Love your CPAP?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Slinky

Post by Slinky » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:13 am

My first 30 nights on CPAP were the WORSE sleep of my life, except the two titration studies. Yeah, I had to go thru TWO of them because I only slept 42 minutes out of 6 hours the first one. And I didn't do all that much better the second one!

It took a 1 cm raise in pressure for me to start seeing SOME improvement. Enough to know I had to stick this CPAP bit out. But it sure wasn't any miracle! Given another 30 days and I was nagging the sleep doc again that this just wasn't good enough! That got me a 2 week loaner of an autoPAP that turned into almost 4 weeks. And another 1 cm raise in pressure.

I struggled w/the original Swift, I struggled w/the HC 407 (probably would have gotten along w/the 406), I got along fairly well w/the ComfortLite 2. I kept pushing for better results. My sleep doc ordered the addition of 2L of 02 along w/my CPAP. All along I saw improvement, not enough, but enough for me to keep pushing my sleep lab and sleep doctor for better therapy. My original local DME supplier was more hindrance than help. Forget them for any assistance! I went thru trying a couple of more masks before finally settling in comfortably w/the Simplicity.

At least I was falling asleep most every night w/in 10-15 minutes. Something I hadn't been doing for years. I was only waking 1-2 times a night instead of 4-6 times a night. And when I did wake during the night, I usually could go back to sleep after the bathroom run. No more sleep 2 hours, awake 2 hours, sleep 2 hours all night and a good share of the day. I seldom have to use Ambien. Maybe 1-2 times a month maximum.

Mostly I LOOK FORWARD to waking up in the morning. I look forward to looking at my data to see if it coincides w/how I feel. I'm not in a total coma first thing in the morning.

Still not sleeping as well, feeling as refreshed, as I would like - but a recent bi-level titration looks PROMISING!! I gave up pushing my sleep doctor for awhile 'cause I was doing so much better than prior to CPAP. I should have kept pushing and would have had the bi-level titration sooner. My bi-level should be available this week. My new (and good) local DME supplier had to order it.

Keep in mind I have other problems contributing to my sleep apnea. I have COPD which can really complicate 0SA therapy. I have on again/off again PLM or RLS. I have unaccounted for spontaneous arousals not related to breathing events.

Its my health, my sleep, my rest. Its up to me to push my health professionals to stay on top of my sleep problems. If they are not hearing from me they are free to assume I am doing okay and don't need any further assistance.

Thru all of this I have been 100% compliant w/CPAP except for 3-4 nights of nasal problems due to no or passover humidity during the autoPAP loaner and 2 sleep lab titrations. Why? BECAUSE I LOVE MY CPAP and the REST and SLEEP I get thanks to its therapy!!!!!

Would I WILLINGLY go w/o my CPAP???? No way! I may not have found perfect sleep yet - but I gotta tell you this is so much way more better sleep than I had the 10 years prior!!! YUP, I LOVE MY CPAP!!!

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:15 am

Well now we are getting over the mushy stuff and into the reality, The seedy dark underworld of the cpap scene. What love are you talking about?? I treat my cpap like a whore that gives me what I need. She is a bitch that hisses and complains and is way too moody and always needs a drink before bedtime. Impossible to take her to a masquerade ball as she is never happy with her mask. She forces me to tape my own mouth shut? Now that's abuse right there....talk about hi maintenance! Its a bitter marriage but I cant afford the divorce

BarryKaraoke

Post by BarryKaraoke » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:40 am

Anonymous wrote:What love are you talking about?? I treat my cpap like a whore that gives me what I need. She is a bitch that hisses and complains and is way too moody and always needs a drink before bedtime. Impossible to take her to a masquerade ball as she is never happy with her mask. She forces me to tape my own mouth shut? Now that's abuse right there....talk about hi maintenance! Its a bitter marriage but I cant afford the divorce
Priceless!!!!

Last edited by BarryKaraoke on Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:29 am

You may not love your machine, but you seem to be in love with the act of having CPAP. Bet you'd dump that machine in a second when a newer, sexier model came along.
Am I correct that the sleep doc. is a hose head?

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:35 am

Anonymous wrote:You may not love your machine, but you seem to be in love with the act of having CPAP. Bet you'd dump that machine in a second when a newer, sexier model came along.
Am I correct that the sleep doc. is a hose head?
Some do/will.......but then there are some of us that like the older, more mature models.

After all......it's DARK.....and sexy is, as sexy does.

