Taking the CPAP on a flight

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Sid

Taking the CPAP on a flight

Post by Sid » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:27 am

We're going to be taking a flight in a few weeks and I will be bringing my CPAP machine for the trip. Would it be best to "cary on" the machine? I am assuming that there would be a smaller chance of damage and I'm sure that security will need to check it out as well. Any helpful comments?

mindy

Post by mindy » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:49 am

Based on previous posts, here are a couple of things I would do:

* Look up TSA regs for medical devices (and print a copy to take with you)
* Keep xpap separate - you are allowed a second carry-on in this case
* Bring a largish plastic bag since you'll need to put your xpap in one of those plastic trays which probably aren't very clean - so you'll likely want to put the plastic in the bottom of the tray
* Note that the TSA inspector is *supposed* to use fresh gloves when checking your xpap (although I'm not sure I'd want to argue with him/her).

For long flights, if you will need to use xpap during the flight, look up previous posts about people who had *much* aggravation with that, even when contacting airline ahead of time.

Would like to hear about your experience after your flight!

Mindy

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
--- Author unknown

MikeSleeper

Post by MikeSleeper » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:06 am

I am sitting in the airport now after going through security with one of these. You take it out of the case like a computer laptop. They knew what it was and what to do. They did run it through the bomb sniffer process, but it was routine and quick, and all smiles. Started an interesting discussion with the tester about OSA and what it was. Mindy's comments are correct, and written up on TSA page, just search for CPAP.

Machine: Respironics Auto/A-Flex -
SW: EncoreViewer
Humidifier: Respironics M-series heated
Mask: F&P FlexiFit HC431

Pineapple

Post by Pineapple » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:25 pm

Sid,

Diffentally carry-on your CPAP. I had the trip from H*** last month, in which my luggage apprently got left on the tarmack in Chicago (scanned off of the plane, but no record of in going into the terminal to be put on my connecting flight) and it was AOWL for a day and a half. Even as a newbie, I don't think I can go 2 nights without the CPAP.

I have a copy of the TSA regs and my prescription in may CPAP case just in case I need them.

BTW, I had no problem with the TSA or stewardess'. The signs passing through security at home had CPAP insturctions printed on them, although in Phoenix those instuctions were hand written on the sign. The only problem I had was with another passager who go mad about the fact I was allowed the extra carry on. I was just tired an mad enough to snap at him "this is medical equiptment, I need it to live, and they are required by law to allow me to carry it on it." The stewardess gave me a look like "I loved the response, but I don't dare say it". The other passager decided to back down.

woozle

Post by woozle » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:00 pm

I just got back from traveling on a plane for the first time with my cpap - I put my humidifier in my suitcase and took the actual cpap and aussie hose with me in a carry on and they just 'swabbed' it. They used a new Q tip type thing, swabbed the top of the machine and ran the Q tip thing thru a machine to see if it had any bomb type chemicals on it - was easy and they knew right away what it was - so was a piece of cake and quite a relief that is was not a big deal.

Bearded_One

Post by Bearded_One » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:22 pm

Don't forget to throw a cheap 12 foot (or two 6 foot) extension cord in your case. A 3-way adapter can be handy too.

This topic could use a sticky.

Treesap

Post by Treesap » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:10 pm

Pineapple wrote:BTW, I had no problem with the TSA or stewardess'. The signs passing through security at home had CPAP insturctions printed on them, although in Phoenix those instuctions were hand written on the sign. The only problem I had was with another passager who go mad about the fact I was allowed the extra carry on. I was just tired an mad enough to snap at him "this is medical equiptment, I need it to live, and they are required by law to allow me to carry it on it." The stewardess gave me a look like "I loved the response, but I don't dare say it". The other passager decided to back down.
Wow, I've flown about 6 times in the year I've been on CPAP. I've never had any issues with anyone except with some second-english speaking TSA people at the San Francisco airport. I got stopped twice within 10 feet to be told, "You can only have two carry-on items." I said "It's a CPAP." Then they let me through.

No passangers ever had the audacity to even say anything to me. Besides, my CPAP won't cause anyone but me any discomfort. I always carry on luggage. One small suitcase, one bag for toiletries (which includes my purse in it), and my CPAP. I put the CPAP under the seat in front of me with my toiletry bag. Only the suitcase goes overhead. I'm the one with less leg room, so nobody else better say anything to me about my "extra" bag.

But some people are jackasses. You handled your jackass well.

Work like you don't need the money;
Love like you've never been hurt;
Dance like nobody's watching.

roster

Post by roster » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:29 pm

Pineapple wrote:..... The only problem I had was with another passager who go mad about the fact I was allowed the extra carry on. .......
I am convinced many people act like asses because they have undiagnosed/untreated sleep apnea. What irony. You did handle this well.

BTW, two of my four sleep docs were recently on an hour-long local TV health program. One of them said she has seen at the airport a sign that says:

"Take your laptop out of its case for inspection."

and underneath it another sign stating:

"Take your cpap out of its case for inspection."

Anyone else seen this?

Pineapple

Post by Pineapple » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:40 am

That is exactly what is printed on the sign in the airport here a home. It was written with big black marker on the sign in Phoenix. Perhaps the TSA is getting tried of complaints that their agents are needlessly harassing CPAP patients