OT - Cleaning the Natural Way - You, Your Mask, Your Home

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Babette

Post by Babette » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:10 pm

CHRISTINE! YOU TOTALLY ROCK!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much for all your good information!!!!!!!!!!

Must go read websites...

Seriously, why aren't you selling this stuff?

Cheers,
B.

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

christinequilts

Re: OT - Cleaning the Natural Way - You, Your Mask, Your Hom

Post by christinequilts » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:20 pm

Babette wrote: The grating of the soap was more bother than I cared to go through.
2 words for you Babette- FOOD PROCESSOR- hehe
Hey, its soap and what do we clean our food processor with when its dirty? Soap! So why not? Besides, it takes less then a minute to grate an entire bar of castile soap- it should be the same texture as the Borax & Washing Soda when you get done. And don't fall for any of those recipes that want you to make liquid laundry soap from said ingredients...when they got to the part of pouring into a 5 gallon bucket & adding more water, my eyes glazed over (not that I don't have enough buckets- I have 2 indoor cats-lol). But who wants to lift a 5 gallon bucket of liquid soapy gel once they make it...and I surely don't have room in kitchen laundry area to store it either. I went with a dry laundry soap mix, which works just a well & takes much less space. I keep a couple peanut butter jars handy that I mix one loads worth of soap & hot water to dissolve well before I add to my load of laundry. Add vinegar to the final rinse- a Downy ball works great- and you're clothes come out great. And for once in my life I'm not itchy- I finally started reacting to one laundry detergent I've used for years and since they don't have to list ingredients by law, I didn't trust the All Free & Clear, nor the Tide version, all that much either.

I'll be back later to post my OCM technique...and yes, its much quicker then what most sites describe.

Babette

Post by Babette » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:39 pm

Christine, forget what I said about Roberto... IT'S YOU BABY! YOU ARE THE LOVE OF MY LIFE!

(Of course, if Val Kilmer shows up, I get freebies, right?)

I was definitely going for the dry soap mix. However, I'm not liking that you said I had to pre-wet the soap. I can't just dump it in the washer? Not liking that...

Uh... I don't cook. Hence, I don't own a food processor. I do own a hand-crank little "salsa maker" plastic and metal affair. I doubt it would grate soap and then be happy to make salsa later.

Ooooo... Wonder if I could use Mommy's food processor? Probably not. She doesn't let me touch much in her kitchen, since she knows her daughter is a moron...

Why don't I just buy the grated stuff? Look, those nice people need to eat too. I'm probably helping them put their kids through college, right? I'm sure they are not funneling money to terrorists or Republicans. (Couldn't resist... IT'S A JOKE, PEOPLE!)

I also own an elderly coffee grinder. It could probably handle a few raw almonds. Which I happen to have on hand... One of the few healthy things in my kitchen... Note they have not been eaten...

Okay, enough whimpering. I need to scope out Walgreens and Walmart to find out if I can get all the ingredients locally and save shipping. Wonder if Marlene's might have ingredients? TJ's didn't.

Cheers,
B.

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

Babette

Post by Babette » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:12 pm

Is there a local source (vs. online) for buying clean spray pump bottles for making home-made cleaners? I can buy little travel bottles for the OCM oils (HA! Buy! What a hoot! I have a thing for little travel bottles - have an entire cabinet devoted to little bottles...).

But need some clean "409" style spray bottles. Don't want to wash out old cleaner bottles. Seems like it would defeat the "natural-ness" of the new recipe.

Used to find plant mister bottles at the drug store, but haven't seen them lately... Any ideas? Lowe's? Walmart? Safeway?

Thanks!!!!
B.

RosemaryB

Re: rosacea

Post by RosemaryB » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:38 pm

[quote="Auricula"]Rose, What are you using for rosacea? Did the condition start after you began using CPAP? Mine did and I thought it was an allergic reaction to the materials in the headgear/mask but my dermatologist says it is probably from perspiration building up under them. Some days the rash is really ugly. I've read that it is extremely hard to get rid of the condition once it's started but hope that is not true. A

Thread on how I overcame aerophagia
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t3383 ... hagia.html

Thread on my TAP III experience
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t3705 ... ges--.html

Babette

Post by Babette » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:45 pm

I for one don't have a problem with the discussion here, either.

I don't THINK I have rosacea, but I'm inching toward it. I have fair skin and that red look that many Irish women get. Not ROSACEA RED (and yes, I know the difference) but I can see how I could develop it.

Thanks for the tips Rosemary!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you think OCM would work for Rosacea, or would that be counter-productive? I'm thinking about Sharon1965, who says she has very sensitive skin with rosacea. And a friend of mine who refuses to use his metrogel... stupid man... Like he'd do OCM, right? Oh well...

LOL,
B.

gasp

Post by gasp » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:49 pm

Babette wrote: BTW - do I need to keep this in the fridge, once mixed?
I keep all oils and foods high in natural oil in the frig. You could keep enough in a small glass bottle for one week's use.

One way to come up with a recipe is to look at a commercial product that has most of the ingredients. This way you know there is more of the first ingredient than the second and so on, in descending order.

Also, here is a site with lots of ideas:
http://possumsal.homestead.com/skincare.html

Have fun : )

jennmary

Post by jennmary » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:17 pm

[quote="Babette"]Is there a local source (vs. online) for buying clean spray pump bottles for making home-made cleaners? I can buy little travel bottles for the OCM oils (HA! Buy! What a hoot! I have a thing for little travel bottles - have an entire cabinet devoted to little bottles...).

But need some clean "409" style spray bottles. Don't want to wash out old cleaner bottles. Seems like it would defeat the "natural-ness" of the new recipe.