Den (hoping he doesn't get dumped for a newer, sexier model)

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

canyongirl

love and hate

Post by canyongirl » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:03 pm

I hate mine because:
- i have to wear it every night
- it messes up and damages my hair
- it's a pain to travel with (just another bag to carry)
- some nights i just don't want to wear it (especially with a cold)
- some nights it just doesn't fit right
- its harder (but not impossible) to sleep on my tummy
- i am embarassed about a guest staying over (like romantic)

BUT

I wear it everynight.. yes 100% compliant

I LOVE IT because:
- i hate how i feel when i don't wear it
- i hate needing naps during my school prep periods
- I like to be able to watch tv at 9 and not go to bed at 9
- I can fish longer and harder than without it
- i don't have crazy dreams, as much tossing and turning, snoring, or waking up like im falling
- I know what physical or mental exhaustion is without being sleep deprived
- I fall alseep in 15 minutes versus hours
- my filters keep my allergies better at night
- I love my pur sleep
- I don't have heart palpitations anymore
- im a better person bec ause i am more rested
- i ahve more patience
- i eat healthier and even exercise (once in a while)
- i go out on friday or saturday nights now
- i can grade papers when i get home now
- i can do more in my day
- it saves your life......

it's like having a sister.. or at least my sister.. she's my worst enemy, but my best friend.. and i always go back to her, because i need her and she helps me be better

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:38 pm

zorro13 'guested' wrote:Well now we are getting over the mushy stuff and into the reality, The seedy dark underworld of the cpap scene.

---- (etc.)
ROTFL!!!!!
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

Beulah

Post by Beulah » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:33 pm

I don't know if it's "love" yet. We've only been together a month and a half, so it's still in the getting-to-know-you stage. But I can say that since learning what going without oxygen does to my internals (and externals!), I'm definitely growing to love this new machine. There are still kinks that need working out, and I've got an appointment here this week for some of that, but I will say that my skin already looks better. There was nothing really wrong with it before, but it just looks nicer, younger, fresher - like skin that's actually getting oxygen! And you bet! I am vain enough to have that right there be enough for me to plug in every night.

Paula

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:44 pm

For me it was love at first breath. It may be a marriage of convinence for my machine but I just can't live without her!
I to have pondered what lack of oxygen might be doing to my body and mind. And I did look in the mirror this morning and thought I was looking...Well Lets justs say not so old!

Organplayer

Post by Organplayer » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:52 pm

I have the energy to live my life. Which is way too full, but cannot do anything about it right now.

Without cpap, could not do it.

With cpap, its a snap.

Also, nice to know Im putting off death for a long while (according to my doc).

Kevin

Average AHI: 2 over the last year
Pressure:14 2600 hrs +

LindaCPAP

Post by LindaCPAP » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:33 am

Thanks everyone - your comments are very convincing and helpful and just what I needed to continue. I am doing better with the whole thing. Now I just need to tame my anxiety.

ozij

Post by ozij » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:38 am

Linda,
Your anxiety is a perfectly sane response from a brain that is programmed to avoid suffocation at any cost, and knew it was getting choked each night, No wodner your brain is still jittery at any remote reminder of that.

Whenever you feel the anxiety starting, tell yourself that it's OK, you're now doing your best to take care of whatever it was that was choking you, and though this feeling that is bothering you now feels similar, it's really very different.

O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

sleeplessinaz

Post by sleeplessinaz » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:44 am

Hi, Linda:

I'm fairly new, too...but I love mine because I wake up ready to go. I don't go back to sleep in the morning by hitting the Oh, yeah, and it's really nice that my husband isn't complaining about my snoring. or my kids!!! LOL!!

I am likely to be adding years to my life. I have read up on what sleep apnea can do to your body and I had a real WAKE UP call --no pun intended!!

I do have to warn you that it is very hard to adapt to wearing something on your face and being hooked to a hose getting ready for bed now takes a lot longer than just brushing your teeth. I've learned how to deal with things like getting PAD A CHEEK for your facial bruises, air leaks, managing equipment, etc. It isn't easy, but it's absolutely worth it. LOL
STICK WITH IT!

Carrie in AZ

APAP setting is 6 to 12
HH 2.5
Side Sleeper
HypoThyroidism & Diabetes
New Airsense autoset 12/08/14

CalicoskiesNC

Post by CalicoskiesNC » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:08 pm

While I would rather not need CPAP therapy, I must say that I am very happy with my CPAP. Not sure if I love it, but I certainly do appreciate it and recognize how it helps me. I've had CPAP for 2y and 3mo. Took me a good 3-4mo to become comfortable with it. I really don't have any issues, its comfortable for me.

I love not waking up 20+times (even more I don't know of) in the night...always looking at the clock, wondering why I have a gagging feeling in my throat. I wake up maybe 1-3 times a night now and usually never wake up before 4am. Sometimes I wake up at 6am in the same position I fell asleep in, and the covers aren't mussed at all!

I dream again! For years I didn't realize that I never had dreams anymore. While some may startle or puzzle me, its great having dreams again.

I don't have excessive afternoon sleepiness anymore. Even on a rainy Sunday afternoon, no nap for me!

yorkiemum01

Post by yorkiemum01 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:56 pm

but I will say that my skin already looks better. There was nothing really wrong with it before, but it just looks nicer, younger, fresher - like skin that's actually getting oxygen!
Hadnt given that much thought until I saw it in the forum, but a relative recently visited that I hadnt seen in a year, and she commented how much 'better I look'. Initially had related that to beginning a completely vegetarian diet the first of the year, but now I wonder if it is more the oxygen/sleep deprivation I had been suffering from due to (recently diagnosed) severe OSA.

Just now approaching my one month relationship with CPAP, but can already post improvements in both skin, mood, patience.......and memory! Until recently, I was feeling like a 70 yr old in a 38 yr old body, and can now report steady improvement.