My Lame Sleep Doc Visit--Two New Masks Hans Rudolph, Liberty

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
socknitster

My Lame Sleep Doc Visit--Two New Masks Hans Rudolph, Liberty

Post by socknitster » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:00 pm

Uh, yeah, Snoredog was right. Mostly it was a waste of my $15 copay. I got a few little nuggets of info, mostly just another opinion about what is going on so far and my plans for the future.

He confirmed I need my tonsils out. He discouraged me from doing any other surgery. He said the TAP dental appliance I have on the way is probably a waste of my money. He told me to sleep on a 20-30 degree wedge to help with aerophagia. (I already do because of gerd.)

That is about it. Didn't even HAVE MY SLEEP STUDY WITH HIM. Kinda had an attitude, like, I'm not sure why you are here.

Yawned, full body yawns, THREE TIMES during our appt. Inwardly, I was pissed so I said (got a little cheeky), "So, do you have apnea too?" And he mumbled some excuse that I couldn't even hear.

Anyway, you get the gist. I guess I don't have to like him, to add his opinion to the mix, but I won't be going back to him. There is at least one other sleep clinic/doc in town and I will go there or go to the nearest big city, Indianapolis for my titration after my tonsilectomy and TAP arrives.

I was ticked so I didn't really care too much what he thought so I told him about how I had reset the auto and how I had is set at a tight range around my prescribed pressure and he seemed fine with that. He said normally he prefers people don't change the settings but that I seemed to be doing so cautiously and juditiously so it was fine.

I was so frustrated and flustered that I didn't even get my full report while I was there. Argh. They promised to send it in the mail, but it hasn't arrived yet. I got a real sense that EVERYONE in that office including the doc (I'm guessing he sets the tone) takes their sweet time and doesn't get too serious about anything!

On to the new masks:

I got the Hans Rudolph full face mask and Resmed Liberty from cpap.com a few days ago and thought I would put in my .02. I think the Hans Rudolph is getting a bum deal because the reviews are so bad at cpap.com. NONE of the other full face masks work for me, so I said what the hay, I might as well try that one since it is at least different.

My conclusion: I got the wrong size. I ordered the medium after searching the internet and finding some sizing charts. Obviously they weren't accurate or I measured wrong. However, if I can find replacement parts for the size small somewhere (cpap.com doesn't carry--i already emailed them) I will give it one more try. If you are thinking of trying that one, make sure you order the size smaller than you would be fitted for in a standard ff mask. The only positive review it has at cpap.com is from someone who says he is of German heritage (like me) so I thought it might work with my prominant nose bridge. The problem is leaking around the eyes even with the sensa seal attatched. It is clearly too big. I knew it as soon as I got it out of the box.

The Liberty. Since I like Nasal pillows (so far the only mask I can wear all night is the OptiLife) I thought I would give this a try. The pillows on the hybrid just don't work for me. They push my nose out at a weird angle and it causes pain. I have tried several times. So, I was really hoping the Liberty would be an improvement on the design. If you don't like the chin flap on the hybrid, the Liberty is sans chin flap. I think it would be better with one, personally, because I feel it would help stabilize it. The nasal pillow is a great improvement for my nose--it is shaped more anatomically like the optilife and fits better without pain.

My biggest problem with the Liberty is that the top of the mouth-piece digs into my upper lip and causes pain. That must just be my anatomy. If I losen it up, it leaks. I can try tweaking it again, but I'm guessing it won't work for me. AFter a half hour I just opted to take it off and put the OptiLife back on.

So, that is that. Back to OptiLife and Chin Strap and Taping.

Jen

gasp

Re: My Lame Sleep Doc Visit--Two New Masks Hans Rudolph, Lib

Post by gasp » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:40 am

socknitster wrote:...
On to the new masks:

I got the Hans Rudolph full face mask and Resmed Liberty from cpap.com a few days ago and thought I would put in my .02. I think the Hans Rudolph is getting a bum deal because the reviews are so bad at cpap.com. NONE of the other full face masks work for me, so I said what the hay, I might as well try that one since it is at least different.

