OT - Cleaning the Natural Way - You, Your Mask, Your Home

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Babette

OT - Cleaning the Natural Way - You, Your Mask, Your Home

Post by Babette » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:57 pm

Okay, so we've hijacked enough threads with our obsession with natural cleaning products, so let's just start our own thread.

Thanks to Jen and Christine for giving me something new to go out and spend money on!

Here's some fun things I found today:

http://www.soapsgonebuy.com

I'm going to check out their Soilove Laundry Treatment, and their kit for making your own powdered laundry soap. The grating of the soap was more bother than I cared to go through.

Wait! I spoke too soon! You can buy it pre-grated AND pre-mixed! I love it!
http://www.soapsgonebuy.com/Old_Fashion ... et1002.htm

Okay, and as for Oil Cleaning Method, lovely Jen sent me this link:
http://www.purehenry.com/ocm.htm

Informational only. Her store is closed and she doesn't answer email.

I also stopped at TJ's tonight and bought Tea Tree Oil to try Christine's suggestion for a bathtub mildew cleaner, and Jojoba oil, and TJ's brand of liquid Castile soap - considerably cheaper than Dr. Bronner's! - and their Nourish brand of Shampoo and conditioner - they were the only one's without Sodium Laurel Sulfate.

Jen, why is SLS so bad? Just curious.

Now, I think ya'll need to post your OCM recipes and vinegar and other natural cleaning solution recipes.

BTW, Christine, can you tell us all your OCM ritual? I'm trying to figure out how to do it quicker and in the shower.

LOL,
B.

Last edited by Babette on Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

gasp

Re: OT - Cleaning the Natural Way - You, Your Mask, Your Hom

Post by gasp » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:27 pm

Babette wrote: TJ's brand of liquid Castile soap - considerably cheaper than Dr. Bronner's! -
Then what would I read in the bathroom? OK, just kidding, I keep it under the sink - but you never know when the need might strike.

Regarding SLS, I'll let Christine answer more fully or with more recent info, however here's a report from way back in 1983.

JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN COLLEGE OF TOXICOLOGY
Volume 2. Number 7, 1983
http://www.natural-health-information-c ... eport.html

Treesap

Post by Treesap » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:27 pm

Sorry, I am new here. What is OCM?

Babette

Post by Babette » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:44 pm

OCM = Oil Cleansing Method.

This is the only link I have to it right now:
http://www.purehenry.com/ocm.htm

Cheers,
B.

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

jennmary

Post by jennmary » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:10 am

I have been so weary to try this. But I think I am going to have to. I am nearly 27 and thought acne would be done with by now. But I cant get my facial oil under control.

RosemaryB

Post by RosemaryB » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:03 am

OK, I'm going to highjack this thread slightly and post what I use for moisturizing since I have the opposite problem: dry skin. You can also use this for lip balm, so it does apply to everyone.

Unrefined shea butter (purchased online)
natural glycerin (wetting agent, makes the butter/oil absorb better)
coconut oil (food grade)
jojoba oil, avocado oil or other similar oil
optional: lavendar or other essential oil scent (I don't do this, but tried it at first)

I mix all these together, starting with the shea butter. I get shea butter online in bulk very cheaply, the health food store stuff is usually refined and very pricey. I will try and find the website and post it here if anyone is interested. I get the other items at the health food store, but use very little of them, most of it is shea butter. I don't ever measure, but just get a consistency I like.

I put an extremely small amount of this on my lips before I tape and my lips have never been softer. I'm thinking of using it on my nares in place of KY gel, but only tried it once. I'm going to try the lanolin first because I don't know how this would interact with the mask.

I also use it liberally on my hands and feet in the winter. This stuff goes on very greasey, but I greatly prefer it to any other moisturizers and it's the only thing that keeps me from winter dryness. For one thing, these are all things that are nontoxic. They are gluten free (but check the source). For some reason all commercial lip balms cause me to have blisters inside my mouth, but this doesn't.

I don't use this on my face, since I have rosacea, but I suspect it would work well for a night cream if you didn't. I've been using it for a couple of years.

Thread on how I overcame aerophagia
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t3383 ... hagia.html

Thread on my TAP III experience
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t3705 ... ges--.html

Babette

Post by Babette » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:27 am

Hey Rosemary, not a hijack at all! In fact, I was going to post a request this AM for someone to post their favorite brand of body lotion. I'm not happy with any of mine, and looking at the TJ's brands yesterday I couldn't make a decision.

I'm not sure I want to go to the trouble of making my own. I live in a small space, and am already crowded with my OTHER HOBBIES.

