OSA, Sleep Paralysis and Alien Abductions

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
kteague

Bad Dreams

Post by kteague » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:41 am

All my life my dreams have been vivid, and some repetitive, and while many have been scary, most weren't bad enough to be night terrors.

While not usually terrorizing, the most tormenting were when on Sinemet for the PLMD and if something (eating protein, taking cold meds, etc.)caused the medicine to not fully work. I'd be stuck in a place somewhere between asleep and awake, and very brief scenes would flash repeatedly all night long. If I woke up then went back to sleep it would begin repeating again. Sometimes it was just one sentence that was like a stuck record. Maddening!

Not sure if I was on Sinemet or Mirapex, but one night I was sure someone was watching me by hidden camera, and that a light was blinking at the edge of the ceiling light fixture. I even taped a marking pen to the handle of my broom to mark the spot so I could have it checked out in the morning. Well, morning finally came. My light fixture brilliantly displayed a smattering of red squiggly X marks resembling toddler art. Of course there was no roving hidden camera.

When my sleep deprivation was at its worst, I was having these "spells" where it felt I was "daydreaming" then would hear myself saying aloud a line from the scene. I was aware enough to know it was inapproriate and would quickly say, "No. No." and would soon fully awaken, though disjointed for a moment. I imagine the staff where I worked then have some tales to tell, as I did it a few times while conducting meetings. I can only hope the things I blurted were inappropriate only in time and place, as I generally couldn't remember them once I was fully alert.

I still dream every time I doze, even when just nodding lightly. But all the really weird stuff decreased as my sleep improved. Sleep deprivation can do strange things to the brain.

Kathy

christinequilts

Re: OSA, Sleep Paralysis and Alien Abductions

Post by christinequilts » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:12 pm

Babette wrote:Goofing off watching stupid TV show on Alien Abductions when I should be mowing the lawn.
I found the perfect bedside lamp for you:
Abduction Lamp

Its still only a concept product, but I bet it would be a big seller-lol.
Got to love some of the 'theories' that go along with:
Bovine Abductee
We know that martians abduct hundreds of cows each year. We also know that Elvis lives on Mars.

Put these two facts together, and you'll realize that the Martians are busy collecting Earth cows to keep Elvis with a steady supply of hamburgers.

Human Abductee
It is well known that Martians abduct humans. We also know that Martians have useless hands.

Combine these facts with the previous conclusion, and it becomes clear that humans are abducted to serve as burger flippers to keep the King happy on Mars!
...now if they can only combine it with a CPAP & have a built in alarm clock, we'd be all set

Babette

Post by Babette » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:14 pm

Where can I buy that lamp?

So funny...............

I wanna flip burgers for The King too!!!!

LOL,
B.

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

dieselgal

Post by dieselgal » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:18 pm

Be careful what you wish for Babette!

Babette

Post by Babette » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:20 pm

Hey DG, if I suddenly stop posting, please spread the rumour that I was abducted by aliens and you heard I'm on Mars flipping burgers for Elvis.

Better than some of the rumours I've heard about me...

LOL,
B.

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

Guestt

Sleep paralysis plus

Post by Guestt » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:33 pm

Hello to Babette and others

This link is to a Science News article about sleep paralysis and may be of interest to some.

"Night of the Crusher"
http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20050709/bob9.asp

Babette

Post by Babette » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:46 pm

Man! That's a trip! I think all these people need a sleep study!

Cheers,
B.

Treesap

Dreams with OSA

Post by Treesap » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:50 pm

I never dreamed (haha!!) that my recurring weird dreams were part of OSA! Come to think of it, I can't remember any dreams since I've started getting restful sleep.

In the past, I remember dreaming about stressful situations (particularly work stuff), and that the stressful part would play over and over and over. I thought it was my dreams exhausting me because I was working all night.

It's amazing how our minds and bodies react to things like OSA. Thank God for treatment!!

socknitster

Post by socknitster » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:06 pm

But here's the truly creepy part - right after BTK was caught, several people posted about his daughter being in another forum for people who have "night terrors". She'd had them all her life and they were quite debilitating. We all shuddered and sympathized so much with her.

Makes you wonder if the btk killer also had a sleep disorder and that is why he went crazy. The human brain is a zany place. I think people could easily be deceived by the hallucinations you mentioned into thinking they were reality. I have never experienced anything much like it. I had one sleepwalking experience as a child, but that is it. I have woke up talking before.

But I really think you might be on the right track with the alien abduction theory. Sad but true. Humans don't even need other people to decieve them, their own brains can do it for them. I really feel for anyone who experiences this! I know I have had nightmares that felt so real it was scary UNTIL I woke up. I can't imagine BEING AWAKE and having one. Yikes!

Jen