Changing my Settings

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Lee Lee

Changing my Settings

Post by Lee Lee » Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:43 am

I am now armed and dangerous! I got the software for my machine, and I then set about trying to figure out why my AHI was getting higher, (above 7). I think I figured out that the changing pressure on my machine was causing the Hypos.
So, I want to change to straight CPAP with EPR. I know how to get in to the clinicians menu, but I have some questions.
One of the settings is Pressure on or off, don't exactly know what that means.
There's a setting that says "start cpap" . I'm guessing this is the ramp pressure?
There's a "smartstart" setting, not sure what that is.
Also, I know what EPR is, but don't understand the difference between 1, 2 and 3.
Then lastly, what is "Useage" ans hould it be on or off?
Also, should I set it at my titrated pressure, or my average pressure, (which is not the same exactly)?
Is there anybody out there that knows the answer to all this? I would be very grateful for some help.
Lee Ann

RiverDave

Post by RiverDave » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:10 am

Lee Ann,

"Pressure" just refers to displaying your pressure on the LCD screen. I would leave it on.

Not sure what "start cpap" refers to.

"Smartstart" is a feature that automatically starts the machine when you put your mask on and begin to breathe.

EPR settings are 0 = off, 1= lowest, 2 middle, and 3 = highest pressure relief

"Useage" allows you to see how long you use the machine each night and/or how many days you have used the machine. Again, I would leave it on.

As for your pressure setting, if your titrated pressure and "average" pressure are similar, I would pick one and try it for a while and see if your AHI drops. If it does, leave it, if it doesn't, try the other one.

Good Luck,

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:51 pm

Riverdave,
Thanks for the help.
I can't actually figure out where to change the pressure in CPAP mode. I'm a pro changing it in APAP mode. I suppose the "start cpap" is where you change it. (which is in the settings menu).
I'll give it a whirl.
However, I tried that last night, and when I woke up, my smart card and my machine display said that the pressure was 8, which is too low for me.
However, the good news is that my AHI's were below 5 for the first time in a while, so perhaps my theory that the pressure changes while in APAP mode were causing them. I did have some apnea events, though.
Hopefully, I will find out tonight.
Thanks again,
Lee Ann

RiverDave

Post by RiverDave » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:22 pm

Lee Ann,

I don't use the machine in CPAP mode, but it looks like you change the pressure in the settings menu at the screen that says "max pressure" (the one right after "start cpap"). It could be that "start cpap" is the initial pressure the machine would start at if you were to use the ramp feature, but that is a guess on my part.

Hopefully others here can confirm this, i.e. Slinky.

Good Luck,

echo

Post by echo » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:25 pm

Could be that Central apneas or Mixed/complex apneas are occurring - they can tend to be brought on by higher pressures. Well that's how my doc explained it to me.

She put me on a pressure of 7 to start out with, because higher pressures were inducing central apneas during the APA titration... Now I'm at 10, but if I go to 10.5 or 11 I can feel them happening (as I drift off to sleep).

Though the software can't necessarily separate a central event from an obstructive one, the software's the only way to know what's happening at different pressures!! Good luck

Lee Lee

Post by Lee Lee » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:53 am

Well, after 2 years of being in denial, I found out that , for ME, CPAP works better than APAP . I always thought fancier and the more technology, the better.
After sucessfully changing the settings and pressure (thanks,Riverdave), I had an AHI and HI of 2 for the first time ever,down from 7 on the APAP.
And I feel great today!
Also, my GERD is better today, too. Hmmmm. I though the GERD was causing the hypos, but maybe it's the other way around.
So, for those who have wondered, you may want to give it a try.

