New to Sleep Apnea

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
brian2223

New to Sleep Apnea

Post by brian2223 » Sat May 31, 2008 2:34 am

I guess my biggest question is just how uncomfortable is the cpap masks??

I am looking foward to sleeping better, but not looking foward to sleep with some big contraption on my head.

But willing to try to actually get a restful sleep.

Any suggestions out there for me?

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): CPAP

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Sat May 31, 2008 6:28 am

In the beginning I found any mask on my face to be uncomfortable. Give it time and you will adjust to sleeping with a mask, hose, machine. Now I can't imagine sleeping without the mask! Is it totally comfortable? Not really. But I don't notice it as much anymore. It is just part of my nightly routine.
The mask IS the hardest part to get right. Everyone is different and what works for one won't for another. You just have to keep trying masks until you find the one that works best for you.

Brenda

bap40

Post by bap40 » Sat May 31, 2008 8:24 am

I was a lucky one. The mask and machine did not bother me at all when sleeping. The mask IS the hardest part of therapy. Having said this, I really don't have a problem sleeping with a mask on, but getting the right fit is what is difficult for most of us.

Just try and relax and let your machine do the work for you. Some people try to fight the air, but if you just relax... it will come easier for you. Time is the key in this treatment. Some of us find it is like 2nd nature to use the machine and mask, but for other's it can take them a long time to get used to it. Whatever you do, NOT USING the machine is not helping your apnea.

Good luck,
Brooke

tuna

Post by tuna » Sat May 31, 2008 7:11 pm

Like they say, the mask is the hardest part to get used too.. I prefer the swift II, but roommates ferret destroyed it (anyone got a good ferret recipe?), so I am using the Nasal Aire II and it works good..

HOSEHEADS of America: Striving for that long lost good nights sleep!

jaxdaddy

Post by jaxdaddy » Sat May 31, 2008 7:28 pm

I'll agree that given time, you will not be able to sleep without your mask. I know I'm in that boat now. The first few nights were uncomfortable but once I got the fit correct on my mask, it's been sweet dreams ever since.

Jere

Post by Jere » Sat May 31, 2008 8:08 pm

I had the same fear when I was first diagnosed (most of probably did). Turned out to be a bit of a process but I quickly found strapping on the mask to be just part of my bedtime routine. Nearly 3 years later I cannot sleep without the mask.
"First rule of holes: when you are in one, stop digging"

brian2223

The up side to cpap

Post by brian2223 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:03 am

I guess that there is an up side to the whole sleeping with a mask. I have been a volunteer firefighter for 12 years now. so the whole mask thing is not new. I am use to having something around my mouth, nose and on my forehead. So, maybe it will not take long to get use to the mask during the day fore I work third shift.