made mine - 8 inches of polar fleece wrapped around my hose. Some one on this forum said that you had to make sure you could wrap the fleece around your hose twice, but I don't remember who it was. I made bands out of 1/4 inch elastic to secure it(every 6 inches), but if you didn't what to take the time to make them, you could just use rubber bands.

Gasp, have you tried the foil yet? The geek in me says it shouldn't be dangerous so long as your not using a heating cable. I'm still thinking the idea through, maybe against the hose or layered in that second wrap of fleece.
Not yet : ) If it worked that would mean I'd have to do it all the time. Since using the Travel Buddy hose hanger I bought on CPAP.com and putting a pillow on top of the hose as it routes up to the hose hanger, I don't even have moisture in the hose. This means I won't have to take the hose off the machine, the cover off the hose, hang to dry, etc. etc.! Yeah. If this stops working for any reason I will run not walk to the kitchen for aluminum foil : )

kteague

Post by kteague » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:46 pm

I'm just wondering... at my sleep study last week there was a item in use that had not been used in any previous studies. It was a long cloth tube with a zipper that appeared to be the size of a hose cover, but was used to contain the many wires. I thought it was great, and I didn't spend the night fighting wayward wires. Wonder if they found an "off label" use for a hose cover or if it was actually designed to be a wire cover. I'd love to be the inventor selling those to every sleep lab!

plr66

Post by plr66 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:21 pm

I have been unable to locate a link for the PAPillow brand zippered hose mentioned here. Also still hoping for any responses to my questions above. Somehow I just don't have any desire to have an aluminum foil covered hose in my bed, thanks. Very strange idea...... But you go for it, if that seems like a good idea to you! The differences are what makes this forum so interesting and helpful to so many.
DeVilbiss IntelliPap Std Plus with Smartflex; Transcend miniCPAP & Everest2 w/humidifier & batt for travel. UltraMirage FFM; PadACheeks; PaPillow. Using straight CPAP at 13.0/passover humidifier. AHI consistently < 1.5. Began CPAP 9/4/08.