Rainouts during warm weather - is this normal?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
G00fy217

Rainouts during warm weather - is this normal?

Post by G00fy217 » Tue May 17, 2005 7:25 am

Ok, I have a question (see above) for all you experienced users..... I have found that when it is warm out (not that it is currently, but we did get a few days of 80 degree weather... waiting for more)but anyways.... when it was warm out and I used the heat on my humidifier, I would get rainout in my mask.... why is it? If I just use the mask without the heat on... I am fine!! Actually, I hate using the heat..... it seems to either bother me to the point that I get too hot and have to tear my covers off of the bed & me or it seems to cause too much of the "rainout" in my mask!

Does anyone else find this to be a problem as well?
Laughter never killed anyone..... Go ahead, laugh! It's good for you!! ;-)

Niteair

Post by Niteair » Tue May 17, 2005 10:17 am

You don't have to use the heater, in fact some people prefer to just use the heated humidifier as a passover humidifier. Using the heater just enables the unit to put more moisture into the air. Air will only hold a certain amount of water at a certain temperature, below that temperature the water will condense out. The further away from your machine you go the cooler the air becomes and eventually the water falls out. In the winter months, the air surrounding your hose is cool enough so that the water will condense out much sooner. Personally I prefer a more moist air, so I just turn down the humidifier temp. to a point where the rainout stops.