Traveling with CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
steph1961

Traveling with CPAP

Post by steph1961 » Thu May 10, 2007 12:38 pm

Okay, humor me please as I am sure this subject has been covered endlessly. I just don't have a lot of time to go through 388 pages of post to find it.

I will be traveling to Scotland next month and I was wondering if I could use my CPAP in flight. I am not thrilled about doing this as I find it terribly embarassing that I am afllicted with this but I also do not want to be extremely tired when I arrive.

I know that there are batteries available for CPAP. Do any of you know how to go about finding out whether I can use CPAP on Continental? Also, what do you do, hold the machine on your lap, put it on the floor, or what? I am baffled.

Again, I am sure this has been covered before, but can someone please answer? Thanks.

zzzzzz!!

Re: Traveling with CPAP

Post by zzzzzz!! » Thu May 10, 2007 1:55 pm

steph1961 wrote:Do any of you know how to go about finding out whether I can use CPAP on Continental?
Have you tried calling Continental to ask them?

odawa

Post by odawa » Thu May 10, 2007 2:06 pm

I found this under the CPAP faq's
cpaptalk-faq.php?FCID=32#32
I hope it helps. I know that the machine goes on as a carryon, an extra carryon. not to be charged extra for, but read the link, it has alot of answers.

RichCMH

Post by RichCMH » Thu May 10, 2007 5:19 pm

Call Continental. Get a seat assignment that would have an outlet on it if possible. Go the battery route as a last resort, it's just one more thing to carry. I would assume the flight is New York (EWR) to Edinburgh, Scotland (EDI) which is less than 7 hrs. I doubt you won't get much sleep anyway.

Remember in Europe check in time for international flights are very early, Continental can answer that too.

Have fun!

billbolton

Re: Traveling with CPAP

Post by billbolton » Thu May 10, 2007 8:26 pm

steph1961 wrote:I know that there are batteries available for CPAP. Do any of you know how to go about finding out whether I can use CPAP on Continental? Also, what do you do, hold the machine on your lap, put it on the floor, or what? I am baffled.

Again, I am sure this has been covered before, but can someone please answer? Thanks.
I wrote something for "Our Collective Wisdom" on this last year, but it seems to have disappeared

Basically, the first thing you need to do is call the "Special Handling" group at Continental and tell them you will need to use a CPAP in flight. They will be able to tell you what is and isn't possible (see below) for the seat class you are travelling in, and what specific things you may need to do. They will should also be able to advise you on any specific issues with carry-on etc even if you can't use your CPAP machine in flight.

In terms of your more specific questions, airline policies vary widely as far as using CPAP in flight. Some are fine with batteries, some don't like them at all and prefer you use onboard power (if its available). You may need an adapter to be able to use the on-board power, and which type of adapter you need will depend on the airline and aircraft model involved.

Machine placement is a similar issue. In general the airlines seem to like you to have a CPAP machine off the floor, so that pretty much means on your tray-table unless you are travelling in business or first class and have some more room to play with.

Cheers,

Bill

Mad Maddy

Using c-flex in flight

Post by Mad Maddy » Fri May 11, 2007 10:18 am

Dear friend,
I have asked this very same question to my respiratory therapist,he and others say ca-pap doesn't work while we are awake.I wanted to use my in the car (not driving) plugged into the cigarette lighter. The Auto M-series by respironics have such an adapter, However, I found out by reading there own web site that it is only good when the motor is off, because it would burn up the machine. It sounds like you may have hyponea, altitude problems, myself include, and therefore needing either oxyen with me traveling by car going over mountains and or airline travel.
However you may need the airline to use their oxygen or get a RX from your doctor to your DME to get a portable oxygen unit with extra batteries for a long flight. I just found this out my self. So unless you don't have oxygen I suggest you first call the airline, some charge for you to use their oxygen in flight,also if ask them if you'll need a medically necessity note from your doctor for the oxygen, others will let you bring a battery-pack oxygen unit with extra batteries on board.The unit of oxygen last about 3 hrs so you will for sure have to have at least 1 if not two extra batteries with you for your portable.Your DME should know this.Some DME's do this at no charge.
I also suggest you carry on your c-pap machine and be sure to have an extension cord, and a convertor for the wiring Voltage to where your going, if your c-pap machine allows one. Good Luck with it, hope you have a great trip.
I hope this was of some help.
Mad Maddy

RichCMH

Post by RichCMH » Fri May 11, 2007 3:25 pm

I am not familiar with any US airline that allows you to carry on your own bottled oxygen. Airlines will provide (and most likely for a fee) bottled oxygen for air travel. The traveller MUST call in advance to have the oxygen tank (or tanks if it's a long flight) available on board the aircraft.

A traveller with a Portable Oxygen Concentrator (POC) are allowed to use the POC but it MUST be approved for use by the airline prior to travel. The POC can be used on board usually for free. Batteries of course must be approved also.

For more information contact the airline you plan to fly!

-Cheers