Relaxation techniques anyone ???

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
snamvar

Relaxation techniques anyone ???

Post by snamvar » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:26 pm

I am just wondering as if others have or are practicing any relaxation techniques like meditation, yoga etc.
I have just enrolled in a relaxation class at my local hospital called "Mindfullness meditation". I think in this day and age with too much to do and too little time, it could be very beneficial to give the mind a rest
I don't do mornings !!!

Rigby

Post by Rigby » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:06 am

This is weird, but I have two scenarios that **always** make me feel relaxed and sleepy. I used to travel space-available with the military and that meant long waits in airports, sometime for days. I'd get exhausted and I remember lying down on the floor covered with my coat and it felt like Heaven.

The other is one night in High School when a bunch of us unexpectedly crashed on my friend's living room floor. We were pretty much wall-to-wall, it was late Fall and cool, you could hear the furnace coming on and off. The big family dog was nearby. We had been out running around, having a good time, no drinking, no drugs, no sex, no trouble. There was no conflict, no worries. It was a simple, safe and happy memory.

I've also made lists: Think of all the animals that begin with "A", then "B" and so on through the alphabet. It took me a couple weeks to get all the way though. Hey, whatever works!

Rigby

"I can't breathe!"
"Turn your machine on!"
"Oh."

snowdog

Post by snowdog » Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:18 pm

I've studied several martial arts over the last 10 years or so (whatever school I'm in seems to go belly-up after two or three years, not like I'm jumping around intentionally). I did Tai Chi for a while until the instructor left the area. There I first learned some Qi Gong exercises. My last school was an Aikijujutsu school where the master was big into the Chi aspect. We did a lot of breathing and Chi exercises there as well. Well, continuing the pattern he closed down a few months ago so I've been without a school. I still keep up with the exercises but not as much as I should. There's another Aikijujutsu school about 40 miles from here but he requires more attendance than I can give with a one year old at home. You actually have to interview with the school and part of the interview (from what I've read on the website) is a promise to attend three classes a week. I just haven't got that much free time.

luckylinda

Re: Relaxation techniques anyone ???

Post by luckylinda » Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:11 pm

I am just wondering as if others have or are practicing any relaxation techniques like meditation, yoga etc.

While I would like to be able to use the techniques on my own, I find that my mind has trouble staying focused. So I have purchased a CD that I listen to with headphones.

Another technique that I use is my own brand of music therapy. Harp music is very soothing. I have several CDs by a particular harper that I really enjoy. I have worked in a Behavior Disordered classroom for the past four years and the music works very well to calm and focus my former inner city middle school kids. They complain at first, then they actually ask me to put it on!

I'd be happy to supply any recommended Cds if you are interested.
Lucky Linda

SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM

Post by SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:22 pm

SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM

CheezWiz

Post by CheezWiz » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:10 pm

I have 60 hours of Sounds From the Hearts of Space on my IPOD.
I set the sleep timer to 120 minutes at bed time. That music conks me out in no time. Has since I first heard it in the early 80's.

http://www.hos.com

------------------------>>>>>
I am Pentium of Borg. Precision is futile, you will be approximated.

krousseau

Post by krousseau » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:27 pm

Yes-I use progressive relaxation and guided imagery when I need a more focused approach and nature sounds when I just want to "meditate". Another technique is to "build a house"-haven't finished one yet (before falling asleep). Daytime relaxation can be drumming on a large drum I got in Taos many years ago.
Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof.....Galbraith's Law

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:19 pm

I made a MP3 cd-r of nature sounds, storms, brooks wind and animal calls, it runs for about 5 hours in a small boom box by my bed. I used to run the T.V.. all night but I would wake up every time the show went off, but again that was before CPAP.

Now I tend to wake up after 5 hours and reset the player. Ineed to see if I can make it longer.

Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Gidgie

Post by Gidgie » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:27 pm

Used to do that......plus guided imagery..........now, if I'm not asleep instantly I 'go to' the scene I like best......THEN sleep is instant......RT wonders how I can do that.......it took years of practice to get it down pat.

leaveye

Post by leaveye » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:34 pm

I got a cassette tape from my psychologist years ago called "The Jacobsonian Method: Progressive Relaxation Techniques" or something like that. It's freaking fantastic, especially for a high strung insomniac/nut job such as myself. I've worn out several of the tapes over the years and never have found it on CD (Let alone MP3). You can get it from new harbinger publications. I'd link, but I don't want to be accused of spamming.

P.S. If somebody should happen to have it on CD (and/or perhaps MP3) PM me. I'd like to "Discuss" it with you.

yardbird

Post by yardbird » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:15 am

I teach meditation.
So yeah, I practice meditation for relaxation among other things. The biggest obstacle to relaxation/meditation for most folks is that "busy mind" thing. So having something upon which to focus is usually beneficial at least for getting started. I like the Hemisync CDs. I'm pretty sure you can only get them online. I also like native american flute music (I make flutes to relax as well).

Snoozin' Bluezzz

Post by Snoozin' Bluezzz » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:59 am

I practice Mindfulness Meditation when I get around to practicing. When I practice it makes a large, even immense, difference in how well I deal with the world. Dealing with "Monkey Mind" or Racing Brain Syndrome (RBS) as I call it is the greatest challenge but I have learned to not be so very hard on others and myself and the effects are immediate when I do practice.

SB

snork1

Post by snork1 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:17 pm

I do Chen style Taiji and Push Hands Taiji. I found a mellow instructor and vowed to keep it relaxing to learn the form. It took a couple of years to learn it....but the idea is to relax, so whats the rush? And I play around with a few Qi Gong moves.

I don't know if my mtn biking and hiking is considered a "relaxation" technique, but it sure works for me.

I use a cocktail of meltonin, aspirin and calcium about an hour before going to bed, then I get through a couple of pages of reading in bed and I am out like a light. That is pretty relaxing.

Oh yah, does that one micro-brew beer in the early evening count as a relaxation technique?
Remember:
What you read above is only one data point based on one person's opinion.
I am not a doctor, nor do I even play one on TV.
Your mileage may vary.
Follow ANY advice or opinions at your own risk.
Not everything you read is true.