Size matters (hose)

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
zorrro13

Size matters (hose)

Post by zorrro13 » Tue May 13, 2008 9:51 pm

This info is just an observation however it may be useful to those with a 3m hose. I rigged up an overhead hanger and selected 3m on my display and for 10 straight nights my AHI went from early ones to 2.9 avg. I switched back to the 2 m hose and the last 5 nights avg AHI is 1
Not big numbers but a major change in how I feel and happy to have pinpointed the cause.

ozij

Post by ozij » Tue May 13, 2008 10:14 pm

Zorro,
You're using a Resmed Vantage - an auto. I wonder what your range is, and also, whether the AHI difference comes from more As more Hs , or is equaly divided.

O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue May 13, 2008 10:24 pm

Resmed must know their limitations, that's why they made you set your own machine. Same for the mask leak rates.

The other manufactures just spec in quality up front so users don't have to reset them all the time. Jim

Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

zorrro13

Post by zorrro13 » Tue May 13, 2008 11:48 pm

[quote="ozij"]Zorro,
You're using a Resmed Vantage - an auto. I wonder what your range is, and also, whether the AHI difference comes from more As more Hs , or is equaly divided.

O.

zorrro13

Post by zorrro13 » Tue May 13, 2008 11:57 pm

[quote="Goofproof"]Resmed must know their limitations, that's why they made you set your own machine. Same for the mask leak rates.

The other manufactures just spec in quality up front so users don't have to reset them all the time. Jim

ozij

Post by ozij » Wed May 14, 2008 3:46 am

First of all, I thought it's improtant to know under what conditions you got that result.

And then I was wondering what the hose length affected. Suppose a person had all apneas, and no hose lenght effect ? Suppose the hose length only caused more hypopneas?

It's rather surprising, in a machine that uses the hose length info - makes you wonder what the info is used for.

O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

zorrro13

Post by zorrro13 » Wed May 14, 2008 4:00 am

I agree with you ozij and apart from a deterioration in treatment the damn hose cost 60 oz dollars at resmed

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): resmed, hose

ozij

Post by ozij » Wed May 14, 2008 4:05 am

zorrro13 wrote:I agree with you ozij and apart from a deterioration in treatment the damn hose cost 60 oz dollars at resmed
Which makes 55.8658 USD according to todays exchage rate.

O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

dsm

Post by dsm » Wed May 14, 2008 4:57 am

Hi,

Adding length to a std hose drops the CMS at the mask by approx 1.2 CMS per 6 ft.

I would guess that is you increased your base CMS by at leas 1, the AHI score may (should) return to normal.

Cheers

DSM

PS Jim - the same would happen for most brands.

xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

zorrro13

Post by zorrro13 » Wed May 14, 2008 5:47 am

dsm. Thanks that sounds very logical for cpap but I'm in Auto mode and there is a specific selection with resmed to increase hose length and as ozij said, "in a machine that uses the hose length info - makes you wonder what the info is used for."

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): resmed, hose, CPAP, auto