trazodone

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
FLIGHTYONE

trazodone

Post by FLIGHTYONE » Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:53 am

anyone on here taking trazodone, and if so what do you think about it, it is a sleeping and anxiety medicine and it is making me feel drunk for a better word and I take it 12 hours ago and I still feel groggy

sleepycarol

Post by sleepycarol » Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:20 am

I have never taken it but did look up trazodone on the web.

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/traz_ad.htm

I have posted a link to the common side effects of it. Does the doc know you have sleep apnea -- one of the rare side effects is that it may cause apneas so am wondering if it could be doing the same to you even with treatment.
Start Date: 8/30/2007 Pressure 9 - 15
I am not a doctor or other health care professional. Comments reflect my own personal experiences and opinions.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:40 pm

Back in the 90's a sleep neurologist scripted Trazadone for me for sleep. Ha! My first "out of body experience"!! Higher than a kite, tingling, a real buzz. And that was at 1/2 the low sleep dose!!!

Do you have anxiety or depression problems? If not, if the Trazadone is "just" for sleep, I'd toss it in the trash and go w/a med specifically aimed at sleep problems such as Ambien or even Lunesta (leaves a HORRIBLE taste in your mouth!!! blech!). At least Ambien gets me 4 hours sleep. Haven't tried Ambien CR.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:54 am

I was given trazadone years ago as a remedy for 'grief reaction' when I tried to quit smoking. Within less than 10 days I was waking up at night having a hard time breathing (congested, etc.) and so stopped taking it. This was long before apnea was diagnosed, BTW.

ZZZzzz

Post by ZZZzzz » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:01 am

Trazadone made me more dizzy then sleepy.

On my bad nights - Ambien is the right drug for me.

-Bev
Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regrets; for I am far surer of what is kind, than I am of what is true.

Joel Adams

Post by Joel Adams » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:45 am

I give my son 1/2 a 25mg trazodone tablet every night.
He is 6, has ADHD, and may have a light form of autism.
( He is Ritilin's posted child!)
W/O the trazodone he would sleep only about 3 hrs per night.
With this drug he sleeps 7 to 8, and I have seen no problems in the daytime.

His doc says this drug is preferable to a dedicated sleep med because it does not remain in the body for long, and is not habit forming, the best choice for long term use.

Of course, your mileage may vary..........