But if someone has a great brand they like, do post it. Or if you start selling it Rosemary, lemme know!

Tried the OCM last night and this AM. Face feels fine. Soft and not oily. Used the TJ's castile soap, and their Nourish Shampoo and Conditioner. WOWZA! I really really like that Nourish! Little goes a LONG way, and they work so much better than the Pantene!!!!! And CHEAP!!!! $2.99 for a bottle the same size as the Pantene and I typically pay $3.99-$4.99 for Pantene. Though I do tend to stock up on it at Big Lots when it's $2.

I think the donation barrel is getting a load of shampoo and conditioner soon...

Cheers,
B.

Babette

Re: OT - Cleaning the Natural Way - You, Your Mask, Your Hom

Post by Babette » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:18 am

gasp wrote:[Regarding SLS, I'll let Christine answer more fully or with more recent info, however here's a report from way back in 1983.

JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN COLLEGE OF TOXICOLOGY
Volume 2. Number 7, 1983
http://www.natural-health-information-c ... eport.html
Oh disgusting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So let me get this straight - SLS causes depression, skin irritation, cell breakdown... Oh for crissake!!!!!!

Alright already... I'm getting it out of my bathroom! Anywhere else it appears? Okay, kitchen cleaners. Check. Please tell me it's not in FOOD???

I think I feel sick....
B.

Babette

Post by Babette » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:33 am

OOO!!!! Another forum talking about OCM!

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/vi ... p?tid=8784

And Gasp? HOMEMADE Dr. Hauschka Cleansing Cream!

LOL,
B.

Babette

Post by Babette » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:40 am

Found another supplier of OCM oil....

http://www.anovelideaco.com/shopping/ar ... ng_oil.htm

LOL,
B.

Auricula

rosacea

Post by Auricula » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:44 am

Rose, What are you using for rosacea? Did the condition start after you began using CPAP? Mine did and I thought it was an allergic reaction to the materials in the headgear/mask but my dermatologist says it is probably from perspiration building up under them. Some days the rash is really ugly. I've read that it is extremely hard to get rid of the condition once it's started but hope that is not true. A

Babette

Post by Babette » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:47 am

Not Rose, but I'll share what I've been reading online the last few hours.

OCM is NOT recommended for rosacea. I'm amending this, as Rosemary has tried this and reports that the heat and rubbing have irritated her Rosacea.

Night cream is NOT RECOMMENDED for ANYONE. Plugs the pores and debilitates the bodies natural ability to slough cells during the night.

Sweating under the mask is something that just can't be helped. Don't know if there is a cure for it. Is there any possibility of you using a nasal mask rather than a FF?

Good luck!
B.

Last edited by Babette on Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

gasp

Post by gasp » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:00 am

Babette wrote:OOO!!!! Another forum talking about OCM!

LOL,
B.
Excellent! And, don't forget to have your mom come up with her own version of their Rose Day Cream and Normalizing Day Oil - we'd be set!

Babette

Post by Babette » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:57 pm

OCM SOME MORE
Hokay! So, found out Super Supplements across the way from me carries nearly all the supplies I need for OCM.

I got Castor Oil, cold pressed, recommended by Edgar Cayce. Good to know he recommends things from beyond the grave...

100% Pure Sweet Almond Oil

Found Sweet Almond Oil and Grapeseed oil but both had Tocopheryl Acetate in them, so I passed, picked up the 100% pure Almond, and will continue to hunt for Grapeseed. Probably at Safeway.

Looked at Borage, but it was spendy, and in the fridge section, so I passed.

Now I need RECIPE! Friends, I can't cook without a recipe. Trust me. Jen found out this AM that I overuse Tea Tree Oil. Must be why slathering tea tree oil on the rash over Xmas didn't make rash go away...

I do not have oily skin. I have normal skin that is sensitive, breaks out, and has dry patches - particularly between my eyes. I do get "oily" during the day, but nothing like a true oily skin girl. I lived with one, I feel confident in saying I don't have oily skin.

BTW - do I need to keep this in the fridge, once mixed?

For the lovely PM-er who told me about his/her scalp rash issue - I say pour a liberal amount of your OCM oil on your head. Not so much that it drips off. Work it well into your scalp. Cover your head with a shower cap. If you have one, sit under a bonnet style hair dryer set at low for.... 15-20 minutes? Give yourself some breaks in that time, if you feel hot. I have a shower cap style bonnet, and I routinely just lift the seal and let some hot air escape to give me a little break.

