What to do with blocked sinuses due to cold/sinus infections

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
rachie

What to do with blocked sinuses due to cold/sinus infections

Post by rachie » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:14 pm

I have chronic sinus problems from allergies, mainly, and often get totally or partially blocked sinuses. There's also the same problem with colds, and I get chronic sinus infections as well.

When my sinuses are blocked and/or inflamed like this, it is painful to use my cpap.

Any tips for how to deal with this? Anyone else have this problem? The doctor suggested using a decongestant nasal spray, and gave me a prescription for Nasonex...and also said to use the cpap every night anyway. Unfortunately, that's not a cure for the problem!

6PtStar

Post by 6PtStar » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:27 pm

Rinsing with the NeilMed system helps. I use it about an hour and a half before I go to bed. It is natural for one side of your nose to close up but CPAP will still work as long as one side is open. The only alternative if it does not work is a full face mask which is not as much fun but it works. Most of us keep a full face mask around for times when we have a cold.

Jerry

I still play Cowboys and Bad Guys but now I use real bullets. CAS

ColoradoDreamer

Post by ColoradoDreamer » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:35 pm

You sound like you have symptoms that I use to have. I had blocked sinuses and infections. Very miserable when one has to deal with it year round.

You should get the Nasonex and start using it right away. I have used Nasonex for years and I have found it to be a miracle drug. My sinuses have been clear virtually year round since I've taken started taking it and have not had sinus infections since. In less than a week you should notice an improvement.

Be careful with using the decongestant nasal spray. It works pretty good at first but if used consistently one will find that their sinuses will be blocked worse than if they went without. This is from personal experience. Once the Nasonex takes effect you will have no need for this nasal spray.

The neti pot is effective in clearing the sinuses but not too good when they are totally blocked.

If you haven't already, you should invest in a full face mask for those nights where the best you can hope for is breathing through the mouth. I have done so and have had to use it 2 nights in the 1.5 years on CPAP. When I travel I always take it with me, just in case. Good to have on hand for colds and the flu too.

I agree with the Dr. to use the CPAP. It may not cure you of your allergies but it has to be good therapy to breath filtered air for 8 hours a day. I think it helps me especially in the summer. (Get the fine filters for your CPAP)

Hope you start breathing better soon.

Panhandler

Post by Panhandler » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:52 pm

All my life I've had allergy problems and stuffy nose and sinuses. The filtered and humidified air from my CPAP has helped a lot. I still get stuffy once in a while, and I use the NeilMed rinse when I do, along with a full face mask, if necessary.

I didn't find that the sample I got of Nasonex did a lot. I'll use a couple of benedryl at night if its really bad.

Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Kenv

Post by Kenv » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:35 am

Make your own Vitamin C nasal spray - it works!
http://www.vitamincfoundation.org/surefire.htm

Kenv

Post by Kenv » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:05 pm

This site gives more information about it
http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?IA= ... SPLAY=DESC

It recommends C in the form of Sodium Ascorbate because Ascorbic Acid stings when sprayed up the nose. Personally I find that Ascorbic Acid works better than Sodium Ascorbate and I overcome the problem of stinging by adding a very small amount of Bicarbonate of Soda (Baking Soda) which neutralises the acid.
I now use one quarter teaspoon of Ascorbic Acid to 50 mils water and about a third of a quarter teaspoon of Baking Soda. I make it fresh every 2nd day because it can go off over time.
It works!

roster

Post by roster » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:17 pm

My suggestions:

viewtopic.php?p=160144#160144

If this is a chronic condition, see an allergist and get tested.

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

darthlucy

Post by darthlucy » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:42 pm

The three things that help me the most are the NeilMed sinus rinse, my full face mask (otherwise I get claustrophobic and lay awake worrying that my sinuses are going to block up while I sleep and I won't be able to breath), and the PurSleep Clear oil.

Joined the Hosehead Brigade on June 22, 2007

socknitster

Post by socknitster » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:36 pm

Get a neti pot ($10-15) and rinse every day. I used to get sinus infections year round and also had bowel problems and finally discovered that can be a food allergy. Milk (my food allergy) is especially known to thicken upper respiratory secretions. When I eliminated milk the sinus infections went away. Any time I get a cold or just feel a little too mucousy I rinse with the neti pot. It mechanically washes away irritants and mucous and makes it possible to breath a lot easier. I can shorten the duration and severity of a cold by a whole lot and prevent the inevitable secondary sinus infection by rinsing several times a day when I'm really congested.

BTW, if you decide to look into food allergies, a typical allergist may not be trained to look in all the possible places. A skin test does not usually show food allergies. It was my ENT doctor who revealed this possiblity to me and helped me through the diagnosis.

Also, milk is the number one adult onset food allergy, followed by soy and nuts I believe. If your symptoms are year round I would look into it. It can be hard to eliminate it if you eat a lot of processed foods. Milk in the form of whey, casein and nofat dry milk are present in most processed foods except those found in the health food store. You learn to read labels. I was a milk addict, consuming probably 5-6 servings or more a day. It was hard to give up, but after 2 weeks I felt so much better overall and then after a while I didn't miss it anymore. I use rice milk, coconut milk and sorbet and mayo as my creamy substitutes in cooking etc.

jen

Dgrendahl

Re: What to do with blocked sinuses due to cold/sinus infect

Post by Dgrendahl » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:28 am

[quote="rachie"]I have chronic sinus problems from allergies, mainly, and often get totally or partially blocked sinuses. There's also the same problem with colds, and I get chronic sinus infections as well.

When my sinuses are blocked and/or inflamed like this, it is painful to use my cpap.

Any tips for how to deal with this? Anyone else have this problem? The doctor suggested using a decongestant nasal spray, and gave me a prescription for Nasonex...and also said to use the cpap every night anyway. Unfortunately, that's not a cure for the problem!

If you gave George Bush an enema, he could be buried in a matchbox.

Someone...please, do it!

dllfo

Post by dllfo » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:23 pm

I use Nasonex and Astelin. Afrin is great for once in awhile, but dries out most noses.

I also have tried a warm air humidifier. Mixed results.

Lately, I have had severe nasal congestion, so I tried menthol products with minimal success, so I blow my nose two or three times, then, when I can breathe I put my mask on and try to go to sleep. After I am asleep everything seems to work ok.

I would guess there are as many "cures" as their are people. Good luck with it.

Installing Software is like pushing a rope uphill.
I have Encore Pro 1.8.65 but could not find it listed
under software.

I LOVE the SV.

jpg

Post by jpg » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:01 pm

My main defenses that work the most for me are Singulair, Nasonex, and heated humidifier. Other than that, whatever it takes to get the air flowing; over the counter Loratidine type allergy pills for seasonal allergies or whenever the air quality gets bad; an occasional use of the Neti pot; and when needed, a single shot of afrin type spray.

Whenever I start feeling a cold or flu come on, I take Mucinex to keep things moving. Good luck!