Benadryl?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
6PtStar

Benadryl?

Post by 6PtStar » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:05 pm

I know Benadryl is the extra ingrediant in Excedrin PM. Anyone taken Benadryl to help you from stopping up at night and to help sleep? I think it is primarly a antihistimene. How does an antihistimene help you sleep? My wife says if you take it for very long it looses it's effectiveness. Anyone know what the side effects oif taking it especially on a regular bases. I know I should have Googled it and done my research but I thought I read that someone on the board was using it. Some times I put more faith on someone who actually used it.

Jerry

I still play Cowboys and Bad Guys but now I use real bullets. CAS

JeffH

Post by JeffH » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:20 pm

Back before I had my septoplasty I took straight OTC generic Benadryl every nite for several years. No long term effects that I could see other than waking up grumpy from the stuff. After I had my nose fixed where I could breathe I quit taking it.

JeffH

jasper

Post by jasper » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:23 pm

If you Search for Bendryl on the forum, I think you'll find most of the advice is to NOT use it as a sleep aid. It can end up being ineffective and in some cases actually have a reverse effect. (I'm not a doctor or pharmacist, just quoting what I remember others having said).

Your best bet is still good sleep hygiene.

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:39 pm

Hey Jerry! I've been taking the generic version of Benadryl for YEARS as a sleep aid. What you want to look for is on the same shelf with the Benadryl, look for the house brand. I can buy a small bottle of 100 or 300 for under $10 at most places.

I usually take two a night to help me sleep. Usually works very well. An antihistime USUALLY makes you drowsy, so you can fall asleep. I often use it during bouts of random wakefulness to STAY ASLEEP. Worst side effect is a bit of grogginess in the AM. Sometimes my eyes are a little puffy.

I've talked to numerous people who have taken this for YEARS with no ill effects. I take it on and off. I haven't taken any for the past week, and I find I'm waking up earlier and earlier. I predict I'll start taking it again soon, if it migrates to the 3 am wake-ups I've been experiencing on and off since starting therapy.

None of my doctors have ever been concerned about me taking it. The sleep study folks were fine with me taking it there.

I have a former roomate who worked swing shift. She routinely takes only 1/2 a pill and claims it knocks her out COLD for the night, which is necessary, since she doesn't go to bed till about 2 am, and needs to sleep until about 11 am.

I don't normally take it with any pain medication, unless I'm in pain. Then I take Tylenol, or Ibuprofen, whichever I'm in the mood for.

Lemme know if you don't find it locally for cheap. I think I'm getting 300 pills from Costco for under $10.

Cheers,
Barbara

6PtStar

Post by 6PtStar » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:55 pm

Thanks, I may try one a few nights and see what happens and if it helps. Just been a little restless lately. Babs we don't have a Costco here but I know Krogers and Walgreens have their own cheeper brand. Will have to look at it and see what it goes for. I did Google it and looked at it. My only concern was a side effect that it could raise blood pressure. I may have to watch that and see if it effects me. The only pain medication I take is Aspirin but I am suposed to take some of that to keep the thick blood thinned out anyway.

Jerry

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:08 pm

I haven't had any problems with it raising MY BP, but YMMV. I take a Baby Aspirin every night as a prophylactic for what ails my heart, so you could probably add that into the mix, maybe.

Kroger brand is way cheap, too. I get a little bottle of them dirt cheap at the local Kroger's affiliate here (Fred Meyer). Look for a bottle, vs. a carton of those individual pop-sheet pills. What the heck do you call those? Anyway, the little bottles are way cheaper than the boxes of the pop-it pills.

LOL,
Babs

Panhandler

Post by Panhandler » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:43 pm

Hi, Guys!

I use Benedryl (the Wal-Mart generic) if I've got the sniffles, or Excedrin PM if my arthritis is bothering me, with no ill effects except a certain amount of grogginess in the morning, which wears off pretty rapidly. No other obvious negative effects.
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity.

