Depression and CPAP, help needed !!!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Post by Guest » Sun May 01, 2005 4:51 pm

I found that keeping busy helped me. They say have a quiet time before going to bed. That never worked for me-- just the opposite. I did work that left me tired and usually that helped me get to sleep. Even now, I try to stay awake later at night so I can wake up later in the morning. Earlier I get to sleep, the earlier my few hours of sleep are done. I usually have the TV on low to give me something to think about until I fall asleep, instead of thinking of my loss. Never been through a Divorce, but through the loss of a Husband after a little over 50 yrs. Have helped my kids handle divorces, but thats not the same as going through it yourself.
Find things you enjoy doing and do them. The pride you get when it`s done can help you feel better about yourself. I spent the first three weeks painting a Mural that covered two 8 feet by four feet doors.- 8ft x 8ft Country painting. Did it with one of those 1/4 inch paint brushes- like come in kids paint by number kits. Had to concentrate on the painting todo a good job- left little time for feeling sorry for myself. So, do what can give you pride in yourself and remember that you are an important person. If you stay feeling down, you just let the other person win again.

Dot

Post by Dot » Sun May 01, 2005 5:14 pm

Anonymous wrote:I found that keeping busy helped me. They say have a quiet time before going to bed. That never worked for me-- just the opposite. I did work that left me tired and usually that helped me get to sleep. Even now, I try to stay awake later at night so I can wake up later in the morning. Earlier I get to sleep, the earlier my few hours of sleep are done. I usually have the TV on low to give me something to think about until I fall asleep, instead of thinking of my loss. Never been through a Divorce, but through the loss of a Husband after a little over 50 yrs. Have helped my kids handle divorces, but thats not the same as going through it yourself.
Find things you enjoy doing and do them. The pride you get when it`s done can help you feel better about yourself. I spent the first three weeks painting a Mural that covered two 8 feet by four feet doors.- 8ft x 8ft Country painting. Did it with one of those 1/4 inch paint brushes- like come in kids paint by number kits. Had to concentrate on the painting todo a good job- left little time for feeling sorry for myself. So, do what can give you pride in yourself and remember that you are an important person. If you stay feeling down, you just let the other person win again.

neversleeps

Post by neversleeps » Sun May 01, 2005 6:39 pm

I should probably just let this go, but the previous post by DOT is something I find I must respond to.

I don't mean to be a killjoy, but when in the throes of depression, I am completely incapable of finding things I enjoy, much less doing them. Also, the last thing I would be able to do is stare at an 8'x8' blank space and do some creative painting. I'm lucky if I can simply get out of bed and take a shower!

The theory of staying busy to avoid feeling sorry for yourself is logical and admirable. Such advice is somewhat akin to telling a person to, "Shake it off; pull yourself up by your bootstraps; try to deal with this in a professional and unemotional manner, (that was my dad's advice!); don't be so selfish." It is my personal experience that clinical depression is not about 'feeling sorry for yourself'. It is about trying to survive when you cannot, for the life of you, think of a reason that you'd want to.

Night Owl

Post by Night Owl » Sun May 01, 2005 7:11 pm

I also should probably let this go, but -- Dot and neversleeps IMHO are both giving snamvar part of what is needed when someone is depressed whether it is a clinical depression or not -- an ear, and knowing you matter. Whether one responder needs the aid of meds and another finds activities help is why this forum works so well.

snamvar

Post by snamvar » Sun May 01, 2005 7:21 pm

I must say that what has really helped me this time is knowing more about myself and depression. How I think, how I feel and what I do affect each other greatly. When you are depressed, it is difficult to think positively, therefore you don't do much and you feel more depressed and the cycle goes on. What you do for yourself could be painting, taking a walk, talking to a friend, gardening or anything that makes you feel better.
Depression comes and goes or at times stays for a long time. I think waiting it out is important, but keeping too busy could be avoidance and might cause it to linger around longer.
Sorry to be so long winded, but I really feel that dealing with depression is an art and each individual needs to find out what is working for them.
Best wishes.
I don't do mornings !!!

snamvar

Post by snamvar » Sun May 01, 2005 7:24 pm

Well said Night Owl. I was once told that being there for someone who is depressed is the best thing you can do for them.
Thanks you for being here for me. God bless.
I don't do mornings !!!

neversleeps

Post by neversleeps » Sun May 01, 2005 7:38 pm

snamvar and Night Owl,

Your gentle, gracious diplomacy is greatly appreciated. I spoke from my own experience which obviously is entirely different from someone elses.

I sincerely thank you for toning down my remarks with your own!

CI_SeaWolf

Post by CI_SeaWolf » Sun May 01, 2005 8:28 pm

Neversleeps, I've found that for me, a little exercise can help with my depression. Even if it is a 20 minute walk, I feel a little better. Good luck and keep on keeping on....

LDuyer

Post by LDuyer » Sun May 01, 2005 8:43 pm

I don't know if any of you have read Liam's writing about depression.
If you click on his name, it takes you to his blog, and at the bottom of the list of funny writings is his story describing his lifelong depression.

