help!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sleepytrucker

help!

Post by sleepytrucker » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:02 am

Just got my first CPAP device (for those of you who care, it's an Invacare Polaris EX with SoftX and heated humidifier), and i haven't been able to sleep with the darned thing on. My sleep study was a trainwreck, but they seemed to feel that it provided enough info for them to prescribe CPAP. The sleep tech was unbelievably patient, and she told me to expect that it would take about a month to get used to using the device. I've only had it three nights now, but i'm ready to take a hammer to the thing.

Help! At about 2am, i give up, take the thing off, and go to sleep. I'm a truck driver, and being sleepy at the wheel of 80 thousand pounds of who-knows-what isn't an option.

Any suggestions?

sleepytrucker

TXKajun

Post by TXKajun » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:32 am

Welcome aboard, sleepytrucker! And, yes, we care about brand, humidifier, mask type, etc! Also, if you would be so kind as to give the pressure that was prescribed, that will help.

Hopefully you've taken time to read a bunch of the posts here on the board and have realized you are NOT alone!! Strapping ourselves to this outrageous machine every night, going through the traumatic "sleep disorder clinic" trials and tribulations, feeling 4/3rds asleep almost all the time and the rest of the indignities is something we have all experienced. But, as a word or 3 of encouragement: HANG IN THERE!! It WILL get better!

We have lots of folks who are very knowledgeable about this stuff and are very helpful.

One thing you might want to consider is to try getting onto an APAP machine such as a Goodknight 420E (the one I use) or a Remstar with c-flex (a favorite of several others here). They provide a kind of graduated therapy, gauged by what your body needs, rather than a single pressure.

As for getting relief, it isn't an instant thing. You probably don't want to hear this, but it may take anywhere from a couple of weeks to a few months for you to start feeling better. One thing is for sure, though....if you don't use the CPAP, it isn't going to be able to help!

For me, I found that after about a week and a half, I was feeling more alert, my mood and attitude had improved and I was getting used to sleeping with my new "best friend"....I use the UltraMirage Full Face Mask and heated humidifier with my 420E.

So, hang in there, come back to the board and let us know what's going on. This is a great place to vent, to make friends and to gather some invaluable information. Drive safely, big guy!

This therapy WORKS!! Stick with it!

LDuyer

Post by LDuyer » Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:26 am

Sleeptrucker,

Hopefully you'll find the right machine and mask for you.
And hopefully you'll get used to it in time.

But in the meantime, how long have you been able to use it? A couple of hours, maybe?

If it does seem intolerable but you can manage a two-hour stint with it at least once during your sleep, I'd say go with that. It may be better to have a night with two hours of treatment than a whole night without any. Even if you sleep with it for two hours and switch to sleeping without, try it that way. Notice if you see any difference, no matter how small. You just might see an improvement even at an early stage.

Good luck, and don't give up!

Linda

liz4cps

don't give up!

Post by liz4cps » Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:47 am

What specific problems are you having?

I can relate to the frustration -- I waited for months to get my first cpap and wanted so badly to sleep well. When I got it, the mask fit terribly and leaked all over the place. If I moved at all, the mask went crooked. I threw the mask across the room that first night!

But, I got a new mask and worked out other kinks and really did get better. So, there is hope, and it can take a while to get used to sleeping with the machine and to get a good set up.

There are now lots of masks on the market. You may need to talk to your home health equipment provider and ask them to let you try on different masks to get something that fits well. I use what's called "nasal pillows" which a lot of people like. (I have the "Adams circuit" version; more recently, they come in the form of "The Breeze".)

Hope you can get something that works soon!
On cpap/autopap for 8 years now...

- Liz

sleepytrucker

thanks for the encouragement

Post by sleepytrucker » Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:00 pm

liz4cps said:

"I can relate to the frustration -- I waited for months to get my first cpap and wanted so badly to sleep well. When I got it, the mask fit terribly and leaked all over the place. If I moved at all, the mask went crooked. I threw the mask across the room that first night! "

I reply: Right on, sistah! Been waiting weeks to get into this thing, i am ready to sleep for crying out loud, and just lay there and feel miserable until i give up and take the darned thing off.

