ResScan card reader question . . .

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
hobbs

ResScan card reader question . . .

Post by hobbs » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:16 pm

After data download do you remove the card from the reader first or do you disconnect the reader from the PC?

Niteair

Post by Niteair » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:22 pm

I usually remove the card after I close resscan, and I never disconnect the reader from my pc. I don't think it would make any difference when you removed the card after downloading the data, unless you want to change the setup parameters for your machine via the card.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:15 pm

If I remember correctly the instructions are to Exit the program, then removed the data card. Check the ResScan "Help".

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

Shilohcane

Post by Shilohcane » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:29 pm

You should exit ResScan then you disconnect the USB reader from the PC by clicking on the USB icon in the tray ( lower right corner of screen) and stopping the USB port for the reader before you unplug it from your PC. Or less complicated simply shut down the PC and then pull the USB reader from the port.

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:42 pm

I don't know if any of this applies to Resmeds I use Encore Pro with an Infineer card reader but removing the card while the lite is green (reading the card) will cause the data to become corrupt. Kinda like removing a floppy while it is being read.

Slinky may know if they're the same.

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

abysmillard

Post by abysmillard » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:58 pm

My guess is that the reader was designed to be permanently connected to a PC that is used to read cards from a number of patients/clients as they come in. It would make sense to me that the tech would open a client's file, scan the card data in, remove the card and save the data, and then go on to the next client's card and file.

My own practice is that I leave the reader connected at all times unless I need the USB port for something else. Sometimes I'm lazy about scanning the card so after I download the data onto the card from the S8, I'll put the card in the reader and leave it for a few days. When it's time to download again, I scan the card into my file, pull it out, go download new data, and then scan that in. Usually the card stays in the reader from then until time for the next download from the S8 in 4-5 days. In 11 months of doing this routine, with random variations, I've never lost any data.

I expect it's a pretty forgiving system, but maybe I should add that I run Windows on an iMac using VMware Fusion.

bigk

Post by bigk » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:54 am

I always remove the card after I have downloaded it.

Resmed H3i Humidifier
Swift FX
Mirage Swift LT Nasal Pillows
Activa Nasal Mask
Resscan Software with USB + Data Card
SPO 7500 Pulse-Ox
MedicMon Blood Pressure Monitor
Aussie Heated Hose

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:11 am

Read the Manual? Are you kidding? Just 'cause I'm lazy I leave m card in the reader until I'm ready to do another download from my xPAP. At least that way I know where my card is and I don't misplace or lose it. I do think tho that I read you should leave "a" card in the reader before exiting the software. But I "ain't" swearing to nuttin' as gospel.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.