As was said above, everyone's depression seems to be a little different. But you might find his article interesting, even if it is no help to you. I have to admit, it made me a little uncomfortable reading it. Some of it is scary if you haven't experienced quite the same thing. But then I remembered how the important thing for Liam was in expressing it, describing what he went through ..... not unlike what all of you are doing.

My depression was not lifelong, more developing as my sleep apnea got worse and worse. Experiencing job layoffs and fear over living alone made it worse. The depression existed, and I didn't even realize it. Now, treatment has replaced depression with a host of other problems, like being overly emotional (like having PMS 24/7). So like you all, this forum is a wonderful outlet and a means of sharing and knowing many of us are going through some of the same things.

Linda

neversleeps

Post by neversleeps » Sun May 01, 2005 9:57 pm

Linda,

Thank you so much for referring us to Liam's essay on depression. Through his brilliant use of language and uncanny insight into human emotion, he manages to explain the unfathomable depths of despair and pain felt by one who suffers from this disease. Frankly, until I read his piece, I thought 'depression' defied explanation.

Liam, it is pure genius.

LDuyer

Post by LDuyer » Mon May 02, 2005 2:36 am

Neversleeps,

Yes, Liam's piece was great, intriguing.

What had startled me at first was his description of suicidal thoughts. I had read this very early on, not long after he started posting to the forum. I don't know about other people, but as for me, when I read stuff from an individual about suicide, my first reaction is alarm, worried that it might be some sort of immediate cry for help. There's an urge to get alarmed and pester with questions, like "Do you really mean it? Are you thinking of suicide now?!?" But his writing is great, and it takes a lot of guts to write about suicidal thoughts. Only clinicians or doctors have described suicide, that I've read. Reading it from someone who has experienced those feelings first hand makes it much more understandable to the ordinary person who doesn't experience this. You don't often read about the subject described in true human terms. I'm glad you liked it as I did.

Linda

Liam1965

Post by Liam1965 » Mon May 02, 2005 6:46 am

Thank you so much for the kind words on my essay.

I'm glad it helps. I wrote it originally for Janet (my wife), so she could better understand what depression meant for me.

She liked it so much, she suggested I get it published, which I would do if I knew what magazine might want to publish such a thing.

But really, if you find it interesting or useful, feel free to pass it around (either the link or just print it out).

I love the idea that my essay may be both helping depressives know they're not alone, and relatives and friends of depressives understand a bit better what the depressive is going through.

Thanks for the great feedback!

Liam, how can he possibly be depressed when people say such nice things about his essays?

tomjax

apnea and depression

Post by tomjax » Mon May 02, 2005 10:07 am

Lots on the table in this string.

Several thoughts. First, I think there is a clear distinction between clinical depression and the various setbacks and trauma of divorce. They are not the same and the approach to dealing with them is diferent.

As a twice divorced pharamacist with other major road bumps in life, including losing my pharmacy license due to a shrinks opinion that I was addicted to narcotics and alcohol dependent, when all I had was sleep apnea.

I strongly think that the Ambien and Lunesta and other type sleep aids should be avoided. They usually only make things worse. Read the package insert. ONLY FOR SHORT TERM INSOMNIA. I know of many horror ambien etc stories.

I am coming off Prozac after about 14+ years and feel little difference.

Wish you well

neversleeps

Post by neversleeps » Mon May 02, 2005 12:43 pm

tomjax,

Do you think the reason you feel little difference after weaning off Prozac is because your neurotransmitters are functioning properly and the Prozac is unnecessary?

Or do you think after 14 years on the same med, it was no longer effective for you so, in essence it's like you haven't been taking it for a long time anyway?

I'm currently on 225mg Effexor XR and 300mg Wellbutrin XL daily. Doc wanted to hit my norepinephrine really hard. I still have absolutely no energy, and can hardly wait for my sinus infection to clear up so I can get going on my APAP. Wouldn't it be grand if eliminating sleep deprivation also eliminated depression?!?!

I'm sorry to read of all the 'major road bumps' in your life. You must be a very strong person to have survived it all! I wish you well.

snamvar

Post by snamvar » Mon May 02, 2005 4:27 pm

I feel so blessed to be here with you folks. It's is amazing as how much sharing can help, specially is a place where others can understand and relate to it.
I come from a culture which is shame-based. We were thaught about how bad and awful divorce is and not to ever talk to anyone about depression.
I think that expressing yourself is a big part of dealing with any difficult situation or experience.
I also have said before that as a career computer programmer, I have not seen a better use of computers than a forum like this. There is no judgement
Of the 5 major depressive episodes I have had in my life, the one I got when I was 18 years old was the worst. Not knowing and having depression is the worst thing. It affected my self esteem so much.
Depression is something that needs to be dealt with in every and all possible ways. Medication is a big help, but is not the whole answer.
Take care of yourselves.
I don't do mornings !!!