TXKajun: umm, not sure about the mask, it covers the nose only (the full face type induces instant drowning/suffocation response -- !!!??? ---). Luckily the provider is letting me test drive the whole mess for a few days until i figure out how to get a positive response.

The pressure is set at 7 (whatever the measurement for this stuff is) and the provider told me i'm lucky that i respond to such a low pressure. It starts at a lower pressure then slowly climbs to full pressure over 20 minutes time.

LDuyer: I strap it on, lay awake for a couple of hours, rip it off, then pass out.

I'm starting to understand the statement on the cover of the literature that came with the machine: "Yes, you can". What seemed at first to be almost a non-sequitur now is revealed as an affirmation. If all of these other folks can do it, i can too.

Conversely, i'm starting to wonder if all of our recent spree-killers aren't in fact people who can't figure out how to sleep with a CPAP machine, and they're just acting out.

many thanks,
ST

Janelle

Post by Janelle » Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:42 pm

ST, I think too many people go into CPAP therapy with the idea that it is an option, when actually it is the ONLY sure fire way to treat Sleep Apnea. The surgeries are short term success, and the dental appliances work for very few. And you will still end up on CPAP. So, tell yourself this is something you HAVE to get used to. There is only one alternative....death. Blunt, yes, but it is quite true.

If you don't get the sleep you need, drive that 18 wheeler and fall asleep, you will most likely die and so will possibly many others. It is your responsibility to succeed at this treatment.

Sleep Apnea also stresses the heart, causing high blood pressure, stroke and heart attacks usually during the night, instead of daytime like "normal" people. Sleep Apnea, causes irritability, depression, headaches, grogginess, lack of alertness, all those things which can affect your ability to do your job. Because of the lack of good oxygen supply to the brain, it can affect your short term memory, and the book is still open if this is reversible or not.,

So, make up your mind this is your FRIEND, if you have problems with the mask, analyze WHY? Does it leak? Is it uncomfortable? There are a multitude of masks out there, and all fit differently, feel differently. You might be more comfortable with a nasal pillow or a full face. You may need a chin strap permanently or temporarily to keep you from breathing through your mouth. Your pressure may be too high or too low causing you to feel like you can't breath. Let your dr. know these things. DEMAND answers and alternative machines or masks. You are the patient, YOU are paying them for their expertise and knowledge about Sleep Apnea and its treatment. It is your LIFE that is at stake, don't settle sloppy treatment.

jean19540_0

i totally agree!

Post by jean19540_0 » Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:41 am

well done janelle for being so frank about things and the alternatives. i think we all need a kick up the "yours truly" now & again to remind us what is actualy going on. we need somebody to point out the alternatives, because realy, there arnt any, apart from has you said, death, & who wants that??? not i for sure. personally, i've had loads of problems since the begining of treatment, but i WOULD'NT dream of giving up, since day one i have percsiveared, all night, evry night, plus every time i've taken a nap, i know it's my health, my life thats a stake, also i am so gratefull to our NHS for their experteeze, and helpfullness, their so kind & friendly, and go out of their way to try & get you the best treatment, best equipment, ect. THANK YOU SO MUCH to everyone who helps us with this horrible condition, we need to reward their efforts by playing our part & doing everything possible to try & help ourselves improve as best we can... jean...

sleepytrucker

not good

Post by sleepytrucker » Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:30 am

No improvement so far, have resorted to taking over-the-counter sleep aids, and am still unable to sleep with this thing on my face. Every time i get close, i literally have to wake up in order to stop myself from pulling the thing off. Which i have done anyway. Six nights, and no rest or comfort provided by this wonderful CPAP.