If you don't have the bonnet dryer, throw a towel in the dryer, and pull it out and turban your head with it. At least you're getting a little heat.

Then wash hair as normal. Try this a few times. It might help. Or you might think I'm THE REAL FLAKE, and ignore me.

Cheers,
B.

christinequilts

Post by christinequilts » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:05 pm

gasp wrote:
Babette wrote:OOO!!!! Another forum talking about OCM!

LOL,
B.
Excellent! And, don't forget to have your mom come up with her own version of their Rose Day Cream and Normalizing Day Oil - we'd be set!
My version of Dr H's Cleansing Cream is to some almonds, grind them a small Magic Bullet container or coffee grinder I use for grinding spices & such. You want them ground almost to the point of making almond butter (ie- like peanut butter), so they are starting to release their oils. Depending on which I'm grinding in, I then add in & mix by hand or in the Magic Bullet, a little almond oil and some honey, along any herbs like Calendula, Comfrey and a couple drops of essential oils, but they are mostly for scent the CC is something that's is washed off. It doesn't make a lot of sense to go all out on essential oils & other high end ingredients for a product that's only going to be on your face for a couple minutes vs a cream or lotion that will be left on. I keep my version of my CC in a tightly sealed container in my bathroom- if I make a really big batch, I will put most of it in the fridge, but I haven't had any problems keeping this in my bathroom since it doesn't have any water added. I do use a little scooper to take out what I need so I'm not sticking my fingers into it & contaminating it. Okay...I went and found my notes from the last batch I made- 24 whole almonds, 1 TBSP (tablespoon) honey, 1 tsp (teaspoon) Sweet Almond Oil (or other light oil), plus 1/8 tsp Comfrey root powder, and a few drops of Tea Tree Oil, chamomile EO, etc.

I love that my local health food store has lots of herb, both in ground & unground form that they buy in bulk & package in 1 oz baggies. Most are 79cents, but there are some that are pricier that have 1/2 oz or some like lavender that may have more then 1 oz, but I don't think there are any over $2, which makes it nice for experimenting or for when you only need a small quantity. Some I'll probably continue to buy that way, but there are some I use in larger quantities that I'll end ordering online.

As far as the Everyday Oil, I basically mix my own version up in small quantities so I can vary it as my skin changes throughout the year, or throughout the month, as the case may be. I tend to use Emu Oil and/or Jojoba oil as my base oil and add things like Neem oil (very, very stinky...I tend to only use it at night, and then its tiny drop or two), tea tree oil, sea buckthorn seed oil, lavender EO (essential oil), chamomile EO, ylang ylang EO, Evening Prime Rose oil, flax seed oil, etc.

A lot of times I find I don't need the oil base, especially now that its summer time (except around my eye area), but I don't like applying EO or other strong products, like Neem Oil, directly to my skin either. What I've started doing it mixing a little of my flax seed gel I make for my hair, which is the consistency of egg whites, in my hand and adding whatever I want to that. It gives me something to dilute stuff in and it provides enough 'stuff' to evenly spread around my face & neck, plus it provided 'slip'. Besides, on its own, Flax Seed Gel has a lot of 'good stuff' for our skin, including a little Flax Seed Oil, which is high in essential fatty acids. Here is great site for various flax seed recipes- Care2 green living (be sure to check out all the other stuff at the Care 2 site- lots of good articles & recipes). I only make the plain one, that they call Hair Setting Gel. Usually I make a larger batch and add a small percentage of preservative, plus I keep it in a sealed jar in the fridge. I find it last very well, especially if you use distilled water & keep it refrigerated, personally. I also find it works better using 2 cups of water with 2 TBSP flax seed- the longer you boil them, the thicker the gel will be...if it gets too thick, you may have to strain it by putting it a tightly woven cloth napkin or towel. If you want, you add more water to the pan & put the used flax seeds back in and boil them up again to get even more gel. I use a small oral syringe, like you would give a baby medicine with, to take a day or two's worth out to keep in the bathroom- it makes easier to apply to the roots of my hair on top, where I need it for lift, and to get just a little in my hand to use on my face.

Here is Care 2's Apple Cider Vinegar uses. If you're using it for skin care, you might want to get unpasteurized ACV, like Bragg's or Eden Foods. Both are usually readily available at health food stores and even some grocery stores. Some commercial ACV is not 100% ACV, and may be mostly distilled vinegar with some ACV, which doesn't have all the benefits that ACV does.
Honey uses
Customizing shampoo with EO's for various hair types
Make your own Non-Toxic Cleaning Kit for your house