Solution for air in mouth?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
plr66

Solution for air in mouth?

Post by plr66 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:13 am

I've just been at this for about 10 days now, and have tried FlexiFit nasal mask, Quattro FF mask, and now have the Swift LT which is truly the keeper mask for me. With every one of the (actually 5) masks I have tried, I have wakened at least once in the night to my mouth being completely dry & stuck together. Thought it was just my mouth opening up, but twice last night was conscious enough to discover that my mouth had not been open at all (lips sealed and no chapping at all like I would get when breathing through my mouth with a cold). The distinct wooshing sound woke me--otherwise, the LT is completely quiet. What's happening is that the back of my throat/nasal passage is opening up to allow the air coming into my nose to woosh out into my mouth from the back. Hope this makes sense. Obviously not something I can control when asleep! Do I need to be concerned about this decreasing the effectiveness of my cpap? What say you all?
DeVilbiss IntelliPap Std Plus with Smartflex; Transcend miniCPAP & Everest2 w/humidifier & batt for travel. UltraMirage FFM; PadACheeks; PaPillow. Using straight CPAP at 13.0/passover humidifier. AHI consistently < 1.5. Began CPAP 9/4/08.

roster

Re: Solution for air in mouth?

Post by roster » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:35 am

plr66 wrote: ......... With every one of the (actually 5) masks I have tried, I have wakened at least once in the night to my mouth being completely dry & stuck together. ..........
This is a classic sign of mouth breathing or mouth leaking. Air moving from the throat into a "sealed mouth" will not cause the mouth to dry out. Air moving from the throat into the mouth and out through the lips often does cause drying.

What is your leak rate?

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

plr66

Post by plr66 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:52 am

I should have clarified that it is the whole inside of my mouth, tongue etc which is stuck together and dry. Lips are tightly shut and have no chapped feeling, which is why it does not seem that my mouth is dropping open at night. I don't know what my leak rate is, and not sure that I have access to that yet (my machine only has a so-called SmartCard with no reader).
DeVilbiss IntelliPap Std Plus with Smartflex; Transcend miniCPAP & Everest2 w/humidifier & batt for travel. UltraMirage FFM; PadACheeks; PaPillow. Using straight CPAP at 13.0/passover humidifier. AHI consistently < 1.5. Began CPAP 9/4/08.

roster

Post by roster » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:03 am

plr66 wrote:........ Lips are tightly shut and have no chapped feeling, which is why it does not seem that my mouth is dropping open at night. ..........
In order to be aware that the lips are tightly shut, one has to be awake. When one is asleep, one does not know what is going on.

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

plr66

Post by plr66 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:07 am

And so my question is whether the wooshing air inside my mouth is not a problem??

roster

Post by roster » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:35 am

I like bets and will give you 3-to-1 odds that you are mouthleaking or mouthbreathing. Either of these is a big problem. The machine will not be able to maintain an appropriate pressure and your apneas will continue.

You need to have your card read and check the leak data.

Gerald

Post by Gerald » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:13 am

PLR66......

What nobody has told you yet....is that you may need to tape your lips shut in order to prevent your problems....and make your therapy much more effective.

I've been on the hose for 2-years......and discovered the benefits of "taping" about 1-year ago.

I use 2" Blue Delicate Release 3M masking tape from the Lowe's paint department....and it works GREAT.

If you want to try it, let us know.....and a bunch of us will give you tips & tricks on how to do it.

Gerald

roster

Post by roster » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:56 am

Gerald wrote: .......
What nobody has told you yet....is that you may need to tape your lips shut in order to prevent your problems....and make your therapy much more effective.

And now a differing opinion from a former taper. Try very hard to get a full face mask to work for you. Taping should be a last resort.

racefan

Post by racefan » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:08 am

Not to hi jack this thread, but what options are there to tape for those of us with a full beard?
Why do black tires make white smoke?

fortomorrow

Post by fortomorrow » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:12 am

I taped up for the first time last night and still woke up with a dry mouth and a sore throat.

But I also forgot to turn the humidifier on.

plr66

Post by plr66 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:18 am

Thanks to both of you for comments & suggestions. I was searching the forum just before gerald posted, to research mouth taping. Found Rested Gal's great list of links, and a great education at viewtopic.php?t=8011 Also found a post or two on her first links that exactly explained what I was trying to communicate--which is that the problem actually can be different than simply breathing through the mouth....described as a break in the seal between the base of the tongue against the soft palate.

In any case, I am going to try taping tonight, and may at some point also try the oral appliance mentioned in the first links given there.

I've said it before. I love this forum. Thanks to all who kindly help with their experience and knowledge.

Gerald

Post by Gerald » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:23 am

I use a piece of 3M Blue #2080 about 8" long....ends folded 1/2" (to provide removal "handles")......and remove the tape by pulling parallel to my face. If I pull the tape perpendicular to my face, it pulls the skin uncomfortably.

LoQ

Post by LoQ » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:10 pm

rooster wrote:Taping should be a last resort.
I tape. I do want to try a full face mask to see if I can get that to work. But it is not that easy to acquire a FFM. I have no idea what size, and until I can find a way to figure that out, I'm taping. Even if I KNEW the size for certain, I would tape until I got the mask. I wouldn't go one night without taping while I'm stuck using this nasal mask. So taping for me was a first resort. I think it is not the best solution, but I wouldn't call it a last resort. Your advice to look for a different solution is wise, though.

racefan wrote:Not to hi jack this thread, but what options are there to tape for those of us with a full beard?
I suggest you take a look at the denture adhesive strips.

plr66

Post by plr66 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:02 pm

Personally, the FF mask is so uncomfortable that I'm thinking my next step is to use tape until I order and receive a Nose Breathe Mouthpiece on 28-day money-back trial. The FF mask was quite hot & humid inside, and I found my nose itching intensly all night......and there just is no simple way to scratch that itch without completely waking up to re-set the mask.

mkirkwag

Post by mkirkwag » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:03 pm

And now for the contrarian view: I still got dry mouth with my mouth taped using nasal masks - pillow and "regular." My doctor finally told me that it isn't uncommon and isn't necessarily solvable - it's exactly what you describe. They see it in the lab with people who aren't mouth-breathing. I know someone is going to get irate and call them incompetent. All I can say is that it's an award winning sleep clinic and I've had good care. That doesn't guarantee that they're right, but it does fit with my experience. The way I get some relief is to raise the expiration relief setting (c-flex on my machine) to it's highest level (greatest amount of relief-lowest pressure). That keeps me from getting that full mouth feeling most of the time. I still get some dry mouth, so I use a dry mouth wash right before bed and keep a glass of water next to the bed. Of course you'll also want to explore the good advice you got here and find out if you really are mouth-breathing before you give up. Good luck!