PocketDragonFriend

My doctor recommended

Post by PocketDragonFriend » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:43 pm

My doctor recommended I use the Benadryl for sleeping. (Of course, that was before the apnea diagnosis.)

I usually use it 3 or 4 nights a week to get to sleep. I'm a night person but have a day job. Gotta find a way to get to sleep at a decent hour. Have been taking it for about 14 years or so.

Of course, anyone that has a doubt should ask their doctor or pharmacist. They are there to help.

----------------------------------------------------
DX: 1/2/08 RX: 18
Machine: REMstarPlus M Series w/ C-flex and humidifier
Mask: Hybrid
Mask: Ultra Mirage Full Face

TerryB

Post by TerryB » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:18 am

I've used the WalMart house brand (drug name is diphenhydramine ) along with an analgesic of one kind or another for several years. I've used it to sleep when adjusting my rhythms from jet lag etc. One time though I was a "whirling dervish" because I took it and Contact at the same time. Tossed, turned and spun around all night. Took it last night in fact. As long as you allow about 8 hours for sleep it's usually worn off by morning.

TerryB

trice54

Post by trice54 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:20 am

I have taken store brands of Benedryl for years for minor allergies, but not every nite, and not to sleep..I never found that it made me any sleepier..it just doesn;t affect me that way. No problems from it. My husband, though, can take just one and it knocks him out and leaves him groggy the next morning. ...Trice

6PtStar

Post by 6PtStar » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:31 pm

Thanks for everyones replys. I tried one last night and while it did not "knock me out" it seemed to relax me a bit. I wonder if my sleep was a bit deeper, AHi was a bit higher but not much. No after morning hang over. I will give it a few days, never base anything on one days data!

Babs, after your reply was not sure it would help at all! . Remember i've seen your data and you sure had a lot of gaps in your green lines.

Jerry

MrRandom

Post by MrRandom » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:36 pm

I've used generic diphenhydramine for years to help with sleep. I usually try to fall asleep on my own and if I'm not asleep within a couple hours then I take 50mg. It does nothing at all to clear my sinuses. I've been using generic pseudoephedrine ("sudafed") for that since starting the CPAP. The bad thing about sudafed is it can be stimulating.

Casiesea

Post by Casiesea » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:23 pm

I have heard rumors about benedryl, but I still take it nightly (usually 1 and another 1 if I am not asleep in an hour). I have been using it about a year and it still works for me. I know it can have the opposite effect on some people (like they took speed). I have also heard if taken long term it can cause dementia. I immediately called my doc, he said "no way". Google it if you are concerned. Its always good to be informed.

CalicoskiesNC

Post by CalicoskiesNC » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:03 pm

Add me to the list of those who take Benedryl or its storebrand counterpart almost every night, since starting cpap Jan 06. I take 2 tablets, my dr told me taking 2 was right for my size. Sometimes I take Advil PM (Advil with diphenhydramine added) if I hurt from arthritis and work.

I asked my dr and she had no issues with me taking Benedryl nightly. Told me it was a good antihistimine and its not addicting. It still works well for me, never had a problem yet with it not working anymore. Keeps me breathing clean all night, makes me very drowsy and I fall asleep easier and I stay asleep for a good 5-6hrs.

ETA that I don't take it to fall asleep, but rather to help with congestion I've had nightly for years. Used to use nose spray, but thats very harmful. Benedryl works great.

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): CPAP, clean

brandyII

Post by brandyII » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:25 pm

If you're talking basically over the counter sleep aids the ingredient that's in benedryl and other sleep aids doesn't seem to work for me anymore. I used them for years and they just stopped working.

I've now switched to a generic brand of Unisom which has doxylamine succinate in it. They're blue pills that come in an orange and white box. There are two types of Unisom and that's the only one that works for me. Just in case there's anyone out there who has had difficulties with other over the counter meds. The generic is about 1/3 the price. I don't take as many as I used to prior to the machine but sometimes still do. BrandyII