Used to find plant mister bottles at the drug store, but haven't seen them lately... Any ideas? Lowe's? Walmart? Safeway?

Thanks!!!!
B.

Refugee

Post by Refugee » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:28 pm

ahhhhhhhhhh man, based on the title of this thread I thought it was going to be about doing housework nekkid

jennmary

Post by jennmary » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:48 pm

Darn....were your hopes horribly dashed? lol

jennmary

Post by jennmary » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:41 am

The ancient romans used to use oil to clean themselves. I took honors latin in hs and college. So we studied some roman culture.

Then agian they also washed clothes in pee. lol

OCM has been around in one for or another for centuries. I am going to try it this week.

Babette

Post by Babette » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:10 am

Pee is actually not a bad cleanser for clothes. It's been used for centuries. Having spent this spring cleaning up PILES OF PEE AND POOP COVERED CLOTHES at a friend's house, I'm not going there anytime soon.

Found spray bottles in the laundry aisle at Walmart. Found them also in the gardening section at Walgreens.

DID NOT find anything but Boraxo on my hunt last night for ingredients. Looks like I'm going to be buying the laundry soap kit online. BTW, found Boraxo only at Safeway.

BTW, another OCM dicussion:
http://www.forums.longhaircommunity.com ... php?t=5612

As for CLEANING HOUSE NEKKID... Well, I'm not wearing anything except a long tank top and some flip flops right now. No panties... Okay, the tank top comes to my thighs, so I'm not NEKKID, but I'm FREE!

I do most things at home nekkid. Saves on laundry... And yes, I have a sheet on the couch... sheesh...

Thanks for the link Gasp! I still want some specifics. I really can't "cook" without a recipe.

Okay, my current OCM ingredient list:
Castor Oil
Jojoba Oil
Tea Tree Oil
Grapeseed Oil
Sweet Almond Oil

I don't like alot of scents, so I'm skipping the Essential Oil additive right now. Do you think I need any Olive Oil or any other oil in my mix?

BTW, I did buy Eucalyptus and Lemongrass EO's to add to Christine's recipe for all purpose spray cleaner. Did I repost that for her? Hmmm...

OH! And I found something very interesting at Walgreen's. A line of oil-products from a Renton, WA manufacturer. I bought the oil for body moisturizing. I don't like the smell... I added about 20 drops of Lemongrass and hope it will improve. I just sniffed the bottle. Still has that icky lecithin smell, but now with the addition of Lemongrass... Hmmm... YMMV - I don't like the smell of lecithin. Childhood trauma - Mom's homemade granola... I'm getting sick. Have to stop talking about it...

Anyway, the stuff is:

New Everybody Lotion
by BetteK - New People Products, Inc.
$9.99 for an 8 oz bottle
Ingredients:
Liquid Lecithin, Poly-Unsaturated Oil (Presume this is just "Vegetable Oil), Almond Oil, Olive Oil, Lanolin, Beeswax, Vanilla and Vitamin K.

It's an OIL, not a lotion. Definitely more of an "apres shower" sort of thing. If you try to slather it on dry skin like lotion, it's not real pleasant. I'll keep working on it. They have a foot cream, neck cream, hand wash, and... something else.

Here is the only thing I've found online, and I can't find the lotion I bought at this vendor:
http://www.vitaminlife.com/product-exec ... t_id/36345

Cheers,
B.

Babette

Post by Babette » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:16 am

Another useful OCM discussion:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/sh ... 376&page=2

Cheers,
B.

Babette

Post by Babette » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:25 am

Here's Christine's cleaning recipe from JennMary's thread about Vinegar washing her mask:
christinequilts wrote: What until you try using it for cleaning other stuff too- its amazing what you can do with vinegar! My everyday kitchen & bathroom cleaner is 1 TBSP dish soap + 1 tsp washing soda + 1 tsp borax + 1/4 cup vinegar + enough water to fill 12-14oz spray bottle- I can't believe how well it works to get gunk off & how much stuff shines long after I clean with it (and you can make it whatever scent you want with a few drops of essential oil).

But you not wanting to try vinegar sounds like me when I first heard about using using castor oil as part of the Oil Cleansing Method (OCM) for your face. I got over the idea that putting oil on my skin was bad, but I couldn't fathom using castor oil until I started looking at all the labels of commercial skin care & hair care products and 75%+ contained castor oil-lol. Now I use castor in my OCM mix, followed by a quick spray with diluted apple cider vinegar for face and my skin is better then its ever been.
I'm gonna make it right now and test it out!

Thanks Christine!!! You really need to put up a website with all this good info on it...

Cheers,
B.

Babette

Post by Babette » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:20 pm

For those of you in Western Washington, I found Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda and Fels Naptha (as well as 20 Mule Team Borax) at QFC. YAY!!!

I made a batch of laundry soap per the http://www.soapsgonebuy.com recipe, and added a 1/2 cup of baking soda, because I'd seen it discussed in various forums, and did my first load today.

Oh! I also bought the Downy Ball and did the vinegar rinse, per Christine. It opened, and stuff smells fine. Not vinegary.

This has bugged me since that ball came out - how does it know when to open? You close it, throw it in the beginning of the wash, then when it's all done, it's open. Does it just open any old time and we're supposed to believe it opens in the rinse only? Or is there some secret voodoo to it I can't figure out? It's a rubber stopper for pity's sake...

I'll report on the state of the clothes in the AM when I pull them off the line. Didn't get dry yet. I did laundry late in the evening.

Off to goopy up my face for a 1/2 hour or so...

LOL,
B.