Actually, there is another option, i could always lose 50 pounds (which my doctor also recommends)

thanks,
st

auntiebeccaneedssleep

putting mask on when almost asleep

Post by auntiebeccaneedssleep » Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:19 pm

I have had my mask about a month. The easiest way I find to keep it on, is to let myself get really tired first. I will read, or do something that makes me sleepy. Many times I will fall asleep practically sitting up with the light on, and when I wake up I slip the mask on, shut off my light and then fall asleep. If I put it on before I am almost asleep, I get irritated and take it off and then sleep. Keep telling yourself that this will help you sleep better.

Good luck!

Becca
Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to sleep I go......

Mikesus

Post by Mikesus » Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:31 pm

Not all masks are created equal. Do you know what brand mask?

There could be a lot of reasons for taking it off. The most prevelant one being discomfort.

As has been suggested before, you might want to try one of the tried and true masks, like the Resmed Activa, or the Resmed Swift. (Most of the Resmed masks are pretty good, most of the Respironics ones on the other hand are not)

Talk to the folks you got the mask/machine from and see if they can switch your mask out.

Stick with it, you will get it to work!!

sleepytrucker

many thanks

Post by sleepytrucker » Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:45 pm

many thanks for the encouragement, one and all. Going to see what my mask options are tomorrow.

I first heard about CPAP over ten years ago, my best pal had gotten hooked up, and he felt that it changed his life. I know this technology has literally saved lives. At this point, i would just be happy sleeping in the same bed with my wife, rather than the couch (3+ years now).

later,
k

Night Owl

Post by Night Owl » Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:18 pm

The Activa mask is a favorite for a nasal mask. It's nice to have an alternate mask on hand -- switching masks every so often helps some to stick with it. Another good mask is the Swift -- it's less on the face with nothing on the forehead.

What is the pressure you start out with before it "ramps" up to 7 ? I found that if I started ramping under 6, I felt terrible.

Get used to the equipment before bed time -- read or watch TV with it on for an hour earlier in the day / night depending on your schedule.

This is a good thing -- there are great machines and masks out there now to help us -- just a little getting used to -- and lots of help here

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:38 pm

sleepy trucker, the mask is the key to almost everything about this kind of treatment, imho.

Mikesus and Night Owl are advising you well, imho. The Activa (covers the nose) or the Swift (nasal pillows) are two masks you should try, if at all possible.

I'd ask my doctor for a prescription for the Respironics Remstar Auto with C-Flex and heated humidifier. That straight pressure of 7 might or might not really be correct for you. It wouldn't hurt to have a week or two trial on Autopap to be sure that pressure is indeed taking care of most events for you.

But most of all, try to find a mask that is comfortable enough to sleep with better. Good luck!

Janelle

Post by Janelle » Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:51 pm

Losing 50 pounds, might or might not make a difference in your Apnea. It really depends on the reason for the apnea. if it is Obstructive, do you also have a deviated septum, enlarged tonsils or uvula. Does your soft palate sag? Weight loss generally won't help those. Do you smoke? If so, stop. That is what is thought to enlarge the tonsils unless you have frequent throat infections. The snoring is what has made your soft palate sag. Many think that the CPAP treatment and the cessation of snoring will help the soft palate to actual regain some of its original firmness even in as little as 6 months.

Many people have Sleep Apnea who are not overweight. Weight alone is not the cause. But you will certainly be healthier without extra weight. Usually losing weight alone is not going to cure your Sleep Apnea, but it might cause you to need a lower pressure than before.

kctom

Post by kctom » Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:15 am

sleepytrucker

I have had sleep apnea for a long time. A pressure of 7 should not be too difficult. I used 10 for a long time.

You might want to get another sleep test. Tell them that you are having problems adjusting to it. The sleep lab should have one of every mask out there. Maybe a different mask will solve your problem. They can also play with ramping pressures. Unfortunately, I do not know of any way to experiment with different masks other than at a sleep lab.

As far as loosing weight, once you control your apnea, you probably will loose weight. Tiredness makes you hungry.

Tom