Ouch! Sores in nose due to Swift?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
NeedinZs

Ouch! Sores in nose due to Swift?

Post by NeedinZs » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:18 am

O.K. I need some help here. Surprise, surprise!

I started about 5 nights ago on the Swift, which I LOVE, best fitted mask for me that I've found. A couple mornings ago I woke up with what felt like a bruised feeling inside only one of my nostrils, like maybe I layed on the mask for too long in one position, with the mask pillow pushing in one spot up my nose too long.
Then I noticed I had a sore on the end of my nose, right where the pillow rests. Now, as of last night, I feel like I have a sore inside a good bit of my inner nostril, with burning. Had to get up in the middle of the night, from the burning irritation, and switch to my old mask, too not get such a direct flow of air shooting up there.

I tried putting a little Neosporin up there with a Q-tip.
I'm interested to know who else has experienced this, and any suggestions to heal myself up, so that I can stay with the Swift, if possible.

It's the only mask I've been able to stay sealed as my pressure goes up on my Auto.

Also, I might mention I've been using Ponaris Oil nightly, prescribed by my ENT for dryness, which seems to REALLY have helped with the dryness, but now am thinking maybe it is irritating with the mask pillow against my skin.

Thanks for any help.

tillymarigold

Post by tillymarigold » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:49 am

I had that problem with my ComfortLite 2 and I did what you did, putting Neosporin on it in the morning and again in the afternoon (not at night so it didn't get on the mask). The good news is it healed enough that I was able to keep using it, the bad news is the sore never went away completely until I changed masks (about 6 weeks later).

I also got the sore just under my nose from the Hybrid and I just wore it with a tiny Band-Aid (one of the "spot" ones trimmed to be a bit smaller) over the sore for a few nights and then it went away, but that wasn't inside my nose.

LonnieMc

Post by LonnieMc » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:59 am

I use the Swift II nasal mask, and a couple of times, I have noticed my nose sore the next morning. But I think that was because of the way I sleep. No sores yet, just a little irritation on the very inside tip.

higgy

Post by higgy » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:05 pm

It sounds like you have the headgear to tight. I did this the first few nights with the mask and I had the same sore spot. I loosened the top strap to loose fit and have a snug fit on the strap that goes behind the head. I still get a great seal this way and the nose piece is not pulled up hard against your nose and lip. I find that very little pressure will still result in a good seal with this mask.

Play with the straps at different tensions, you will find what you like. After that I have had no problems at all.

Dane

NeedinZs

Post by NeedinZs » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:57 pm

Thank you all for the tips.

Higgy,

It looks like we have the same machine. Do you mind me asking what your max pressure is? I am curious to see if I will continue to keep a seal, as my other masks I've tried start blowing off my facewith 9.5 pressure. which doesn't seem all that high. This swift is the first one that has not done that. I'm hoping it's not just in it's "honeymoon" phase! (And I can get over the sore nostrils!)
I will try loosening the headgear and see what I can get away with.

Thanks so much!

higgy

Post by higgy » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:46 pm

I use my machine between 10 and 14. I have played with it as high as 16, just for curiosity. No leaks at any of those pressures.

It took me a good week of playing to find the exact headgear configuration, then just like a switch all fell into place and no soreness.

I have been using this mask for 4 months now with 100% compliance.

One thing the stupid strap adjusters on the head gear slip with time. Once I found the spot for me, and I was sure it worked over time, I stitched the straps so they would not move.

PM me if you want to talk about this.

Hurricane

Post by Hurricane » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:30 pm

[quote="NeedinZs"]Thank you all for the tips.

Higgy,

It looks like we have the same machine. Do you mind me asking what your max pressure is? I am curious to see if I will continue to keep a seal, as my other masks I've tried start blowing off my facewith 9.5 pressure. which doesn't seem all that high. This swift is the first one that has not done that. I'm hoping it's not just in it's "honeymoon" phase! (And I can get over the sore nostrils!)
I will try loosening the headgear and see what I can get away with.

Thanks so much!

jvoisin

Post by jvoisin » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:24 pm

I had the same issue when I first started using my swift. I got some secaris (nasal gel) and it helps alot.. i just put a little on each part that touches my nose.. no more sores.. and it helps it seal better as well....