Nodzy

Post by Nodzy » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:08 am

Lee Lee wrote:Well, after 2 years of being in denial, I found out that , for ME, CPAP works better than APAP . I always thought fancier and the more technology, the better.
After sucessfully changing the settings and pressure (thanks,Riverdave), I had an AHI and HI of 2 for the first time ever,down from 7 on the APAP.
And I feel great today!
Also, my GERD is better today, too. Hmmmm. I though the GERD was causing the hypos, but maybe it's the other way around. So, for those who have wondered, you may want to give it a try.
Lee Lee,

Oddly, OSA or other sleep disorders can seemingly cause GERD, but it's usually present in a really minor way and gets brought to the forefront by sleep disorders. And GERD can also cause or exacerbate the things that cause the AHI's to run higher.

powerpenguin

CPAP Settings -

Post by powerpenguin » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:03 pm

Are you people complete morons??? A pressure setting is a prescription -- JUST like a medication. There is a reason you're set at 5cm ot 15cm, there's a clinical reason. Arbitrarily changing your pressures is comparable to adjusting your Lithium medication.

neversleeps

Re: CPAP Settings -

Post by neversleeps » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:22 pm

powerpenguin wrote:Are you people complete morons??? A pressure setting is a prescription -- JUST like a medication. There is a reason you're set at 5cm ot 15cm, there's a clinical reason. Arbitrarily changing your pressures is comparable to adjusting your Lithium medication.
And apparently your dosage could stand to be increased....

Wulfman...

Re: CPAP Settings -

Post by Wulfman... » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:56 pm

powerpenguin wrote:Are you people complete morons??? A pressure setting is a prescription -- JUST like a medication. There is a reason you're set at 5cm ot 15cm, there's a clinical reason. Arbitrarily changing your pressures is comparable to adjusting your Lithium medication.
I don't know what thread you're reading, but nobody on this one posted that they had their range set to that.

It's ONLY AIR.......

But.....any doctor who would prescribe a pressure range like that is either a moron or didn't get a decent titration in a sleep study and should have only used it for a relatively short period of time till a better pressure (or range) could be ascertained.

There are about 3 years of postings here, so just keep reading......read about all of the folks who were mis-diagnosed, mis-prescribed and mis-treated by their "medical professionals".......too many of whom ARE "morons".

Den

jqp

Post by jqp » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:02 pm

Yeah, it's a prescription guessed at by a doctor after reading a report written by a tech who watched you sleep for one or two hours.

Using data collected over several weeks of full nights rest to make minor controlled changes and monitor the outcome seems much less moronic than trusting that the prescription you got was "perfect."

Doctors are people too... they do the best they can with with the information they have at hand. A good doctor will listen to additional information given to him by the patient (given the patient has a clue)

TXKajun

Post by TXKajun » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:26 am

Lee Lee, you've just found out what several of us have stumbled across....that straight CPAP works better for us than APAP. Ain't it great having a machine that can do "double duty"?? LOL

I found that I alternate between APAP and CPAP. I judge by how good I feel as well as reading my AHIs and tracking my pressures.

Good luck!

Kajun

Moby

Post by Moby » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:28 am

I've spent a couple of hours going through the Searches here on Cpaptalk.
only to find Lee Lee has asked the exact same question I have!

I too changed from APAP to CPAP recently.

I am confused about the settings too. I used to have my Auto set at 9.8 to 14 and had 90th percentile pressure of 12.8 usually.

On CPAP the machine asked me for a "Start Cpap" pressure and a "CPAP pressure" as well as an EPR setting. I went for 12.4 to 14 and an EPR of 3.

My 90th percentile is usually 12.4 - 12.8.

My AI is low, 2 or 3 so it is obviously working for me.

I just don't understand why it wants two CPAP pressures - even with the Ramp feature turned off.

PS LeeLee how's the tingly fingers? I think it has something to do with the CO2 - I've noticed when I wake up with tingly fingers I have the covers over the mask vents. Have just bought a heated hose, hope that will help keep my nose outside the blankets!

Just thought, if a non-hoser read this they wouldn't understand a word

"I'll get by with a little help from my friends" - The Beatles

Lee Lee

Post by Lee Lee » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:46 pm

Gosh, I'm still reeling from being called a moron! I don't think that's ever actually happened to me!
OK, shake it off. Thanks, Den for your excellent reply to the person that thinks we are morons. Morons that are smart enough to figure out how to use our resources to improve out therapy and feel better!
TXKajun, I also alternate between the two, and heck yeah, I love the "double duty" machine!
Moby, tingly fingers are all gone, thanks for remembering.
Y'all are great!

Lee Ann