Anyone have this symptom?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Anyone have this symptom?

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:58 am

Hi all,

Once again, I come to drink at the fountain of wisdom that is cpaptalk.com.

So just recently I have experienced a numbness on the outer side of my right thigh. I cannot remember exactly when it started but I think it was around the time I started CPAP usage (abut 6 weeks ago). It's like a sort of burning/tingling sensation. Like when your foot falls asleep only a large patch of my leg. Seems to be worse when I'm lying down or sitting. Some nights it is painful/distracting enough to wake me up. I think so anyways, hard to tell what actually woke me up, it's just I wake up and then feel this discomfort in my leg.

Could this be due to now sleeping totally still? As opposed to my tossing and turning before hand. I've tried various sleeping positions (side, elevate leg, etc.) but nothing seems to help.

I did some web searches and found this could be caused by anthing from diabetes to a pinched nerve.

Guess it's back to the doctor again. The guy doesn't see me for three years and now because of heart issues and apnea, he's seeing me practically bi-weekly.

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:28 am

Get thee to the doctor immediately! I know a burning sensation in your leg can be a symptom of phlebitis--nothing to mess around with!

dsm

Doctor

Post by dsm » Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:08 am

Yup, Go to your doctor.

Good luck in getting to the cause of which there could be many.

Cheers

DSM
xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

ehusen

Post by ehusen » Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:48 pm

Hello,

I'm the original poster on this thread. (Thought I had been logged in but oh well.)

So I went to the doctor as per your advice. He believes it to be (drum roll please)...

"Lateral Femoral Cutaneous Neuropathy"

It is essentially a pinched nerve running through the pelvic bone. It's very common in overweight men (i.e. me) and those women from the 80s who wore incredibly tight jeans (not me).

The cure? Wear loose clothes (preferably sweats or such) for a few weeks and see if it goes away. I've compromised and am wearing very loose fitting jeans to work for now. I do have on a belt but it is on the last loop and I'm at constant danger of going in "plumber mode" if you know what I mean.

So yet another reason to lose weight.

He said my symptoms match that cause exactly. The only discrepancy is that at night it sometimes gets worse. It should actually be better at night since I'm not scrunched over a keyboard or wearing a binding belt.

But as is typical, see if this fixes it. The good news is my BP is right in line with where it should be now.

In CPAP related news, I'm the guy always wondering "if it helps". For the last week and a half I've been kind of "manic" for lack of a better word. Going crazy working blasting through work, fixing up stuff at home, and getting my finances all in order. So maybe, just maybe (I'm not admitting anything yet. ) there's something to this CPAP treatment.

My Doc asked how the CPAP was going, I said I've got good nights and bad nights still. He said stick with it, and I will. All you guys here help greatly.

Thanks again,

Eric

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:05 am

That's good news, Eric. So now all you have to worry about is remembering to keep hitchin' those pants up!