I had the surgery !!!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
snamvar

I had the surgery !!!

Post by snamvar » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:01 am

I have not read or posted here for a long long time, but this forum was a great source of information and support group when I was using CPAP. I was diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea 4 years ago and started using CPAP about 3 years ago. I have had insomnia for the past 22 years which I have been taking sleeping med for it. I tried CPAP switching to auto with different masks/nasal gears, but found it impossible to go to sleep.

After a lot of frustration, I eventually bit the bullet and had the UPPP surgery last february. They fixed my deviated septom (sp?), trimmed the tirbunates (sp?), removed my tonsils, trimmed the uvula, and trimmed soft tissue from the back of my throat. It is a very painful surgery and took about 3 weeks to recover. I could not even swallow my saliva without a lot of pain, but the pain med helped a lot. Initially the sense of taste and smell was totally gone. This was scary as I really enjoy those senses, but they have gradually come back to 80% of what they used to be after 6 months. I have lost 10 pounds which is probably good. My worst complain is I feel something stuck to the back of my throat and extreme dryness in my nose and back of the throat. I do use nasal saline solutions, but still a lot of dryness. My doc told me that trimming the tirbunates (sp?) in my nose has cleared the way for a lot of air to get through my nose (which previously was almost none) and my nose can not humidify it, so I get the dry nose and back of the throat. He also suggested some foam nasal plugs to reduce the airflow. The dryness of the back of the throat is worst. I sometimes get the gag reflex and wish I had not done the surgery. As far as the OSA, I have not gone for the follow up sleep test to find out the actual result.

I am wondering if others who have had surgery have the same side effects as I have. I definitely recommend for all with OSA to exhaust the CPAP option before even considering the surgery. I also know that the surgery success rate is low and there are varying side effects.

I just wanted to share my experience with you all after I had got so much help and support from this forum. All the best

I don't do mornings !!!

SanDigital

Re: I had the surgery !!!

Post by SanDigital » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:40 am

snamvar wrote:He also suggested some foam nasal plugs to reduce the airflow.
How awful...isn't the purpose of the surgery to increase airflow?

Thank you for posting your experience though. Luckily, I have been able to use my cpap every night, all night since the very first day, but I have still wondered about the surgery for the convenience of not having to be so reliant upon a machine. It sounds like it is far from perfect...

San Digital - The Patron Saint of Funk

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:45 am

did you have the follow-up PSG to determine if all that surgery cured you of your OSA?

That will tell you if your UPPP was successful or not. Most find out they still have OSA and the UPPP made it worse, only problem now is your Uvula may be gone, the soft palate trimmed where it no longer makes a seal at the base of the tongue, then you are stuck using CPAP and a Full Face mask the rest of your days because you can't stop mouth breathing.

someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

CowboyDave

Post by CowboyDave » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:14 am

I also had the full UPPP done in 2000. It worked for a couple of years but here I am on cpap. I went through all that pain and suffering for nothing. I hope yours works better than mine.

Good luck

ozij

Post by ozij » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:20 am

snamvar!!!
It's good to hear from you, though I wish your news was better. You were there when I started, and you're the person I have to thing for nasal rinsing, since you pointed out the site with the video.

How's your sleep - subjectively?

That foam plugs idea is hair raising!

Here's to hoping you'll feel better -- and thanks for updating us all.

O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:11 pm

Hi,
I have not had the follow up test to determine the OSA and how it has progressed after the surgery. I also can breath very comfortably with my mouth closed as my nose is clear and get a lot of air flow.
Thanks ozij for the nice reply. I still use the nasal rinsing to alleviates the dry sinuses. I feel my sleep is much better than it used to be and I get up refreshed.

snamvar

Post by snamvar » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:13 pm

Sorry, that was me.
I don't do mornings !!!

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:17 pm

snamvar, I remember you well. Hope things get much better for you. Thank you for coming back to post your update.

Will be wishing all things good for you!
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

snamvar

Post by snamvar » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:31 pm

hi rested gal,

It's good to hear from you (and see your picture too) It's good to see some CPAP gurus still lurking around and share their valuable experience.

I hope all is good with you. Best wishes

I don't do mornings !!!

DoodleAbby

Post by DoodleAbby » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:10 am

Hi there!
I am new to the board, but I just read that you had this done. My DH had this done in 98 and he wishes that he never had it done. He is a musician and had to retrain his vocals and such. He is always chocking on stuff, food or drink. I got him to go in to see the Dr. that did the surgery (or recommended it) and he said that unfortanitly this aren't as good as the had hoped they would be. The success rate was WAY lower than they expected. At the time they were pushing this big time as a way to stop the snoring... didn't work... DH is not a happy camper...

Bonnie