My conclusion: I got the wrong size. I ordered the medium after searching the internet and finding some sizing charts. Obviously they weren't accurate or I measured wrong. However, if I can find replacement parts for the size small somewhere (cpap.com doesn't carry--i already emailed them) I will give it one more try. If you are thinking of trying that one, make sure you order the size smaller than you would be fitted for in a standard ff mask. The only positive review it has at cpap.com is from someone who says he is of German heritage (like me) so I thought it might work with my prominant nose bridge. The problem is leaking around the eyes even with the sensa seal attatched. It is clearly too big. I knew it as soon as I got it out of the box.

The Liberty. Since I like Nasal pillows (so far the only mask I can wear all night is the OptiLife) I thought I would give this a try. The pillows on the hybrid just don't work for me. They push my nose out at a weird angle and it causes pain. I have tried several times. So, I was really hoping the Liberty would be an improvement on the design. If you don't like the chin flap on the hybrid, the Liberty is sans chin flap. I think it would be better with one, personally, because I feel it would help stabilize it. The nasal pillow is a great improvement for my nose--it is shaped more anatomically like the optilife and fits better without pain.

My biggest problem with the Liberty is that the top of the mouth-piece digs into my upper lip and causes pain. That must just be my anatomy. If I losen it up, it leaks. I can try tweaking it again, but I'm guessing it won't work for me. AFter a half hour I just opted to take it off and put the OptiLife back on.
Getting the wrong size is so common! I have two masks already that are the wrong size and I've only been on CPAP just under a month! I see a CPAPwear Party in the future : )

Here is another post by elazarus on the Liberty. viewtopic.php?t=21891&highlight=
It certainly helps narrow down which masks I'll try by reading all your posts. Thank you so much.

And the hunt goes on for a FF that fits or hybrid to try.

frete50

Post by frete50 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:36 am

Jen - Sent you a PM. Also the Hybrid did a similar thing to me like the Liberty did to you. I had massive pain in the area below my nose and in my upper lip.

Gasp - Like Jen I think the Hans Rudolph is a good mask. There is no forehead pad. I actually had to remove the pad from my UMFF because all the positions would put a large bruise on my forehead. Still do not really like that mask but when I cannot were the HR that is the one I go to.

Becky

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:42 am

Those doggon sleepy lame docs!

Hmmm .... maybe I ought to be looking for a mask with a Hispanic heritage?
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

socknitster

Post by socknitster » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:20 pm

DreamStalker wrote:Those doggon sleepy lame docs!

Hmmm .... maybe I ought to be looking for a mask with a Hispanic heritage?
Ok, I know you are probably making fun of me, but if you saw my nose, you might not. It is so very Continental, dahling!

My nose bridge is really big and bony right between my eyes. Now, I don't think I look weird or anything, it is just my personal anatomy.

I have tried the flexifit, the comfortful, the ultra mirage ff masks. NONE of them fit me because of my facial geometry. They all fit pretty similarly, actually. I can only get them to seal at the nose or at the chin, but NEVER in both places at once. Kinda frustrating!

Trying the hans rudolph (size small is on the way via cpap.com) may seem like an act of desperation (it is) but it is different. I really hoped either the hybrid or the liberty would work for me, but they are going to have to come up with something new before I try that again! I'll post my results with hr size small when I've used it for a few days.

Jen

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:28 pm

Nothing personal dahling! I try and spread the jest out as evenly as possible

Besides, almost everything is made with Chinese heritage these days ... I think I'll become Chinese
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

socknitster

Post by socknitster » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:31 pm

Oh, that is what is wrong! The MASKS need to be made in China, just like the rest of our stuff. It all makes so much sense to me now!

jen

cwsanfor

Post by cwsanfor » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:53 pm

socknitser,

I hope you'll post a review of the HR mask. I continue to be interested in that one despite the generally poor reviews.

socknitster

Post by socknitster » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:46 pm

cwsanfor wrote:socknitser,

I hope you'll post a review of the HR mask. I continue to be interested in that one despite the generally poor reviews.
I most certainly will. It came today. I already posted one review on cpap.com with what I knew about it thus far and to warn people about the sizing issues. I'm excited to try it, but I'm up late tonight and husband is already in bed so I'm not sure if I will wear it tonight because mask farts are not my idea of a good wake-up call!

But soon!

jen

Cliff

Post by Cliff » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:41 pm

Interesting mask. I saw one today while picking up some paperwork at my local DME. They ordered it for a customer that had not been able to use any other full face mask. This was their last option, and had to order it for him because they normally don't stock it due to higher cost. As I recall, it was a size large, so I hope it fit him.

Cliff