Calling all Small faced small headed hose heads

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
atruvirgo

Post by atruvirgo » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:54 pm

I am still searching for a mask that will fit small nose, short distance between nose and lip, narrow enough not to hit my eyes and with headgear that stays on. Anyone out there get lucky with such a thing yet??? If so do tell!!! My doctor will order me one as soon as I tell him what I want. This is my last shot at it for 6 months!!!
Debbie/Atruvirgo/Armynavyx3
Proud Mom of 1 Navy & 2 Army Kids
Nana to 5 lil darlings!

Life is Grand!!

mhacker

Post by mhacker » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:09 pm

I have the comfort gel /with premium headgear - petite - and even then the tech wished he had a smaller mask.

It does work for my small nose, moustache, and larger head.

//glad they don't check for waist size

DP

Post by DP » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:16 am

Have you tried the flexifit406? I think Resmed has a childs mask out now too.

DP
RPSGT

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:26 am

The Fisher & Paykel HC 406 is a Petite and a good suggestion.

I like the Respironics Simplicity.

I also like the ComfortLite 2 Simple Nasal Cushion (and that gives you the opportunity to try a nasal pillow as well - 2 masks in one, not a bad deal).

In another of your threads w/ChristineQuilts as I remember it I went to great lengths describing the size/shape differences of the masks I had tried. Did you see that post?

Ask your DME supplier for the opportunity to come in and try the mask you decide you are interested in before buying it.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

christinequilts

Post by christinequilts » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:41 am

mhacker wrote:
//glad they don't check for waist size
LOL! At least we have one diminutive feature

But yeah, you got to love when they assume because you're not a teeny tiny person that need a larger sized mask, when half my problem is masks are designed for men's faces, not womens.
We need to get Ryka interested in designing xPAP masks along with their fabulous athletic shoes that are made for women only

I'm having great luck with the Vista now, but it wasn't one I would have ever gravitated towards if I wasn't so limited in mask options by my VPAP Adapt. The Vista has the longest learning curve of any mask I've ever used, and if it wasn't the only option I have for a mask that doesn't use the bridge of my nose, it would have ended up in the mask drawer graveyard. That said, now that I'm use it (6months in), it's really easy to throw on every night & I hardly ever have to tweak it anymore- and its worn a lot loser then I expected.

Prior to getting my VPAP Adapt, I used a ComfortCurve as my primary mask for 18 months or so, which I would go back to in an heartbeat if I could. It doesn't go into your nose, like the Swift (another one you might want to check into), but rather sits under your nose with check pad 'wings' that hold it in place. I know Slinky recommended the Simplicity, its a good option too & was one I used early on in my xPAP journey. I have a small Simplicity still in the package I had picked up as a replacement a year or so ago; I can't use it now with my current machine- if you might be interested in working out some sort of deal, let me know.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:50 am

If you like or are interested in the Vista but find the Vista a little large for you (I did) they now make a Kidsta. Same mask but smaller.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

atruvirgo

You folks are the best!

Post by atruvirgo » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:43 am

Yes I do remember the thread and I will go back and read again. I am currently using the 406 and by far has been the best fit so far. Headgear is a little big and I may need to do a little tweaking and perhaps put a strap across the top of the head to keep it from sliding down, otherwise the lower strp ends up around my neck! It's just that the 406 is getting a little warm now that it is in the 90's here. I also get skin rashs from it sitting on my face. kidsta huh...i will check that out. Some of these masks i have never heard of! Thanks everyone for you wealth of info!!!
Debbie/Atruvirgo/Armynavyx3
Proud Mom of 1 Navy & 2 Army Kids
Nana to 5 lil darlings!

Life is Grand!!

motherall

Post by motherall » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:37 pm

I still love my Bravo because of the headear that fits my small head so well and does not cross over my eyes. It also does not rest on my upper lip or push on my teeth (a common problem for me). My second choice is my Optilife which also has smaller headgear and an attached chin strap.

gasp

Comfort Gel

Post by gasp » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:52 pm

I have a Comfort Gel size small http://comfortgel.respironics.com/
I would have the petite, but my DME didn't have it in stock. I decided the customization would make it work for me if needed.

The mask allows the user to boil the gel, set it in place for 10 minutes, and let it mold to your features. This webpage shows the gel after it has been boiled (customized)

http://comfortgel.respironics.com/MaskCustom.asp

Also, my mask came with a DVD that showed how this is done. You can do it 10 times, so not to worry about ruining it. I intend to do this next weekend in hopes of lowering the ridge just under my nose a bit. I'm sleeping comfortably, but would like just a bit less ridge.

The mask is so versatile, that I can balance the pressure under the nose, on the bridge of my nose, and on my forehead. This webpage shows how leaks occur and how to fix them (select Mistake 1, Mistake 2, and Show Fix For This Mistake) This page shows how I balance to et the right seal and comfort setting. http://comfortgel.respironics.com/Fitting.asp

CPAP.com carries the mask:

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/comfor ... onics.html

Hope this helps!

gasp

Post by gasp » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:56 pm

motherall wrote:I still love my Bravo because of the headear that fits my small head so well and does not cross over my eyes. It also does not rest on my upper lip or push on my teeth (a common problem for me). My second choice is my Optilife which also has smaller headgear and an attached chin strap.
I'm a side sleeper and wondered if this type of mask would cause uncomfortable pressure on the cheeks? It's nice that it leaves the eye area clear.

MissDozer

Post by MissDozer » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:25 pm

I've been using the Bravo for a week or so, and have found it to be the most comfortable mask I've used. I'm also a side sleeper, and if I end up with imprints in the morning, they disappear pretty fast.

sharon1965

Post by sharon1965 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:04 pm

HA!! i wish

JZ

Post by JZ » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:21 pm

I use the ComfortLite 2 with an extra strap (panty hose leg) around it to secure it. The forehead piece comes all the way down to my eyebrows and is a little bulky, but I can adjust the nasal pillows to where I need them.

Good luck. I agree with christinequilts that some companies need to begin designing headgear and masks to fit those of us with small heads and faces.

Janna

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:18 pm

JZ, you "do" realize that you can adjust the "down" tube so that the forehead piece is not almost in your eyes, don't you?? Take a good look at your CL2 literature and you will see what I mean.

ozij

Re: You folks are the best!

Post by ozij » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:10 pm

atruvirgo wrote: <snip> Headgear is a little big and I may need to do a little tweaking and perhaps put a strap across the top of the head to keep it from sliding down, otherwise the lower strp ends up around my neck! <snip>
If you can't beat them, join them: I've been sticking a folded tennis sock between my hair and the headgear for a year or longer. It makes my head bigger as far the headgear is concerned, softens the connection point to the mask (I use the Breeze and the Aura) and - on my curly hair - doesn't slip around, and makes fitting the mask to my face easier as well.

I think that a tennis sock turned inside out would probably be stable on smooth hair as well.

O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023