Disposing of an old cpap machine

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
gregnga

Disposing of an old cpap machine

Post by gregnga » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:12 am

I have an old, off brand CPAP machine that I no longer use since I now have a Reperonics Auto Cflex. How should I dispose of my old machine

Julie

Re: Disposing of an old cpap machine

Post by Julie » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:08 am

Hi, how many hours are on it? What is it (+ bells & whistles)? If it's still got lots of time left, you could sell or auction it off on the forum here (see headings in blue section). As far as "recycling" issues are concerned I don't know what's done down there but your local garbage authority might be able to tell you.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:34 am

If it still runs consider your local Visiting Nurse Association or A.W.A.K.E. You can find the nearest AWAKE w/a google search.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:20 am

I was going to say burn it in your fireplace should last a couple days but if it is a Resmed I heard
they started using flame-retardant plastic so that one may last a week.
someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:18 am

Actually, if it still runs you might wanna keep it as a backup device.

Don't worry about a Resmed burning for a week, that M Series can put it out w/humidifier tank water in no time!!! Of course, the Puritan Bennetts could be fanning the ashes ..... but then the new Sandman can throw sand on any flames ... on the other hand, a DeVilBiss IntelliPAP might be smart enough to recognize just how good a CPAP the Resmed is and save it from the onslaught of those other CPAPs.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

Bearded_One

Post by Bearded_One » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:19 am

Just toss it out with the rest of the trash, there isn't much that can be recycled.

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:02 pm

Gosh, I use my old one to dry the condensation in my hose. If you don't want it, give it away.

marshaeb

Post by marshaeb » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:36 pm

Snoredog wrote:I was going to say burn it in your fireplace should last a couple days but if it is a Resmed I heard
they started using flame-retardant plastic so that one may last a week.
Slinky wrote::lol: Actually, if it still runs you might wanna keep it as a backup device.
Don't worry about a Resmed burning for a week, that M Series can put it out w/humidifier tank water in no time!!! Of course, the Puritan Bennetts could be fanning the ashes ..... but then the new Sandman can throw sand on any flames ... on the other hand, a DeVilBiss IntelliPAP might be smart enough to recognize just how good a CPAP the Resmed is and save it from the onslaught of those other CPAPs.
Slinky..........1
Snoredog....0

Way to come back, Slinky!!!

Marsha

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:32 pm

gregnga wrote:I have an old, off brand CPAP machine that I no longer use since I now have a Reperonics Auto Cflex. How should I dispose of my old machine
I'm curious what you consider "old" and "off brand". Could you please tell us more about your "antique"? Does it still run?

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

ThatMaskedMan

Post by ThatMaskedMan » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:39 pm

If it's *really* old and *really* off-brand, maybe there's a cpap museum. Insomnyak would know.

Speaking of old, I remember when Alaska got statehood and we had to get a 49-star flag. Sarah Palin wasn't even born then. Darn, she makes me feel old. Maybe I should go into that museum.

mkirkwag

Post by mkirkwag » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:30 pm

gregnga wrote:I have an old, off brand CPAP machine that I no longer use since I now have a Reperonics Auto Cflex. How should I dispose of my old machine
If it still works, definitely put it on cpapauction or give it away. Sleep equipment is pricy and there are desperate people with no health coverage out there. I just met one a couple of weeks ago, in fact, who would be grateful to find something he could use.

RosemaryB

Post by RosemaryB » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:01 am

If you don't have a backup and aren't thinking of getting one, I'd go with the backup idea. I would never be without a backup! If you are going to have a backup, find a way to give it away or auction it cheap. Even an old machine is better than none for someone with OSA.

Thread on how I overcame aerophagia
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t3383 ... hagia.html

Thread on my TAP III experience
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t3705 ... ges--.html

Post by Guest » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:19 pm

feel free to send it to a university. Engineering students love exploring

Paul56

Post by Paul56 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:36 pm

Don't dispose of it. Keep it as a backup should your main unit fail.

Only dispose of it when you replace your current unit at which point everything shuffles one step to the left... with the oldest machine getting the boot out the door.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:23 am

Check the URL in his Sig:

RemRest Premium Product Detail
Model: 902
This second level CPAP machine was engineered with an internal pressure transducer that allows real time pressure measurement.
Features:
Noise Reduction Technology.
Power Cord and Tubin.
Carry Bag.
LCD.
Ramp Time & Pressure Settings.
Auto Compliance.
Dynamic Calibration.
Auto Attitude Adjustment.
Internal Voltage.
Digital Set-Up.
Data Storage: Total Running and Usage Time.

http://www.lifemedicalequipment.com/det ... 85&show=45