Full face masks not sealing at 18cm

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
stevoreno

Full face masks not sealing at 18cm

Post by stevoreno » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:29 am

I paid a visit to Apria Healthcare last week hoping I would be coming back home with some kind of a full face mask to replace my Respironics Profile Lite nasal mask. While at Apria I tried a Fisher & Paykel Flexifit HC 432, it wouldn't seal properly, it leaked bad, the RT then had me try a Resmed Mirage Quattro, it wouldn't seal good either and also whistled badly.

I then asked the RT if she stocked a Resmed Ultra Mirage FFM since it's rated highly on this website, Apria didn't stock that particular FFM nor could they order one, so I was told. Since 2 different FFM's wouldn't work I went with another nasal mask, a Respironics Comfortgel which is slightly better than my old Profile Lite and I was also given a chin strap.

I'm still having mouth breathing issues even while I use the new nasal mask and chin strap. My CPAP pressure is 18. Are there others out there in hosehead land with a CPAP pressure of 18 or greater who are on CPAP and not BIPAP who are able to use a FFM and get a decent seal? Feedback would certainly be appreciated.

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:05 am

I think the UMM will do the trick. Of course they could order it - they are Apria. Tell your doc you are having leak issues, see if he'll order you a bi-pap. I am now using the Headrest a nasal on 18/15 via bipap.

Good Luck,
Gumby_CT

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

stevoreno

Post by stevoreno » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:46 am

[quote="GumbyCT"]I think the UMM will do the trick. Of course they could order it - they are Apria. Tell your doc you are having leak issues, see if he'll order you a bi-pap. I am now using the Headrest a nasal on 18/15 via bipap.

Good Luck,
Gumby_CT

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:13 pm

yep UMFF should work fine.

Once you get away from that cheap Respironics interface crap you find there are a lot of masks available that can handle that pressure.

Apria only carries that cheap crap because it improves their profit margin, they don't care if it works or not.

Somnotech makes one that can handle 40hpa (or 40 cm) and they make another one that goes even higher with a different cushion.

However, I cannot recommend the Somnotech FF because I didn't find their FF mask all that comfortable, but their nasal mask the Soyala is fantastic.

someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

stevoreno

Post by stevoreno » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:35 pm

[quote="Snoredog"]yep UMFF should work fine.

Once you get away from that cheap Respironics interface crap you find there are a lot of masks available that can handle that pressure.

Apria only carries that cheap crap because it improves their profit margin, they don't care if it works or not.

Somnotech makes one that can handle 40hpa (or 40 cm) and they make another one that goes even higher with a different cushion.

However, I cannot recommend the Somnotech FF because I didn't find their FF mask all that comfortable, but their nasal mask the Soyala is fantastic.