Angry, grumpy, agitated, and irritable

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
SleepGuy

Post by SleepGuy » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:09 pm

I don't really believe in "sleep debt"--or at least my personal version is that untreated OSA wreakes havoc on the human mind, body, spirit. It's not just about chronic sleep deprivation, which is bad enough. It's what happens when your body is literally suffocating for 6-8 hours in every 24 hour period.

Some of that damage is reversible (like the benefits of normal sleep patterns). Some of that damage is not reversible (like Type II diabetes). And a lot of that damage falls somewhere in the middle. Your body has been forced to deal with years of oxygen deprivation, panic hormones, and everything else that happens when you're being somthered in your sleep. It can take weeks, months, years to recover from all of that.

So, you're certainly NOT alone in this. The best you can do is keep up your therapy as best you can and get as much healing as you can but without comparing yourself to others or expecting miracles after a few weeks or even months. But whatever you do, don't give up on your therapy (or be too hard on yourself!).
Try the Scented CPAP Mask with Pur-Sleep's CPAP Aromatherapy--CPAP Diffuser and Essential Oils.
"Love it, Love it, Love my PurSleep!"

dieselgal

Post by dieselgal » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:06 pm

When I saw the heading I thought it was for me!
Actually in general I come across as a funny nut but in truth I am tired a lot and still not sleeping great. I have been on CPAP now for 10 months and have a love hate relationship. When I sleep well it is wonderful but I still have my nights where nothing makes me happy. The mask irritates me, I keep getting leaks, I am flopping back and forth and those are the nights I can be a real HEIFER!
I don't know that there is a perfect mask or that I will ever be really happy with my sleep habits, but I do know I am better with CPAP and I wouldn't want to go back to the way I was before.

Guest 1

Mood Swings

Post by Guest 1 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:09 pm

I can defiantly relate to the mood swings. I'm 6 months into CPAP therapy and " WOW", what a difference in my mood. I believe I was dealing with severe apnea ( 42 apneas per hr ) for 2 years before I was diagnosed.. I have been complaining to several Doctor's about sleeping problem's, anxiety, anger, and severe mood swings. All but one doctor wanted to give me antidepressants. He ordered a in home sleep device from the sleep center that you take home for one night and drop back off the following day.. At my next Doctor appointment he indicated that the device indicated that there was a possible breathing problem.. Sure enough, my overnight sleep study results resulted in severe sleep apnea.. I am so thankful that this doctor new what he was doing. I did not believe he was on the right track at all. I do not even snore, why would I think I would have this problem.. This therapy virtually eliminated all my symptoms..

Hunter1

Post by Hunter1 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:50 pm

I am sorry and yet glad to hear I am not alone on this issue. Are any of you taking steps to over come the mood swings, anger, etc? If so what are you doing that may help us who suffer from sometimes out of control mood swings.

I am also interested to know if there are people out there who have a sleep disorder but little or no mood swings.

I believe this subject needs to be addressed. Do not see this topic discussedvery often on this site.

Hunter1

JeffH

Post by JeffH » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:34 pm

Hunter1 wrote:I am sorry and yet glad to hear I am not alone on this issue. Are any of you taking steps to over come the mood swings, anger, etc? If so what are you doing that may help us who suffer from sometimes out of control mood swings.

I am also interested to know if there are people out there who have a sleep disorder but little or no mood swings.

I believe this subject needs to be addressed. Do not see this topic discussedvery often on this site.

Hunter1
Had your blood sugar checked lately?

Hunter1

Post by Hunter1 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:13 pm

Yes. Everything fine.

ZZZzzz

Post by ZZZzzz » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:47 pm

That sure sums me up.

It scares me to think that I'm morphing into my dad!

-Bev
Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regrets; for I am far surer of what is kind, than I am of what is true.